Latest WINDERMERE progress photos

  • Peter Lenihan
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 4, 2005
      Bolgerados,

      I've posted my latest set of progress photos,with captions,
      over in the Bolger 4 files section here:

      The latest ones are indicated by the november 2005 date.With
      summer long gone and cold weather coming on fast,I look forward to
      getting the interior insulation installed really soon so that I may
      proceed with some serious painting and finishing work.
      If anyone knows of a good,reliable,safe and portable electric
      heater which can be left un-attended for 16 hour stretches....I
      would really appreciate hearing from you. As it is now, I'm
      considering one of those portable oil-filled electric heaters that
      resemble the old water pipe radiators of lore...........
      At any rate,feel free to ask questions or add comments :-)

      Sincerely,

      Peter Lenihan,eager to get on with some nice"easy" interior
      finishing as the days grow shorter,colder and lonelier at the
      boatyard along the Seaway..........
    • Stefan Probst
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 5, 2005
        --- "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@h...> wrote:

        > Bolgerados,
        >
        > I've posted my latest set of progress photos,with captions,
        > over in the Bolger 4 files section here:

        Can't somebody get this guy arrested for the crime of making everybody
        go green with envy? Bruce: What about some Port to slow him down?

        Stefan

        PS: regarding the heater: Depends very much on the location, I guess.
        Electricity is expensive in many places. I have here a heater that
        uses a bottle of gas. Can be used only in large rooms, but that would
        be no problem in your place.
      • Ken
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 5, 2005
          Looks great Peter!
          I was wondering, did you glass the interior roof panels or just primer them?
          Also, what kind of promer are you using?
          Thanks,
          Ken
          Peter Lenihan wrote:

          >Bolgerados,
          >
          > I've posted my latest set of progress photos,with captions,
          >over in the Bolger 4 files section here:

          > The latest ones are indicated by the november 2005 date.With
          >summer long gone and cold weather coming on fast,I look forward to
          >getting the interior insulation installed really soon so that I may
          >proceed with some serious painting and finishing work.
          > If anyone knows of a good,reliable,safe and portable electric
          >heater which can be left un-attended for 16 hour stretches....I
          >would really appreciate hearing from you. As it is now, I'm
          >considering one of those portable oil-filled electric heaters that
          >resemble the old water pipe radiators of lore...........
          > At any rate,feel free to ask questions or add comments :-)
          >

          >Sincerely,
          >
          >Peter Lenihan,eager to get on with some nice"easy" interior
          >finishing as the days grow shorter,colder and lonelier at the
          >boatyard along the Seaway..........
          >

          >Bolger rules!!!
          >- no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead horses
          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Lewis E. Gordon
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 5, 2005
            Regarding the heater: Living here in Nicaragua we certainly don't need
            a heater, but I think even the best of the ceramic gas bottle heaters
            will put water vapor into the space which might lead to condensation
            in Peter's location. When in the States, we used one of the oil filled
            radiator heaters for twenty years with great success. Of course that
            was in Tennessee and North Carolina where the winters were not too
            bad. Ours had a "tip over" switch (which worked) and was not too bad
            on electricity usage on the low setting (which I think was about 550
            watts). I would trust one of these for 16 hours of unattended usage.

            Lewis

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Probst" <stefan.probst@o...> wrote:

            > --- "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@h...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Bolgerados,
            > >
            > > I've posted my latest set of progress photos,with captions,
            > > over in the Bolger 4 files section here:

            > Can't somebody get this guy arrested for the crime of making everybody
            > go green with envy? Bruce: What about some Port to slow him down?
            >
            > Stefan
            >
            > PS: regarding the heater: Depends very much on the location, I guess.
            > Electricity is expensive in many places. I have here a heater that
            > uses a bottle of gas. Can be used only in large rooms, but that would
            > be no problem in your place.

          • Rick Bedard
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 5, 2005
              Peter,

              As always, it's a bright spot in my day when I review your updates... Thanks.

              Unseen in the photos are the many, many hundreds of hours of toil between the snapshots you send, but I know they are there, and the results show... You must have an epoxy and sandpaper budget approaching the national debt of many countries..

              Question 1
              I know we discussed this many months (years?) ago, but my menory fails and I'm too lazy to search the archives. What primer / finish paint have you decided to use?

              Question 2
              How high above the cabin sole is the helm station floor? From what I can tell it looks quite a bit elevated. Is it? If so, did Bolger design steps to get up or are you relying on the energy of your youthful "spring in your step" to climb up there? Also, is there headroom to stand behind the helm or do you drive standing on the cabin sole next to the helm?

              Heater thoughts.

              Strongly suggest you stick to electric. In addition to the safety issue, a byproduct of combustion heaters is water vapor, no good for epoxy work in a confined space. I have two small electric heaters, about $100 each that I use in similar situations (although nowhere near your frigid conditions). They are ceramic disc heaters, with internal fan, adjustible thermostat settings, automatic shutoff if overheated or if tilted/knocked over. To test possible flamability hazards I wrapped tissue paper around the face of one and left it on highest setting inside a metal bucket with a lid for a few hours. Bucket was hot, (didn't think to add a thermometer) yet the tissue was not even scorched. I'll check the brand name and model number when I get to the boatshed later today..

              One other "heating" thought. I've used an old electric blanket over plastic over epoxywork (perhaps under everything would have been better) to keep the temp up enough for an overnight cure on what we call a cold night out here.

              Thanks for the pics....
              Rick Bedard

              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 5, 2005
                wrote:
                >> Can't somebody get this guy arrested for the crime of making
                everybody
                > go green with envy? Bruce: What about some Port to slow him down?
                >
                > Stefan
                >
                > PS: regarding the heater: Depends very much on the location, I
                guess.
                > Electricity is expensive in many places. I have here a heater that
                > uses a bottle of gas. Can be used only in large rooms, but that
                would
                > be no problem in your place.

                Hi Stefan,

                Thanks!The day Port slows me down,I'll have to start drinking,
                (heaven
                forbid) white wine...:-D
                The best cure for envy is a pile of wood,some tools and a
                plan:-)

                The gas heater scares the willies right out of me.....I really do
                not
                want to make it on the front page of the local papers with a caption
                under my photo reading"Amateur boatbuilder held for questioning
                after
                fire causes total loss at boat yard.Yard owner,Mr
                Ipeenightly,estimates loses to exceed $5 million.Cause of fire
                believed to be from bottle gas heater recommended by Stefan
                Probst" :-D

                Electricity IS cheap where I am at.

                Sincerely,

                Peter Lenihan,who would dearly love to have Bruce come by with a
                bottle of Port to slow me down(ha!) and will stand anyone,who cares
                to drop by, a fair goblette or two of that wonderful juice,from
                along the shores of the St.Lawrence............

              • Peter Lenihan
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 5, 2005
                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Ken <renueden@e...> wrote:

                  > Looks great Peter!
                  > I was wondering, did you glass the interior roof panels or just
                  primer them?
                  > Also, what kind of promer are you using?
                  > Thanks,
                  > Ken

                  Hello Ken,

                  Thanks for the compliment! There is no 'glassing of the
                  interior panels anywhere,especially on the ceiling/roof panels
                  since;a)the roof is already a substantial structure in and of itself
                  and will be 'glassed only on the outside. b)You're a better man then
                  me if you would do some upside down 'glassing :-)

                  For all my interior surfaces above the sole,I am using a
                  product called Polyprep 3 from Sico paints.If this link works,scroll
                  down near the bottom of the page;

                  http://www.sico.com/En/Architecture_Autpolpro.asp

                  I find it to be a nice easy product to apply,dries very quickly
                  and is rather high build.That is,it dries fast enough to apply
                  several coats in one day and it sands very easily.Some may argue
                  that there are better products out there and/or a primer is not
                  needed
                  on MDO surfaces.They may also be right too but perhaps they are not
                  as obsessive as me....dam the demon drink! The only down side is
                  that it stinks like hell when applying it and one must wear a gas
                  mask,especially in enclosed spaces.

                  Sincerely,

                  Peter Lenihan, who just realized that perhaps it has more to do with
                  actually enjoying the whole process and that the drink is but a balm
                  to even out the odd bumps along the road of life(yeah right!)......
                • Peter Lenihan
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 5, 2005
                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Lewis E. Gordon"
                    <l_gordon_nica@y...> wrote:
                    >When in the States, we used one of the oil filled
                    > radiator heaters for twenty years with great success. Of course
                    that
                    > was in Tennessee and North Carolina where the winters were not too
                    > bad. Ours had a "tip over" switch (which worked) and was not too
                    bad
                    > on electricity usage on the low setting (which I think was about
                    550
                    > watts). I would trust one of these for 16 hours of unattended
                    usage.

                    > Lewis

                    Thanks Lewis! That's exactly what I was hoping to hear,solid
                    experience with a reliable and SAFE heater. I think I'm just about
                    sold on them now. And yes,come to think about it,if I were to use
                    any type of combustable fuel,no matter how safe,I will have a high
                    moisture condensation problem once the really cold weather gets here.
                    Want me to send you a post-card with a lovely picture of deep snow
                    on it.....just so you don't get too spoiled with all that warm
                    weather down your way? :-)

                    Sincerely,

                    Peter Lenihan
                  • Peter Lenihan
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 6, 2005
                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Rick Bedard <sctree@y...> wrote:
                      > Unseen in the photos are the many, many hundreds of hours of toil
                      between the snapshots you send, but I know they are there, and the
                      results show... You must have an epoxy and sandpaper budget
                      approaching the national debt of many countries..

                      Hi Rick!
                      Thanks for the kind words! Yes,there are many hours of toil
                      (which is actually what I tell all my friends) but truth be
                      told,those are really many hours of some of the funnest toils I've
                      ever had.Of course,being nothing more then a boat-bum at heart,there
                      are also many hours of simple,mindless, gazing about and sipping
                      from goblettes various.Surely you can't count that as toil unless
                      you include hauling the cork up through the neck of the bottle
                      without a proper cork screw.I'm working on a patent for this device
                      as we speak :-)

                      The epoxy budget(ha!) long ago was dispatched into the ether
                      since it served no meaningful purpose other then to make me feel sad
                      for not buying stock in Dow Chemicals. Sanding,on the other hand,is
                      remarkably"cheap" since the paper I am using just doesn't want to
                      quit.The 40 weight takes hours to get down to 80 weight and that in
                      turn takes hours more before it reaches 100 weight.Imagine that,you
                      only need to buy one weight of paper for all your eventual finishing
                      needs:-) An added bonus with sanding,especially hand sanding,is that
                      it is a close cousin to all that mindless gazing refered to
                      above.You might say I've grown accustomed to this particular state
                      of mind..........

                      > Question 1
                      > I know we discussed this many months (years?) ago, but my menory
                      fails and I'm too lazy to search the archives. What primer / finish
                      paint have you decided to use?

                      For all outside surfaces,I use Benjamin Moores' M33/M34 polyamide
                      epoxy primer.This same stuff is also used everywhere bellow the
                      cabin sole ie;the entire bilge.Comes in two colours:Rogue Red and
                      Gay Gray
                      For outside colours,it will also be a Benjamin Moore product
                      aliphatic(sp) two part paint.Tough as bullets and colour fast.The
                      inside will see Sicos' Polyprep3 as base primer and finish coats
                      probable a nice thick oil based house paint.

                      > Question 2
                      > How high above the cabin sole is the helm station floor? From what
                      I can tell it looks quite a bit elevated. Is it? If so, did Bolger
                      design steps to get up or are you relying on the energy of your
                      youthful "spring in your step" to climb up there? Also, is there
                      headroom to stand behind the helm or do you drive standing on the
                      cabin sole next to the helm?

                      Cabin headroom throughout is a generous 6'6+,depending on where you
                      are standing.The helm station is on a slightly raised platform
                      requiring about a 7" step up(or down if you're just coming in
                      through the cabin to use the head ;-) )One can either stand or sit
                      at the helm station.Lots of room either way!Bellow the helm sole,is
                      the
                      forward battery storage hold for six large deep cycle batteries.The
                      other six are located against the aft bulkhead of the stateroom.This
                      considerable charge of batteries serves to give one impressive
                      autonomy and is considered critical to Windermeres' overall stability
                      (ballast/displacement ratio).The entire layout is done with great
                      consideration from our Hero for it effectively permits one to get
                      around anywhere in the boat on ones hands and knees, a potentially
                      useful feature,especially after a visit from Le Baron de Kingston:-)

                      > Heater thoughts.

                      Yup....combustion is definitely out of the question! Electric is the
                      way to go for me since it is already included in my rental fee for
                      my space and,based on pole results,can offer trouble free safe
                      heat.....or so I understand.It is the flaming red hot toaster
                      element in most heaters that does scare me thus my interest in the
                      oil filled versions.

                      So,how did those beams you were building come out for you ?
                      Pictures/story behind them perhaps :-)

                      All the best!

                      Sincerely,

                      Peter Lenihan,eternally jealous of those folks living in mild gentle
                      climates......RATS!......from along the shores of you know where :-)
                    • Stefan Probst
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 6, 2005
                        --- "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@h...> wrote:
                        > The best cure for envy is a pile of wood, some tools and a
                        > plan :-)

                        .. and bank to pay ...
                        - the imported outdoor quality ply
                        - a house large enough to accomodate such a big ship
                        (I read that if a vessel can take another boat on board,
                        then it is a "ship". What is it, if it can take a whole Port
                        on board?)
                        - all the spare time ...

                        anyway. Dreams are free of charge....
                        And one of my greatest joys is to proof others wrong who say "never
                        can do".

                        Cheers,
                        Stefan
                      • James Greene
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 6, 2005
                          Wood burning stoves dry thing out, and that's just the opposite of
                          creating moisture build-up. There are numerous wood buring stoves
                          available with automatic feeders that will run for far longer than 16
                          hours at a time before the fuel hopper is empty.

                          James Greene

                          On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 06:55:08 -0000, Peter Lenihan wrote:
                          > And yes,come to think about it,if I were to use
                          > any type of combustable fuel,no matter how safe,I will have a high
                          > moisture condensation problem once the really cold weather gets here.
                        • Nels
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 6, 2005
                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, James Greene <jg6892@g...> wrote:

                            > Wood burning stoves dry thing out, and that's just the opposite of
                            > creating moisture build-up. There are numerous wood buring stoves
                            > available with automatic feeders that will run for far longer than
                            16
                            > hours at a time before the fuel hopper is empty.
                            >
                            > James Greene

                            Hi James,

                            Although what you say is true, it may be rather impractical to
                            install a wood-burning stove with feeder in a temporary boat
                            shelter. The chimney construction alone is a rather formidable
                            expense and also involves certain zoning regulations up here in
                            Canada.

                            An RV furnace would be a viable alternative. They have a totaly
                            enclosed combustion chamber with heat exchanger and can be vented
                            outside with a straight double walled tube which draws outside air
                            in through the outer section and exhausts the fumes through the
                            inner section. Most of these use propane which can be connected from
                            outside the shop.

                            The drawback is that one can buy several electric heaters for the
                            price of one of these and not have to worry about venting or propane
                            tanks.

                            Using electrical resistance is one hell of an inefficient way to
                            create heat but electricity is relatively cheap in Canada. Even
                            compared to wood. Especially if your rental space includes free
                            electricity.

                            I really like the idea of an electric blanket. That way if you
                            indulge in one too many goblets of port just crawl under the blanket
                            and you can dream of tropical sand beaches while at the same time
                            helping your epoxy cure:-)

                            Nels

                            Nels
                          • Peter Lenihan
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 7, 2005
                              > I really like the idea of an electric blanket. That way if you
                              > indulge in one too many goblets of port just crawl under the blanket
                              > and you can dream of tropical sand beaches while at the same time
                              > helping your epoxy cure:-)
                              >
                              > Nels

                              Only a real prairre pirate,accustomed to the undulating waves of wheat
                              from Canadas' sub-tropical zone would ever consider crawling into bed
                              with a few bits of wood and some un-cured epoxy.The thought of waking
                              with a substantial and now permanent"woody" appended to ones anatomy
                              is a...er....rather scary at best,no matter how giddy it makes the
                              ladies or however much they may be seen to fall to their knees,arms
                              out-stretched,gazing toward the ceiling and repeating in a loud
                              voice,"Thank you Jesus!Thank you Jesus!My prayers have been answered!"

                              Beyond that and FYI,there is no such animal as"too-many-goblets-of-
                              port" however there does exist in the more obscure annals of medical
                              science such a creature as"emptybottleitis"(pronounced "crying shame")
                              and this can lead to a wide range of behaviors,least of which is
                              running stark neked down mainstreet screaming like a banshee for ones
                              mommy as we try to locate the nearest clinic(pronounced"liquore
                              store") to re-new our prescription(pronounced"bottle").All reasonable
                              means should be employed to avoid contracting this miserable
                              affliction.See Big Bad Bruce,AKA Le Baron de Kingston for appropriate
                              actions regarding prevention/remedy.

                              Just trying to be helpful :-)

                              Sincerely,

                              Peter Lenihan,with anti-bodies galore and lots of medicine in the wine
                              cellar.....OOOPS!.....I mean medicine cabinet :-)
                            • Paul Lefebvre
                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 7, 2005
                                Peter,

                                I've had several of those oil-filled electric radiators that I've used in my
                                basement wood shop, garage, and most importantly, inside my micro last
                                winter for some interior work. They work great and are very safe, though you
                                may need 2 or 3 for a space the size of the interior of your boat. If there
                                is a weak point/high risk area it may be the extension cord you use to run
                                it - I noticed on one occasion when I had one running on 'high' (1500W)
                                while plugged into a lighter-duty cord (shop quality, but not the real thick
                                ones) that the area around the socket, and the wire right nearby, got too
                                hot to touch. So if you're real concerned about safety -and who wouldn't be
                                after so much work and such a beautiful product starting to show itself-
                                invest in some high-grade wires to hook it up.

                                Bought the lumber for my hoop-shed Saturday; hope to use the upcoming long
                                weekend to get a snowproof (this time!) boatshed erected so I can finish up
                                my Micro before next June!

                                Paul Lefebvre

                                > I really like the idea of an electric blanket. That way if you
                                > indulge in one too many goblets of port just crawl under the blanket
                                > and you can dream of tropical sand beaches while at the same time
                                > helping your epoxy cure:-)
                                >
                                > Nels

                                Only a real prairre pirate,accustomed to the undulating waves of wheat
                                from Canadas' sub-tropical zone would ever consider crawling into bed
                                with a few bits of wood and some un-cured epoxy.The thought of waking
                                with a substantial and now permanent"woody" appended to ones anatomy
                                is a...er....rather scary at best,no matter how giddy it makes the
                                ladies or however much they may be seen to fall to their knees,arms
                                out-stretched,gazing toward the ceiling and repeating in a loud
                                voice,"Thank you Jesus!Thank you Jesus!My prayers have been answered!"

                                Beyond that and FYI,there is no such animal as"too-many-goblets-of-
                                port" however there does exist in the more obscure annals of medical
                                science such a creature as"emptybottleitis"(pronounced "crying shame")
                                and this can lead to a wide range of behaviors,least of which is
                                running stark neked down mainstreet screaming like a banshee for ones
                                mommy as we try to locate the nearest clinic(pronounced"liquore
                                store") to re-new our prescription(pronounced"bottle").All reasonable
                                means should be employed to avoid contracting this miserable
                                affliction.See Big Bad Bruce,AKA Le Baron de Kingston for appropriate
                                actions regarding prevention/remedy.

                                Just trying to be helpful :-)

                                Sincerely,

                                Peter Lenihan,with anti-bodies galore and lots of medicine in the wine
                                cellar.....OOOPS!.....I mean medicine cabinet :-)

                                Bolger rules!!!
                                - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead
                                horses
                                (978) 282-1349
                                Yahoo! Groups Links
                              • adventures_in_astrophotography
                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 7, 2005
                                  Hi Peter,

                                  > I've posted my latest set of progress photos,with captions,
                                  > over in the Bolger 4 files section here:
                                  ...snip...

                                  Wow! Nice work, indeed. How many miles of fillets that must be!

                                  > If anyone knows of a good,reliable,safe and portable electric
                                  > heater which can be left un-attended for 16 hour stretches....I
                                  > would really appreciate hearing from you. As it is now, I'm
                                  > considering one of those portable oil-filled electric heaters that
                                  > resemble the old water pipe radiators of lore...........

                                  We use one of these oil radiator types in our basement. Can't remember
                                  the brand, but we've used it for hours and hours on end with no
                                  troubles over perhaps 7 or 8 years now.

                                  Jon Kolb
                                  http://www.kolbsadventures.com/boatbuilding_index.htm
                                • Philip Smith
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 7, 2005
                                    Since you really only need to warm the boat while the
                                    epoxy is being applied, I can imagine an open bottom
                                    box that fits over the boat. I'd make the box out of
                                    thick rigid foam insulation, probably in two or more
                                    parts, so I could keep it knocked down and out of the
                                    way when I was attempting to get work done. An
                                    electric heater or two under the boat and the box
                                    could keep everything in the box nice and toasty.

                                    This would allow you to experiment with Robb White's
                                    theory of hot wood in a cool environment drawing the
                                    expoxy into the wood's pores for deeper penetration.
                                    Warm the structure to be epoxied up in it's little
                                    hard sided tent. Mix the epoxy, which you could keep
                                    warm in a discarded refrigerator with a light bulb
                                    inside it. Knock down the warming structure. Apply the
                                    goop to the warm/hot wood or cloth on wood. Let the
                                    wood cool down and draw the epoxy into it's little
                                    pores.

                                    Of course if you are building a big boat it might be
                                    difficult to construct the structure. However if you
                                    are building the boat pannel by pannel in Bolger
                                    approved fashion, the structure wouldn't have to be
                                    very tall. It wouldn't necessarily have to extend all
                                    the way to the floor. Curtains could keep out the
                                    drafts and physics can keep the heat on the work area.

                                    If it worked really well on the pannels you could
                                    extend the sides to join the pannels together or slack
                                    off until warm weather...

                                    Just a thought.

                                    Phil Smith
                                  • Lewis E. Gordon
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 7, 2005
                                      Peter,

                                      Thanks for the kind offer of a snowscape postcard, but I really don't
                                      miss that wet white stuff! Just post a photo this winter of the snow
                                      half way up your boat building shed! Than again, this is supposed to
                                      be a warm winter in North America. I guess all these hurricane heat
                                      pumps have shifted our heat to the north. I always enjoy your posts
                                      for the humor that must help you keep your sanity is such a large
                                      building project.

                                      Paul made a good point in an earlier reply about extension cords.
                                      Unfortunately, thickness does not always equal sufficient wire gauge!
                                      I have seen extension cords as thick as my thumb with puny 14 ga.
                                      wire! You have to look closely. In my shop I have two 50 foot, 10 ga.,
                                      four conductor cords surplused from a large computer de-installation
                                      years ago. They sure are handy!

                                      Cheers, and looking forward to more progress photos. We all hope to
                                      see some soon of Windmere in the water.

                                      Lewis,
                                      On the shores of Lake Nicaragua looking out the window on a beautiful
                                      day with a gentle wind blowing in off the lake.

                                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@h...> wrote:

                                      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Lewis E. Gordon"
                                      > <l_gordon_nica@y...> wrote:
                                      > >When in the States, we used one of the oil filled
                                      > > radiator heaters for twenty years with great success. Of course
                                      > that
                                      > > was in Tennessee and North Carolina where the winters were not too
                                      > > bad. Ours had a "tip over" switch (which worked) and was not too
                                      > bad
                                      > > on electricity usage on the low setting (which I think was about
                                      > 550
                                      > > watts). I would trust one of these for 16 hours of unattended
                                      > usage.
                                      > >
                                      > > Lewis
                                      >
                                      > Thanks Lewis! That's exactly what I was hoping to hear,solid
                                      > experience with a reliable and SAFE heater. I think I'm just about
                                      > sold on them now. And yes,come to think about it,if I were to use
                                      > any type of combustable fuel,no matter how safe,I will have a high
                                      > moisture condensation problem once the really cold weather gets here.
                                      > Want me to send you a post-card with a lovely picture of deep snow
                                      > on it.....just so you don't get too spoiled with all that warm
                                      > weather down your way? :-)
                                      >
                                      > Sincerely,
                                      >
                                      > Peter Lenihan

                                    • Nels
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 7, 2005
                                        <l_gordon_nica@y...> wrote:

                                        > Peter,
                                        I always enjoy your posts
                                        > for the humor that must help you keep your sanity in such a large
                                        > building project.

                                        Humor? What humor? Sanity? What sanity?

                                        > Paul made a good point in an earlier reply about extension cords.
                                        > Unfortunately, thickness does not always equal sufficient wire
                                        gauge!
                                        > I have seen extension cords as thick as my thumb with puny 14 ga.
                                        > wire! You have to look closely. In my shop I have two 50 foot, 10
                                        ga.,
                                        > four conductor cords surplused from a large computer de-
                                        installation
                                        > years ago. They sure are handy!

                                        I would also like to add, that I agree it will take more than one
                                        oil-filled radiator to heat that much volume and also one should
                                        consider that there is still power required for the lights and tool
                                        usage. One would require two heavy duty extension cords.

                                        Therefor if one is going to get serious it might be cheaper and far
                                        safer to install a subpanel directly from the main panel of the
                                        building from where you are getting your power supply. A 60 amp sub-
                                        panel would use shielded 6/3 cable which is far superior and cheaper
                                        than two extension cords. (You have to bury it at least 18" though.)

                                        It would be equivalent to running power to a one-car garage.

                                        http://ths.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/wiring/2005015726007600.html

                                        Nels
                                      • Philip Smith
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Nov 7, 2005
                                          Nels is correct. Then you also want to make sure that
                                          your house's pannel and service is adequate for the
                                          additional demand.

                                          This sort of seems like an endless and potentially
                                          expensive loop, but new pannels and adequate service
                                          are less expensive than burning up either the boat and
                                          shed or the house or the house, the boat and the shed.
                                          (Don't park in the garage. Keep some sleeping bags in
                                          the car...)

                                          Phil Smith

                                          http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/_0TolB/TM

                                          > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming,
                                          > respamming, or flogging dead horses
                                          > thanks, Fred' posts
                                          > - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts,
                                          > and snip away
                                          > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209,
                                          > Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
                                          > - Open discussion:
                                          > bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                        • Rick Bedard
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Nov 7, 2005
                                            A 2 1/2" drywall screw and a pair of plyers will get those pesky corks from bottles of California whites. Don't know if it works on Canadian reds..

                                            Some tough sandpaper you got there...

                                            BM's M 33/34, thanks. Now I remember.

                                            The helm on Windermere sounds perfect...

                                            My beam project came out perfect. It's for a boat of course. Plywood sailboat. Motorsailer really. Trailerable, shoal draft, 20' LOA, 8' beam. Boxy, but not Bolger, so pics will be posted eleswhere.

                                            Thanks,
                                            Rick

> [...]

                                            around anywhere in the boat on ones hands and knees, a potentially
                                            useful feature,especially after a visit from Le Baron de Kingston:-)

                                            > Heater thoughts.

                                            Yup....combustion is definitely out of the question! Electric is the
                                            way to go for me since it is already included in my rental fee for
                                            my space and,based on pole results,can offer trouble free safe
                                            heat.....or so I understand.It is the flaming red hot toaster
                                            element in most heaters that does scare me thus my interest in the
                                            oil filled versions.

                                            So,how did those beams you were building come out for you ?
                                            Pictures/story behind them perhaps :-)

                                            All the best!

                                            Sincerely,

                                            Peter Lenihan,eternally jealous of those folks living in mild gentle
                                            climates......RATS!......from along the shores of you know where :-)

                                            Alaska outdoors Boating magazine Boating safety