Re: [bolger] How about this for a motor?

  • Harry James
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 1, 2005
      Here is a boat custom designed for a diesel like this.

      http://www.georgebuehler.com/Pilgrim.html

      HJ

      Bruce Hallman wrote:

      >http://www.f1-rocketboy.com/lister.html
      >
      >Anybody else like the look of this diesel motor,
      >and which boat to put it in?
      >

      >Bolger rules!!!
      >- no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead horses
      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Michael Rose
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 2, 2005
        The very name of Lister makes me nostalgic for the
        English canals, where there are still many in use. I
        had a narrowboat there with a 3 cylinder air cooled
        Lister which, though a bit noisy, just chugged on and
        on and on.

        Deek

        Bolger rules!!!
        - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming,
        or flogging dead horses
        - stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed,
        thanks, Fred' posts
        - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts,
        and snip away
        - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209,
        Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
        - Open discussion:
        bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        Terms of Service.

        ---------------------------------

      • russingram
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 5, 2005

          > http://www.f1-rocketboy.com/lister.html
          >
          > Anybody else like the look of this diesel motor,
          > and which boat to put it in?

          available on ebay:

          http://cgi.ebay.com/12-HP-Slow-Speed-Diesel-Engine-Lister-2-
          Cylinder_W0QQitemZ7558640902QQcategoryZ11754QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmd
          ZViewItem
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 5, 2005
            That is the two cylinder model, there is also a one cyliner version.
            The shipping works out to be $867 to my house! The motor is
            certainly big and heavy for a boat, but heavy (down low) is good.

            Web searching finds a couple other sources, including:

            http://oldstylelisters.com/

            I guess it would requires a belt drive to the driveshaft? With the
            motor mounted sideways?
          • russingram
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 5, 2005
              I've seen comment on some web pages that these motors are for
              stationary installation, only. Anyone know why, or why they couldn't
              be used in a boat?

              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 5, 2005
                I think these motors are straight forward clones of old fashioned
                Lister's and they were used in boats. They are just cast iron. super
                strong and simple, the 'downside' is that they are quite heavy.

                On 11/5/05, russingram <russingram@...> wrote:
                > I've seen comment on some web pages that these motors are for
                > stationary installation, only. Anyone know why, or why they couldn't
                > be used in a boat?
              • russingram
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 6, 2005
                  I think it be great to go chugging along with a motor like one of
                  these...

                  > I think these motors are straight forward clones of old fashioned
                  > Lister's and they were used in boats. They are just cast iron. super
                  > strong and simple, the 'downside' is that they are quite heavy.
                  >
                  > On 11/5/05, russingram <russingram@h...> wrote:
                  > > I've seen comment on some web pages that these motors are for
                  > > stationary installation, only. Anyone know why, or why they
                  couldn't
                  > > be used in a boat?

                • Philip Smith
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 6, 2005
                    More downsides are that they aren't very efficient and
                    they are very dirty.

                    You can get an air/oil cooled Deutz that runs cleaner,
                    weighs half as much, probably get 50% or better better
                    milage and has a worldwide parts network and parts
                    that are readily available for about the same money if
                    you buy a used one. Plus you don't have to put one or
                    two of those pesky holes in the bottom of your boat to
                    let in and let out water. The Deutz just might run as
                    long as the Lister too.

                    Phil Smith

                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/_0TolB/TM

                    > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming,
                    > respamming, or flogging dead horses
                    > thanks, Fred' posts
                    > - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts,
                    > and snip away
                    > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209,
                    > Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
                    > - Open discussion:
                    > bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Ron Butterfield
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 6, 2005
                      At 11:00 AM 11/5/05, Bruce Hallman wrote:
                      >I guess it would requires a belt drive to the driveshaft? With the
                      >motor mounted sideways?

                      There are some comments on the generator sites of mounting a drive lug to
                      the center of one of the flywheels, and using a flexible spider type
                      coupling. There are also comments that these inline couplings are _very_
                      sensitive to mis-alignment.

                      Regards,
                      Ron Butterfield
                    • ANDREW AIREY
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 6, 2005
                        This sort of engine was used extensively to power UK
                        narrow canal boats.Very authentic but after a day
                        standing over them - the engine compartment is usually
                        under the steering position - and steering the boat
                        you get a very insidious form of fatigue.Not good
                        Cheers
                        Andy Airey

                        ---------------------------------

                      • G DAVID THOMSON
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 6, 2005
                          We had a boat diesel engine company here in British Columbia during the early 1900's, called Easthope. Single large piston, heavy flywheel, large prop, very low RPM. ...they apparently were VERY popular with commercial fisherman. I read in the early 1980's that the grand kids of the original owner started the company up again, using old tooling, making the same engine. I don't know what is happening with this company/engine now, if anything. Does anybody else know anything about theis engine/company?

                          ANDREW AIREY <andyairey@...> wrote: This sort of engine was used extensively to power UK
                          --- Philip Smith <pbs@...> wrote:

                          ---------------------------------

                          More downsides are that they aren't very efficient and
                          they are very dirty.

                          You can get an air/oil cooled Deutz that runs cleaner,
                          weighs half as much, probably get 50% or better better
                          milage and has a worldwide parts network and parts
                          that are readily available for about the same money if
                          you buy a used one. Plus you don't have to put one or
                          two of those pesky holes in the bottom of your boat to
                          let in and let out water. The Deutz just might run as
                          long as the Lister too.

                          Phil Smith

                          --- russingram <russingram@...> wrote:

                          > I think it be great to go chugging along with a
                          > motor like one of
                          > these...
                          >
                          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Hallman
                          > <bruce@h...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I think these motors are straight forward clones
                          > of old fashioned
                          > > Lister's and they were used in boats. They are
                          > just cast iron. super
                          > > strong and simple, the 'downside' is that they are
                          > quite heavy.
                          > >
                          > > On 11/5/05, russingram <russingram@h...> wrote:
                          > > > I've seen comment on some web pages that these
                          > motors are for
                          > > > stationary installation, only. Anyone know why,
                          > or why they
                          > couldn't
                          > > > be used in a boat?

                          > --------------------~-->
                          > Yahoo! your home page

                          http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/_0TolB/TM

                          > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming,
                          > respamming, or flogging dead horses
                          > thanks, Fred' posts
                          > - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts,
                          > and snip away
                          > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209,
                          > Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
                          > - Open discussion:
                          > bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          Bolger rules!!!
                          - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming,
                          or flogging dead horses
                          - stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed,
                          thanks, Fred' posts
                          - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts,
                          and snip away
                          - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209,
                          Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
                          - Open discussion:
                          bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                          Terms of Service.

                          ---------------------------------

                          Bolger rules!!!

                          Alaska outdoors Boating magazine Boating safety

                        • G DAVID THOMSON
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 6, 2005
                            I don't know if these India made Listeroids are fuel efficient or not. For countless generations here in British Columbia the British made Lister was always considered the best engine to power a generator in the bush. Are they dirty?? Probably not after you break them in and work on oil leaks. After reading all of The Lister Generator Project on Rocketboy ( http://www.f1-rocketboy.com/lister.html ), I wouldn't hesitate to try one, but I certainly would run it onshore for awhile to get all of the bug/leaks out. Right off I would install superior gaskets, fuel lines, and whatever else is mentioned at the above site (The Lister Generator Project). Make sense?? A fuel efficiency study needs to be done. ...comparisons to Perkins, Yanmar, Deutz, etc, etc. The Listeroid looks good to me, considering the cost.

                            Bolger rules!!!

                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 7, 2005
                              > I don't know if these India made Listeroids are fuel efficient or not.

                              If I recall correctly, one guy wrote that the 5KW generator he
                              built ran for three hours on one gallon of diesel fuel.
                            • russingram
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 7, 2005
                                That sounds right from what I've read, too. So if you could drive a
                                boat at a hull speed of 5 kts with one of these, fuel efficiency would
                                be pretty good.