Re: Trailerable Alaskan Motorsailor

  • Peter Lenihan
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2005

      > In Bolger6 I have added a file showing the Diesel Launch with an
      > Alaskan-style pilothouse and battened lug sail - thus turning it
      into
      > a trailerable Alsakan MS with no cargo capability.
      >
      > The file is called "trailerable2.jpg" I believe.

      > Nels

      Pretty neat Nels.But would you use a centerboard or leeboards for
      lateral resistance?
      Of coarse,I forgot,you are a true gentleman and would only ever sail
      downwind anyway :-)........

      Sincerely,

      Peter Lenihan

    • Nels
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2005
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@h...> >
        Pretty neat Nels.But would you use a centerboard or leeboards for
        > lateral resistance?
        > Of coarse,I forgot,you are a true gentleman and would only ever sail
        > downwind anyway :-)........
        >
        > Sincerely,
        >
        > Peter Lenihan

        Hi Peter,

        It has a full length box keel and the design philosophy is that the
        prop will be turning most of the time to hold a course, just like the
        Alaskan Motorsailor and the Small Motorsailor described in the Folder
        of that name in Bolger4 files. (Discuses both the pros and cons of
        such a design.)

        The diesel launch actually draws 8" more than the two Motorsailing
        designs. If a person installed the electric system that was recently
        written up in WB, one could motorsail for up to about 6 hours or more,
        at close to six knots or more without the generator even being run.
        But likely a small diesel turning a large prop would be the way to go
        for serious distances.

        However none of this is meant to be serious, as the diesel cruiser is
        almost 40 feet long I believe. But then some of the "picnic launches"
        of the past were longer than that! It would make a great cold water
        picnic boat complete with a small fireplace :-)

        Nels (Who - not a gentleman by any means, would rather drift with the
        wind than fight it;-)