Trailerable Alaskan Motorsailor

  • Nels
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 29, 2005
      As many of you know, Bolgeristas always want to add sails to a good
      rowboat, row a good sailboat or sail a good motorboat right?

      In Bolger6 I have added a file showing the Diesel Launch with an
      Alaskan-style pilothouse and battened lug sail - thus turning it into
      a trailerable Alsakan MS with no cargo capability.

      The file is called "trailerable2.jpg" I believe.

      Nels
    • Harry James
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 29, 2005
        Nels

        That is pretty much the change I thought of as soon as I saw the
        original. I would get rid of the bow cockpit also, it would be good for
        holding snow in the winter only, not much other use here. I guess I
        would give the junk rig a miss also as I don't think it would get used
        either. Put a sail on the dinghy and get your sailing in that way.

        HJ

        Nels wrote:

        >As many of you know, Bolgeristas always want to add sails to a good
        >rowboat, row a good sailboat or sail a good motorboat right?
        >
        >In Bolger6 I have added a file showing the Diesel Launch with an
        >Alaskan-style pilothouse and battened lug sail - thus turning it into
        >a trailerable Alsakan MS with no cargo capability.
        >
        >The file is called "trailerable2.jpg" I believe.

        >Nels
        >

        >Bolger rules!!!
        >- no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead horses
        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Nels
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 29, 2005
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Harry James <welshman@p...> wrote:

          > Nels
          >
          > That is pretty much the change I thought of as soon as I saw the
          > original. I would get rid of the bow cockpit also, it would be
          good for
          > holding snow in the winter only, not much other use here. I guess
          > would give the junk rig a miss also as I don't think it would get
          used
          > either. Put a sail on the dinghy and get your sailing in that way.
          >
          > HJ

          I have always liked the contention that Bolger has about small
          motorsailors being very practical. A white polytarp sail and light
          tabernacled mast offset to port of the foward companionway would
          make it fun for daysailing rather than just motoring, which I find
          boring and sometimes noisy. I also like the bow seats although a
          tonneau cover might be useful if the going gets rough.

          This looks like such an easily driven hull, perhaps it would be a
          candidate for an electic (inboard) drive using the batteries as
          ballast and a small genset for recharging.

          http://www.psnw.com/~jmrudholm/etekoutboard.html

          Of course it would no longer be a Bolger design would it?

          Nels
        • Peter Lenihan
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 31, 2005

            > In Bolger6 I have added a file showing the Diesel Launch with an
            > Alaskan-style pilothouse and battened lug sail - thus turning it
            into
            > a trailerable Alsakan MS with no cargo capability.
            >
            > The file is called "trailerable2.jpg" I believe.

            > Nels

            Pretty neat Nels.But would you use a centerboard or leeboards for
            lateral resistance?
            Of coarse,I forgot,you are a true gentleman and would only ever sail
            downwind anyway :-)........

            Sincerely,

            Peter Lenihan

          • Nels
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1, 2005
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@h...> >
              Pretty neat Nels.But would you use a centerboard or leeboards for
              > lateral resistance?
              > Of coarse,I forgot,you are a true gentleman and would only ever sail
              > downwind anyway :-)........
              >
              > Sincerely,
              >
              > Peter Lenihan

              Hi Peter,

              It has a full length box keel and the design philosophy is that the
              prop will be turning most of the time to hold a course, just like the
              Alaskan Motorsailor and the Small Motorsailor described in the Folder
              of that name in Bolger4 files. (Discuses both the pros and cons of
              such a design.)

              The diesel launch actually draws 8" more than the two Motorsailing
              designs. If a person installed the electric system that was recently
              written up in WB, one could motorsail for up to about 6 hours or more,
              at close to six knots or more without the generator even being run.
              But likely a small diesel turning a large prop would be the way to go
              for serious distances.

              However none of this is meant to be serious, as the diesel cruiser is
              almost 40 feet long I believe. But then some of the "picnic launches"
              of the past were longer than that! It would make a great cold water
              picnic boat complete with a small fireplace :-)

              Nels (Who - not a gentleman by any means, would rather drift with the
              wind than fight it;-)