Delaware Trawler Yacht Concept (revisited)

  • denisnh
    Message 1 of 41 , Oct 17, 2005
      I've been going over the Delaware postings. Jeez, things sure can
      get convoluted trying to follow the threads. Anyway, apologies if
      this has been covered already.

      Is there any news on Delaware? I have a feeling if the plans have
      not been released yet, perhaps PB&F are waiting for someone to hire
      them to finish the design before releasing the plans. When Col.
      Hassler was first introduced, I had a real interest in this boat, but
      it didn't meet my requirements as far as cruising with power under
      bare poles went. It would be nice to have that capability in the
      nothern lattitudes. Hassler is a bit too small and not enough range.

      Delaware reminds me a lot of Hassler except it's a trawler with
      plenty of range. It also looks like rigging up an auxiliary sail
      would be no problem. This boat looks like an ideal candidate for
      steel as well as wood/epoxy. I'm sure commissioning the completion
      of Delaware would be rather expensive, but I will certainly consider
      it at some point in the future.

      I need to get my subscriptions going again for MAIB and Wooden Boat.
      They lapsed and I never renewed them because of some personal
      issues. I assume Phil Bolger still has his regular column? There's
      been some talk here and there about him retiring. Does anyone know
      about this?

      Thanks,
      Denis
    • bharbo@online.no
      Message 41 of 41 , Nov 4, 2005
        "Nels" <arvent@...> writes:

        > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "donschultz8275" <donschultz@i...>
        > wrote:

        > I would suggest that a person view the videos of the Jochems by
        > PCB&F or Bjorn Harbo before deciding on any changes to the
        > superstracture.

        If anybody is still interested, my very amateurish
        home-made-sailing-video is still available.

        > And that schooner rig with all sails set is awesome from any kind of
        > of angle or backlit situation! Not to mention that it sails so
        > effortlessly without anyone having to get excited, that it may be
        > somewhat boring after awhile. The jib is self-tending and I believe
        > Bjorn set the staysail on the "wrong side" and Esmeralda never even
        > noticed. Of course the winds were quite light at the time.

        ahrmm... "wrong side"? not all the time.... (blush blush)