Birdwatcher-2 pictures

  • Bob Larkin
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 13, 2005
      I have updated the building photos at
      http://www.proaxis.com/~boblark/bw2_main.htm
      The recent ones have their links marked "new."

      The boat is almost ready for the polycarbonate and inner walls.

      Bob Larkin
      Corvallis, Oregon
    • Paul
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 14, 2005
        Bob,

        Tkanks for the update. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on
        that afterdeck.

        Paul

        > I have updated the building photos at
        > http://www.proaxis.com/~boblark/bw2_main.htm
      • Peter Lenihan
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 14, 2005
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Bob Larkin <boblark@p...> wrote:

          > I have updated the building photos at
          > http://www.proaxis.com/~boblark/bw2_main.htm
          > The recent ones have their links marked "new."
          >
          > The boat is almost ready for the polycarbonate and inner walls.
          >
          > Bob Larkin
          > Corvallis, Oregon

          Beautiful workmanship Mr.Larkin! Thanks for the pictures/up-dates
          but I just have to ask why you went with the pink styrofoam instead
          of the denser blue styrofoam?

          Continued building success!!

          Sincerely,

          Peter Lenihan
        • Bob larkin
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 15, 2005
            Peter, thanks for the comments.

            Good question about the foam. In the local stores, I only see the
            Owens-Corning Formular 150. I bought a sheet and made up some test
            beams, 2-inches wide. These were impressively strong, and I further
            tested it by walking (wearing sneakers) on the sheet laying on the
            floor. It left no permanent indication, other than from my dirty
            shoes. This is all not very scientific, but it looked better than I
            thought the stuff would be! I have never seen the Dow Styrafoam blue
            type, and would like to learn more. Can you add to this, as I still
            can switch? There must be someone selling Dow in Oregon.

            Bob

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@h...>
            > but I just have to ask why you went with the pink styrofoam instead
            > of the denser blue styrofoam?
            >
            > Continued building success!!
            >
            > Sincerely,
            >
            > Peter Lenihan

          • Gary Lepak
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 15, 2005
              I've used the blue and the pink foam for boatbuilding and windsurfer board
              building and weighed samples of both for comparison. They weighed the same
              and appeared to be the same texture etc. I heard the pink was lighter,
              which was why I weighed them. Wherever I've bought it only one color was
              offered.
              Gary Lepak

              > Beautiful workmanship Mr.Larkin! Thanks for the pictures/up-dates
              > but I just have to ask why you went with the pink styrofoam instead
              > of the denser blue styrofoam?

            • john h wright
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 15, 2005
                I have not bought Dow blue foam in a few years but at that time it could
                be bought in many thicknesses and in different densities (weights). My
                observation is that it is much more rigid (harder) and I think a better
                material that the OC pink for most of our purposes. Does anyone out
                there have better info than this. I am interested. Could you describe
                the test "beam" construction that you tested.

                On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 18:07:51 -0000 "Bob larkin" <boblark@...>
                writes:
                Peter, thanks for the comments.

                Good question about the foam. In the local stores, I only see the
                Owens-Corning Formular 150. I bought a sheet and made up some test
                beams, 2-inches wide. These were impressively strong, and I further
                tested it by walking (wearing sneakers) on the sheet laying on the
                floor. It left no permanent indication, other than from my dirty
                shoes. This is all not very scientific, but it looked better than I
                thought the stuff would be! I have never seen the Dow Styrafoam blue
                type, and would like to learn more. Can you add to this, as I still
                can switch? There must be someone selling Dow in Oregon.

                Bob

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@h...>
                > but I just have to ask why you went with the pink styrofoam instead
                > of the denser blue styrofoam?
                >
                > Continued building success!!
                >
                > Sincerely,
                >
                > Peter Lenihan

                Bolger rules!!!
                - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead
                horses
                (978) 282-1349

                Great outdoors

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                Visit your group "bolger" on the web.

              • Bob larkin
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 15, 2005
                  John, the beams that I made up were 2 inches wide and had cheapy 1/8
                  inch Luan doorskin on each side of the 1-inch pink foam, all as a
                  sandwich. I posted (temporarily) a picture of one of these at
                  http://www.proaxis.com/~boblark/bw2_foam_beam1.jpg The Luan material
                  was interesting, as it has almost no bending resistance on its own!
                  I was really trying to evaluate different gluing systems and their
                  water resistance, but it also showed the strength of the struture. I
                  call it a "beam," since the foam has the same ability to increase
                  strength as the web of an I-beam. In both cases the bending strength
                  goes up as the square of the thickness, as long as the structrure
                  fails by tension in the outside surface, which the Luan will. A good
                  piece of 1/4-inch plywood might well result in the foam crushing,
                  which is the other failure mode. In any event, the 2-inch wide beam,
                  10 inches long would support a weight of 15 lb or so.

                  Other than playing with glues, the conclusion was that a sandwich of
                  1/4 inch ply, 1-inch foam, and 1/8 inch ply is a major structural
                  improvement over the 1/4 plywood. I guess people that build balsa
                  (and other) cored decks figured this out a long time ago.

                  Bob

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, john h wright <jhargrovewright2@j...>
                  wrote:

                  > I have not bought Dow blue foam in a few years but at that time it
                  could
                  > be bought in many thicknesses and in different densities
                  (weights). My
                  > observation is that it is much more rigid (harder) and I think a
                  better
                  > material that the OC pink for most of our purposes. Does anyone
                  out
                  > there have better info than this. I am interested. Could you
                  describe
                  > the test "beam" construction that you tested.
                  >
                  > On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 18:07:51 -0000 "Bob larkin" <boblark@p...>
                  > writes:
                  > Peter, thanks for the comments.
                  >
                  > Good question about the foam. In the local stores, I only see the
                  > Owens-Corning Formular 150. I bought a sheet and made up some test
                  > beams, 2-inches wide. These were impressively strong, and I further
                  > tested it by walking (wearing sneakers) on the sheet laying on the
                  > floor. It left no permanent indication, other than from my dirty
                  > shoes. This is all not very scientific, but it looked better than
                  > thought the stuff would be! I have never seen the Dow Styrafoam
                  blue
                  > type, and would like to learn more. Can you add to this, as I still
                  > can switch? There must be someone selling Dow in Oregon.
                  >
                  > Bob

                • Leon Steyns
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 16, 2005
                    Hello Bob,

                    Thank you very much for posting the update! I came across your site
                    while searching for "Birdwatcher", after I read the WoodenBoat article.
                    Your work looks very good and it's really inspiring! It sure helps
                    while I'm contemplating this design. Good luck on your boatbuilding.
                    I'm looking forward to the next steps...

                    Greets, Leon Steyns.