Seas of Peas ... forever (?)

  • James Greene
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 3, 2005
      >> Bolger's visionary theory needs refinement
      >
      >I am not sure PCB would agree.

      Blah blah blah ...

      I don't see why this SOP issue constantly comes up here all the time, and
      on other boating lists as well. Phil Bolger is not dead, you know? So
      why don't one of you just fax him and ask him about it? What could
      possibly be simpler?

      Or are you all afraid that your individual theories about his theory will
      be wrong???

      :)

      James Greene
    • graeme19121984
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 5, 2005
        > WHY don't one of you just fax him and ask him about it? What could
        > possibly be simpler?

        Well, you could, ;-) but I'm inclined to think if I had stumbled
        into Bolger ( a consequence of stumbling onto the quarterly 'AABB',
        wherein I first heard of Bolger, a consequence in turn of collecting
        at the newstand the monthly 'Australian Sailing' [which may never
        mention Bolger], a consequece of engaging my kids in boating and
        club sailing....) say, thirty years ago instead of five, then I may
        have. As it is, I think he would have plenty of urgent work in
        progress, it is not trivial, it is already in the body of his
        writings and design work, and I would expect it to be further dealt
        with in the eventual "square - the works" book. And even if it is
        spelt out by him, discussion would not cease, but be enriched.

        And:

        19( ) - ( ) me, and

        1927 - ( ) PCB, and

        1908 - 1978 C Raymond Hunt, about whom according to C Raymond Hunt
        Associates biography and history webpages

        http://www.huntdesigns.com/about_ray_hunt.htm

        "...Ray "clearly had an uncanny ability to rethink the very concept
        of what a boat should be and how it should be able to perform.
        During flashes of inspiration, everything was reduced in his mind's
        eye to a boat's elemental components. Hunt was then able to put to
        paper the form of the boat envisioned.... His apparent, uncanny
        knowledge of how to move a boat through the water forms a skill no
        tank test or formula can replicate.... Ray Hunt, whose work was
        marked by great variety and success, was one of the most innovative
        designers of his time." ,and

        Of whom Bolger writes, " Hunt started with a plywood box. Out of
        HIS INSIGHT INTO THE BEHAVIOUR OF MOLECULES he rockered the
        bottom and pointed the ends.... The profile sweep of the bottom was
        dictated by hydrodynamics, which he grasped as few people
        have...."(BWAOM pp 156-157).

        . Yet he apparently did not get this PERSONALly in the MAIL from
        Hunt for: "Anything Hunt did was worth pondering. Incidently, HIS
        WORK supports my opinion that sharpies are best without flaring
        sides." (BWAOM p153), and

        18(??) - 19(??) Commodore Ralph Munroe. Pre- Hunt's professional,
        and PCB's times. Who "... did in Presto, in 1885... (BWAOM p 258)
        the form... evolved out of the working sharpie (having) more
        virtuosity and less viciousness. (FS p69)", yet Bolger
        follows "Hunt's INSIGHT in sharpie design rather than Ralph
        Munroe's ..." (BWAOM p119).

        Reasonably, PCB clearly has had the 'do-not-disturb-sign' out for a
        long time, and lamentably, I could fax neither Munroe, nor Hunt.

        Graeme