Re: [bolger] Re: Seas of Peas (SOP) - Bolger Claim Found - Bolger Flow Theory (BFT)

    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 3, 2005
      > Bolger's visionary theory needs refinement

      I am not sure PCB would agree. After all, the Bolger box boat,
      (the ones with equal curvature sides and bottoms) are cruisers,
      not racers. They are no-compromise practical boats made
      from low tech but efficient modern materials.

      What matters most is real world function, (needing only real
      world accuracy). Calculation to a fraction of a decimal point,
      for boats like this, *has* no point.

      PCB designs his boats; not from equations and computers,
      but from the experience and artistry of his fertile mind.

      Splitting of hairs could not improve on that.

      [Consider the difference between art and science.]
    • James Greene
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 3, 2005
        >> Bolger's visionary theory needs refinement
        >
        >I am not sure PCB would agree.

        Blah blah blah ...

        I don't see why this SOP issue constantly comes up here all the time, and
        on other boating lists as well. Phil Bolger is not dead, you know? So
        why don't one of you just fax him and ask him about it? What could
        possibly be simpler?

        Or are you all afraid that your individual theories about his theory will
        be wrong???

        :)

        James Greene
      • graeme19121984
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 5, 2005
          > WHY don't one of you just fax him and ask him about it? What could
          > possibly be simpler?

          Well, you could, ;-) but I'm inclined to think if I had stumbled
          into Bolger ( a consequence of stumbling onto the quarterly 'AABB',
          wherein I first heard of Bolger, a consequence in turn of collecting
          at the newstand the monthly 'Australian Sailing' [which may never
          mention Bolger], a consequece of engaging my kids in boating and
          club sailing....) say, thirty years ago instead of five, then I may
          have. As it is, I think he would have plenty of urgent work in
          progress, it is not trivial, it is already in the body of his
          writings and design work, and I would expect it to be further dealt
          with in the eventual "square - the works" book. And even if it is
          spelt out by him, discussion would not cease, but be enriched.

          And:

          19( ) - ( ) me, and

          1927 - ( ) PCB, and

          1908 - 1978 C Raymond Hunt, about whom according to C Raymond Hunt
          Associates biography and history webpages

          http://www.huntdesigns.com/about_ray_hunt.htm

          "...Ray "clearly had an uncanny ability to rethink the very concept
          of what a boat should be and how it should be able to perform.
          During flashes of inspiration, everything was reduced in his mind's
          eye to a boat's elemental components. Hunt was then able to put to
          paper the form of the boat envisioned.... His apparent, uncanny
          knowledge of how to move a boat through the water forms a skill no
          tank test or formula can replicate.... Ray Hunt, whose work was
          marked by great variety and success, was one of the most innovative
          designers of his time." ,and

          Of whom Bolger writes, " Hunt started with a plywood box. Out of
          HIS INSIGHT INTO THE BEHAVIOUR OF MOLECULES he rockered the
          bottom and pointed the ends.... The profile sweep of the bottom was
          dictated by hydrodynamics, which he grasped as few people
          have...."(BWAOM pp 156-157).

          . Yet he apparently did not get this PERSONALly in the MAIL from
          Hunt for: "Anything Hunt did was worth pondering. Incidently, HIS
          WORK supports my opinion that sharpies are best without flaring
          sides." (BWAOM p153), and

          18(??) - 19(??) Commodore Ralph Munroe. Pre- Hunt's professional,
          and PCB's times. Who "... did in Presto, in 1885... (BWAOM p 258)
          the form... evolved out of the working sharpie (having) more
          virtuosity and less viciousness. (FS p69)", yet Bolger
          follows "Hunt's INSIGHT in sharpie design rather than Ralph
          Munroe's ..." (BWAOM p119).

          Reasonably, PCB clearly has had the 'do-not-disturb-sign' out for a
          long time, and lamentably, I could fax neither Munroe, nor Hunt.

          Graeme