Ethan Allen in Lake George

  • Chris Crandall
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2005
      We might wish to discuss the capsize and sinking of the Ethan Allen,
      a glass-enclosed tour boat on Lake George, NY.

      It apparently was capsized by a wake of a larger tour boat, while
      leaf peeping. At least 21 people died as a result--many were very
      elderly people who could take little action to save themselves, but
      the immediate capsize raises one important Bolger issue:

      Isn't a glass-enclosed boat supposed to have extra bouyancy for
      safety? We need to know more, of course, but you can seek out some
      of it online. THere are pictures of the boat in the New York Times
      (free, but you must register), the Times Union of Albany has a
      picture during happier times on the its front page, etc.

      More info: Wind conditions--slight breeze, water was calm. Boat was
      in a smaller, protected bay.
    • Roger B. Frick
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 5, 2005
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Crandall" <crandall@k...> wrote:
        > We might wish to discuss the capsize and sinking of the Ethan Allen,
        > a glass-enclosed tour boat on Lake George, NY.
        >
        > It apparently was capsized by a wake of a larger tour boat, while
        > leaf peeping. At least 21 people died as a result--many were very
        > elderly people who could take little action to save themselves, but
        > the immediate capsize raises one important Bolger issue:
        >
        > Isn't a glass-enclosed boat supposed to have extra bouyancy for
        > safety? We need to know more, of course, but you can seek out some
        > of it online. THere are pictures of the boat in the New York Times
        > (free, but you must register), the Times Union of Albany has a
        > picture during happier times on the its front page, etc.
        >
        > More info: Wind conditions--slight breeze, water was calm. Boat was
        > in a smaller, protected bay.

        Good idea - we all need to know what went wrong and apply the facts
        learned to our boats.
      • u23b_2311
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005
          Here are some local websites.

          This has dominated our news -

          http://www.wnyt.com/

          www.timesunion.com

          www.npr.org search on "ethan allen"

          Latest news this AM was that stability tests conducted on a sister
          boat were not good. Large plastic drums filled with water were used
          and the tests were stopped early because the boat was starting to tip
          dangerously.

          A mention was made of having the boat analyzed by naval architects.

          Also NTSB is looking for any video or still pictures of the boat and
          they are still trying to find all the PFDs. Apparently a few of the
          PFDs are missing.

          eric

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Crandall" <crandall@k...> wrote:
          > We might wish to discuss the capsize and sinking of the Ethan Allen,
          > a glass-enclosed tour boat on Lake George, NY.
          >
          > It apparently was capsized by a wake of a larger tour boat, while
          > leaf peeping. At least 21 people died as a result--many were very
          > elderly people who could take little action to save themselves, but
          > the immediate capsize raises one important Bolger issue:
          >
          > Isn't a glass-enclosed boat supposed to have extra bouyancy for
          > safety? We need to know more, of course, but you can seek out some
          > of it online. THere are pictures of the boat in the New York Times
          > (free, but you must register), the Times Union of Albany has a
          > picture during happier times on the its front page, etc.
          >
          > More info: Wind conditions--slight breeze, water was calm. Boat
          was
          > in a smaller, protected bay.
        • u23b_2311
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005
            Here are some local websites.

            This has dominated our news -

            http://www.wnyt.com/

            www.timesunion.com

            www.npr.org search on "ethan allen"

            Latest news this AM was that stability tests conducted on a sister
            boat were not good. Large plastic drums filled with water were used
            and the tests were stopped early because the boat was starting to tip
            dangerously.

            A mention was made of having the boat analyzed by naval architects.

            Also NTSB is looking for any video or still pictures of the boat and
            they are still trying to find all the PFDs. Apparently a few of the
            PFDs are missing.

            eric

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Crandall" <crandall@k...> wrote:
            > We might wish to discuss the capsize and sinking of the Ethan Allen,
            > a glass-enclosed tour boat on Lake George, NY.
            >
            > It apparently was capsized by a wake of a larger tour boat, while
            > leaf peeping. At least 21 people died as a result--many were very
            > elderly people who could take little action to save themselves, but
            > the immediate capsize raises one important Bolger issue:
            >
            > Isn't a glass-enclosed boat supposed to have extra bouyancy for
            > safety? We need to know more, of course, but you can seek out some
            > of it online. THere are pictures of the boat in the New York Times
            > (free, but you must register), the Times Union of Albany has a
            > picture during happier times on the its front page, etc.
            >
            > More info: Wind conditions--slight breeze, water was calm. Boat
            was
            > in a smaller, protected bay.
          • john h wright
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005
              Without knowing anything except what is on TV, the most likely scenario
              is: The a boat wake splashed a good amount of water on one side of the
              boat and the passengers on that side moved to the other side. Twenty
              people at an average of 150 lb., including gear, would be 3,000 lbs. at
              one rail assuming that the people that did not go to that side would
              immediately slide or fall towards it! Looking at a picture of the boat
              would indicate that it is a lot more tender than a hard chine barge type
              of hull.

              On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 13:22:54 -0000 "u23b_2311" <u23b_2311@...>
              writes:
              Here are some local websites.

              This has dominated our news -

              http://www.wnyt.com/

              www.timesunion.com

              www.npr.org search on "ethan allen"

              Latest news this AM was that stability tests conducted on a sister
              boat were not good. Large plastic drums filled with water were used
              and the tests were stopped early because the boat was starting to tip
              dangerously.

              A mention was made of having the boat analyzed by naval architects.

              Also NTSB is looking for any video or still pictures of the boat and
              they are still trying to find all the PFDs. Apparently a few of the
              PFDs are missing.

              eric

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Crandall" <crandall@k...> wrote:
              > We might wish to discuss the capsize and sinking of the Ethan Allen,
              > a glass-enclosed tour boat on Lake George, NY.
              >
              > It apparently was capsized by a wake of a larger tour boat, while
              > leaf peeping. At least 21 people died as a result--many were very
              > elderly people who could take little action to save themselves, but
              > the immediate capsize raises one important Bolger issue:
              >
              > Isn't a glass-enclosed boat supposed to have extra bouyancy for
              > safety? We need to know more, of course, but you can seek out some
              > of it online. THere are pictures of the boat in the New York Times
              > (free, but you must register), the Times Union of Albany has a
              > picture during happier times on the its front page, etc.
              >
              > More info: Wind conditions--slight breeze, water was calm. Boat
              was
              > in a smaller, protected bay.

              Bolger rules!!!
              - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead
              horses
              (978) 282-1349

              Outdoors

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              Visit your group "bolger" on the web.

            • willers32
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005
                From the pictures I've seen it looked like the "glass enclosed"
                feature of the boat was disabled. It looked to me like the glass side
                panels were folded up against the inside of the roof, leaving the
                sides wide open. The gunwales, without the glass panels, didn't look
                high enough for a boat carrying 50 people. It doesn't take much
                imagination to see that if the passengers shifted to one side the boat
                would have listed enough to dunk one of the gunwales.

                Obviously, this was not a Bolger design. A Bolger design would have
                had enough reserve stability to handle the conditions, including
                misplaced passengers.