Re: Sternwheeler

  • Howard Stephenson
    Message 1 of 111 , Oct 1, 2005
      My idea was not to have two hull, but just one, with the wheel mounted
      on a framework that pivoted to allow steering. Further details in my
      earlier posts.

      To me this seems mechanically simpler and more efficient than a
      generator and two motors. The best way to find if my idea would work
      would be to build it -- and I have no intention of going there.

      Howard

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jon & Wanda(Tink)" <windyjon@m...>
      wrote:
      > If you want to make a sternwheeler easyer to turn the easyest and
      most
      > practical way is to use a split wheel(two narrow ones side by side)
      > with independent electric or hydro drive so one can go forward while
      > the other is stoped or reversed. Another way to do it is with a bow
      > thruster. Eather is easyer then two hulls piveting.
      >
      > Jon
    • graeme19121984
      Message 111 of 111 , Oct 5, 2005
        Here's 'Red Racer' a PDRacer #38, tow-planing?

        http://tinyurl.com/c8mt7

        Or howsabout Skimmer? With 4 aboard you wouldn't want more'n 2HP,
        and her performance under 7ft oars would never be sparkling, but
        empty at 8 knots she'd have to plane, wouldn't she? What total
        displacement is she rated for? Have a look at the rest of photo
        folder #23 here

        http://tinyurl.com/9975g

        Graeme