Original Featherwind vs Dave Carnell's Modification

  • Rob Mouradian
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 22, 2005
      I am wondering if anyone knows much about the original Featherwind
      design. I know that several people have built the $200 sailboat, or
      Nutmeg, that Dave Carnell based on the Featherwind hull, but I have not
      been able to find much opinion on the original design.

      Although the Sunfish rig is simple and apparently works well, I am
      somehow more interested in the Bolger's design that featured a sloop
      rig. I have seen some vague comments about the original rig not
      performing well, but I find it hard to believe that the lateen would
      actually perform better than what looks like a Marconi rig with a club-
      head jib.

      If anyone has first (or second) hand experience with the Bolger design
      I would be interested in hearing your opinions.

      Thanks,

      Rob