His and Her Schooner photos uploaded to Bolger3

  • Susan Davis
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 8, 2005
      I uploaded a few photos from last weekend to Bolger3. All of them
      were taken on board; apparently, there are extant photos taken of the
      boat from other vessels, but I haven't received copies yet.

      --
      Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 9, 2005
        > I uploaded a few photos from last weekend to Bolger3.

        http://tinyurl.com/86qq4

        Cool looking boat, much bigger than it seems on paper.

        I am curious, with the high cockpit combings, whether you
        can imagine that the boat would be tender to the point that
        water washes up on the deck? Or, can you imagine getting
        knocked down?
      • Susan Davis
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 9, 2005

          > I am curious, with the high cockpit combings, whether you
          > can imagine that the boat would be tender to the point that
          > water washes up on the deck? Or, can you imagine getting
          > knocked down?

          Coming back in through the Inner Harbour on Saturday, I ran into wind
          that abruptly built to close to 30 knots due to the narrow channel,
          with full sail still set. Several times, it felt like I was starting
          to get knocked down, and I heeled past the point that would have been
          unrecoverable on an unballasted racing dinghy, but it all happened so
          slowly that I had plenty of time to put the helm down and pinch high
          enough to come back to an even keel. I buried the leeward rail, but
          didn't ship any water.

          (Going forward to take my jib in in the middle of a crowded harbour
          was a bit of an adventure.)

          Wednesday evening, I had a passenger out for a spin around Humber Bay,
          and there was an incredible amount of very confused chop. We took one
          wave over the bow that let a gallon or two of water into the forward
          cockpit (and put obtaining a cover for up forward much higher on my
          priority list), but stayed dry otherwise, except for a drop or two of
          spray now and again. The winds were a high force 4 to a low force 5.

          All in all, she's a very dry boat. If I get a chance to finish
          installing the bolting system for the daggerboard this weekend, I
          might try a knockdown drill to see how she handles it.

          --
          Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
        • pvanderwaart
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 9, 2005
            > close to 30 knots
            > with full sail still set.

            And how fast will this boat scoot downwind with full sail in 30 kts of
            wind?

            In your (very special and well-deserved) place (as a schooner
            captain), I would be working on some way to rig the jib so it could be
            struck from the main hatch.

            She looks splendid!

            Peter
          • Susan Davis
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 9, 2005
              > And how fast will this boat scoot downwind with full sail in 30 kts of
              > wind?

              I'd be hesitant to try it until I get a chance to rig boom vangs on
              both booms. As it is, she gets pretty squirrely on runs and deep
              reaches in heavy air.

              > She looks splendid!

              Well, she looks better now that I've had a chance to scrub the filth
              off her decks that appears in the pictures. I'm hoping to get a
              chance to cover up those epoxy stains with another coat of Interdeck
              tonight before she has her big public debut tomorrow....

              --
              Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
            • Harry James
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 10, 2005
                Sue

                Do you have a breakdown on costs for your Schooner.

                HJ
              • David Ryan
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 12, 2005
                  On Sep 9, 2005, at 3:25 PM, Susan Davis wrote:

                  > > And how fast will this boat scoot downwind with full sail in 30 kts
                  > of
                  > > wind?
                  >
                  > I'd be hesitant to try it until I get a chance to rig boom vangs on
                  > both booms.  As it is, she gets pretty squirrely on runs and deep
                  > reaches in heavy air.

                  Happiness is your schooner planing while running wing and wing!

                • pvanderwaart
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 12, 2005
                    > As it is, she gets pretty squirrely on runs and deep
                    > reaches in heavy air.

                    I love that word 'squirrely.' It makes excitement and fear sound so
                    cosy and quaint.
                  • Roger Derby
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 12, 2005
                      That's not fear. That's a state of being "incredibly alert."

                      Roger
                      derbyrm@...
                      http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm

                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 28, 2005
                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Davis" <futabachan@y...> wrote:
                        [snip]

                        I was that passenger (hi Sue). I sat in the fwd cockpit in a state of
                        total rapture for an hour or two. What a blast! (I kept looking up at
                        the sails, thinking 'holy crap, it's a schooner, I must be dreaming!').

                        Anyhow like Sue says, a nice chop due to the southerly wind that piles
                        the waves up against the land in Humber Bay. There was occasional
                        light spray, and just one wave that was a bit more than that. Since
                        you sit low down on the bottom you are very well protected, far more
                        so than you are high up in the cockpit of a bigger boat. Also there is
                        more to hang on to than there generally is in a conventional cockpit
                        so you don't get thrown around much.

                        The weighted keel/daggerboard gives you a far more solid feeling than
                        you get in a dinghy. In spite of the chop and the breeze the boat (and
                        Sue) handled everything very nicely, especially to weather.

                        In general the SHS is a very cool boat (as so many Bolger designs
                        are). I went and got the plans from HH Payson, and once I pick the
                        hops that have taken over my back yard, it'll be time to go find some
                        plywood.

                        Thanks for a great sail, Sue!

                        Mike

                        > Wednesday evening, I had a passenger out for a spin around Humber Bay,
                        > and there was an incredible amount of very confused chop. We took one
                        > wave over the bow that let a gallon or two of water into the forward
                        > cockpit (and put obtaining a cover for up forward much higher on my
                        > priority list), but stayed dry otherwise, except for a drop or two of
                        > spray now and again. The winds were a high force 4 to a low force 5.
                        >
                        > All in all, she's a very dry boat. If I get a chance to finish
                        > installing the bolting system for the daggerboard this weekend, I
                        > might try a knockdown drill to see how she handles it.
                        >
                        > --
                        > Susan Davis <futabachan@y...>
                      • Susan Davis
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 28, 2005
                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "efemiket" <efemike@r...> wrote:

                          > In general the SHS is a very cool boat (as so many Bolger designs
                          > are). I went and got the plans from HH Payson, and once I pick the
                          > hops that have taken over my back yard, it'll be time to go find
                          > some plywood.

                          Wow, this is exciting: two boats at the same club to chase each other
                          around? Heck, we could even match race, or start a one-design fleet....

                          Hops? Do you home brew? (Or have we had this conversation already?)

                          --
                          Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
                        • Derek Waters
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 28, 2005
                            Hi Susan

                            What's your 'becalmed' plan? With the boat '3D' can you see a likely place
                            to put a gel-cell to run a wee trolling motor?

                            And Mike; 'hops' doesn't cut it - we need to know what varieties :)

                            Derek [who absolutely does not need a schooner, but...]
                          • Susan Davis
                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 29, 2005
                              > What's your 'becalmed' plan? With the boat '3D' can you see a likely
                              > place to put a gel-cell to run a wee trolling motor?

                              Yes, gel cells would fit nicely in the back of the locker between
                              bulkheads D and E, alongside the rudder trunk. There's a wedge-shaped
                              space back there that's good for long skinny objects, but otherwise
                              isn't used much. And it would be easy to add a board to the aft edge
                              of the aft cockpit coaming that extended out over the rail as a motor
                              mount.

                              I'm probably going to stick with oars as auxiliary power, though -- I
                              don't need to pay for boat registration if I don't have an engine.
                              Stowing the trolling motor might also be an issue, but you could
                              probably put it in the main hold, or up under the foredeck.

                              Also, the boat has excellent ghosting capability. I've only ever lost
                              steerage way once, and at that point, there was no hint of wind
                              whatever. Faint puffs of a knot or two are enough to keep the boat
                              moving.

                              --
                              Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
                            • efemiket
                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 29, 2005
                                Actually in Ontario you don't need to register the boat as long as the
                                motor is less than 10 horsepower. I think you do supposedly need a
                                'hull identification number' though. See
                                http://www.tc.gc.ca/BoatingSafety/sbg-gsn/markings.htm

                                Regardless, I agree oars are the way to go.

                                Mike

                                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Davis" <futabachan@y...> wrote:

                                > I'm probably going to stick with oars as auxiliary power, though -- I
                                > don't need to pay for boat registration if I don't have an engine.
                                > Stowing the trolling motor might also be an issue, but you could
                                > probably put it in the main hold, or up under the foredeck.
                                >
                                > --
                                > Susan Davis <futabachan@y...>
                              • efemiket
                                Message 15 of 20 , Sep 29, 2005
                                  It's probably been a while since there were schooner races on Lake
                                  Ontario.

                                  Regarding homebrewing - guilty as charged. An essential companion to
                                  home-boat-building I guess.

                                  Mike

                                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Davis" <futabachan@y...> wrote:
                                  > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "efemiket" <efemike@r...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > In general the SHS is a very cool boat (as so many Bolger designs
                                  > > are). I went and got the plans from HH Payson, and once I pick the
                                  > > hops that have taken over my back yard, it'll be time to go find
                                  > > some plywood.
                                  >
                                  > Wow, this is exciting: two boats at the same club to chase each other
                                  > around? Heck, we could even match race, or start a one-design fleet....
                                  >
                                  > Hops? Do you home brew? (Or have we had this conversation already?)
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > Susan Davis <futabachan@y...>
                                • efemiket
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Sep 29, 2005
                                    (Bravely running the risk of being kicked off Bolger for being off
                                    topic) - Nugget hops. High alpha acid, good for bittering.

                                    Nobody actually needs a schooner. On the other hand everyone should
                                    have one. Gives the phrase "personal watercraft" a whole new perspective.

                                    Mike

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Sep 29, 2005
                                      > Wow, this is exciting: two boats at the same club to chase each other
                                      > around? Heck, we could even match race, or start a one-design fleet....

                                      Isn't the Single Handed Schooner also know as the His and Her Schooner,
                                      and in Bolger's essay he imagined sailing them in ballet-like synchroniztion
                                      as a pleasant but challenging alternative to racing.
                                    • Susan Davis
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Sep 29, 2005
                                        > > Wow, this is exciting: two boats at the same club to chase each
                                        > > other around? Heck, we could even match race, or start a one-
                                        > > design fleet....
                                        >
                                        > Isn't the Single Handed Schooner also know as the His and Her
                                        > Schooner, and in Bolger's essay he imagined sailing them in
                                        > ballet-like synchroniztion as a pleasant but challenging alternative
                                        > to racing.

                                        That was for a married couple, to "preserve domestic harmony" by
                                        avoiding the squabble that might ensue in the wake of the wife pulling
                                        a horizon job on the husband. I'd rather have the racing fleet.

                                        Note that PCB also waxes enthusiastic on the subject of schooner
                                        racing in several other spots....

                                        -- Sue --
                                        (who built "Hers" as a trainer for another class of racing schooner)

                                        --
                                        Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
                                      • Kim Lewis
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Oct 2, 2005
                                          Hi all

                                          I have been a member of the group for a while and have thoroughly enjoyed the banter and have learned more than a thing or two about boats. Bolger boats in particular. I thank you all.

                                          Re: Bolger H&H schooners

                                          Bruce wrote:
                                          > Wow, this is exciting: two boats at the same club to chase each other
                                          > around? Heck, we could even match race, or start a one-design fleet....

                                          Isn't the Single Handed Schooner also know as the His and Her Schooner?

                                          In BWAOM the person that requested the His and Hers design from PB mentions that he had built PB's 23ft "scooner" and liked it a lot.

                                          Does anyone know of the 23Ft scooner?

                                          Kim
                                          Brisbane, Australia
                                          > Wow, this is exciting: two boats at the same club to chase each other
                                          > around? Heck, we could even match race, or start a one-design fleet....

                                          Isn't the Single Handed Schooner also know as the His and Her Schooner,
                                          and in Bolger's essay he imagined sailing them in ballet-like synchroniztion
                                          as a pleasant but challenging alternative to racing.

                                          Bolger rules!!!

                                          Outdoors

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Oct 2, 2005
                                            > Does anyone know of the 23Ft scooner?