Re: Dakota photos added (Bolger4photos) group

  • soussouchew
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 5, 2005
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Ron Badley <badley@s...>
      wrote:
      > I can't seem to find the pictures. Bolger4 photos and files
      don't seem
      > to have the file. Help!
      >
      > RonB.

      Ron,

      Be sure you are in the right group.
      You must join to see photos.
      Try this link to the <PHOTOS>

      "Dakota" is the 5th album.

      Vince
    • Mark Balogh
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 5, 2005
        No, it doesn't show up there for me either. On my screen, Bolger4 photos
        page has 17 files and the 5th one (1rst on second row of 4) is named Tween.
        What is the name of the folder. I have reloaded the page just to make sure
        it wasn't a cache version but no Dakota shows up on that page for me.
        Mark

        From: "soussouchew" <soussouchew@...>
        Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 18:58:27 -0000
        To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [bolger] Re: Dakota photos added (Bolger4photos) group

        wrote:
        > I can't seem to find the pictures. Bolger4 photos and files
        don't seem
        > to have the file. Help!
        >
        > RonB.

        Ron,

        Be sure you are in the right group.
        You must join to see photos.
        Try this link to the <PHOTOS>

        "Dakota" is the 5th album.

        Vince

        Bolger rules!!!
        (978) 282-1349

        Boating safety
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Boating+safety&w1=Boating+safety&w2=Boa
        ting+supply&w3=Gsi+outdoors&w4=The+great+outdoors&c=4&s=82&.sig=LYEBP0T_yHKj
        mXxv85wWkw> Boating supply
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Boating+supply&w1=Boating+safety&w2=Boa
        ting+supply&w3=Gsi+outdoors&w4=The+great+outdoors&c=4&s=82&.sig=3nAKJ6cbaObu
        MAdZpmKK0Q> Gsi outdoors
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Boating+safety&w2=Boati
        ng+supply&w3=Gsi+outdoors&w4=The+great+outdoors&c=4&s=82&.sig=4MZF1G34X1QVox
        __s53Ruw> The great outdoors
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=The+great+outdoors&w1=Boating+safety&w2
        =Boating+supply&w3=Gsi+outdoors&w4=The+great+outdoors&c=4&s=82&.sig=RhTf1CGP
        1Kz1pRO_67Q56Q>

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        web.

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • pvanderwaart
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 5, 2005
          The group name is Bolger4photos, not Bolger4, reasonable though it
          might be to look there.

        • Ron Badley
          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 5, 2005
            Hi Vince,

            These are the album shown in "my" Bolger 4. What am I doing wrong?

            Photo Albums

            Centennial
            Commuter 36 a Bolgeresque cruiser
            Oldshoe Photos
            Sneakeasy - Inboard
            Tween

            RonB.

            On 5-Sep-05, at 11:58 AM, soussouchew wrote:

            > Ron,
            >
            > Be sure you are in the right group.
            > You must join to see photos.
            > Try this link to the <PHOTOS>

            > "Dakota" is the 5th album.
            >
            > Vince
          • Ron Badley
            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 5, 2005
              Thanks!

              Man, Bolger has a lot of groups.

              Very nice boat!!

              RonB.

              On 5-Sep-05, at 1:12 PM, pvanderwaart wrote:

              > The group name is Bolger4photos, not Bolger4, reasonable though it
              > might be to look there.
            • chodges31711
              Message 6 of 29 , Sep 6, 2005
                Maybe you need to build a trolley that rolls the length of the
                trailer. The stem would attach to a saddle bunk on the trolley and the
                winch would pull the trolley. If the stern is floating and the trolley
                is on wheels, there should be little resistance until the boat settles
                on the other bunks.

                With a flat bottom and no rocker, like Idaho, one could put the rear
                edge of the trailer in the water and use a winched trolley to both
                push the boat into the water and retreive it.

                > The only negative is that I am not able to launch and retrieve
                > Dakota from my trailer even though we have a very good launch
                > ramp. Because of the plumb bow, the bottom is low all the way
                > to the stem. When the stern floats, the bow rocks down. When
                > trying to retrieve, this puts the pull of the winch cable almost
                > verticle. At this angle, the winch won't pull the boat up to the
                > bumper. Relocationg the winch support forward would help, but
                > it is already just behind the coupler, and the rig is at the
                > maximum legal length so I can't extend the tongue.
                >
                > Fortunately, I have a mooring for this year. So, I had the boat put
                > in at a marina with a travel lift.
                >
                > Vince
              • soussouchew
                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 6, 2005
                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "chodges31711"
                  <chodges@a...> wrote:
                  > Maybe you need to build a trolley that rolls the length of the
                  > trailer. ........

                  Interesting idea. I'll mull it over.

                  BTW: Dakota does have rocker -- unlike Idaho or Wyoming.

                  Thanks,

                  Vince
                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 6, 2005
                    > is on wheels, there should be little resistance until the boat settles
                    > on the other bunks.

                    Micro has lots of rocker, and it is the stern half of
                    the hull that has 'support challenges'. I ended up
                    making some removable struts that support the
                    stern quarters. After the hull is on the trailer, and
                    snug up against the foward supports, I raise the
                    stern of the hull using a farm jack and install the
                    struts. [They fit into the aft well drain holes.]
                  • Howard Stephenson
                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 6, 2005
                      Maybe the trailer can be modified so that it becomes a tilting
                      trailer. They used to be very common, although I haven't noticed any
                      in recent years and never for a boat this size.

                      Their main purpose is to allow a boat to get on and off a trailer
                      without getting the wheel bearings wet. It would have the potential
                      for making it easier to get the forefoot onto the trailer, because it
                      tilts down.

                      Howard

                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "soussouchew" <soussouchew@y...> wrote:
                      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "chodges31711"
                      > <chodges@a...> wrote:
                      > > Maybe you need to build a trolley that rolls the length of the
                      > > trailer. ........
                    • John Bell
                      Message 10 of 29 , Sep 6, 2005
                        I think a trailer that tilts back is the opposite of what he wants to do.

                        My AF4 had a similar problem to Vince's: on a steep ramp the bow would be
                        too low and the stern too high. In order to launch and retreive my boat, I
                        had to back the trailer way deep in the water to prevent the bow from
                        grounding out as I loaded the boat. This made getting the boat lined up on
                        the trailer a hassle until I installed 2"PVC guides. But launch and
                        retrieval was never a dry foot operation with this boat.

                        One thing that helped was adding additional bunks foward almost to the
                        winch. Putting the winch (and bow eye) down low as possible helped, too.

                        > Maybe the trailer can be modified so that it becomes a tilting
                        > trailer. They used to be very common, although I haven't noticed any
                        > in recent years and never for a boat this size.
                        >
                        > Their main purpose is to allow a boat to get on and off a trailer
                        > without getting the wheel bearings wet. It would have the potential
                        > for making it easier to get the forefoot onto the trailer, because it
                        > tilts down.
                        >
                        > Howard
                        >
                        > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "soussouchew" <soussouchew@y...> wrote:
                        > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "chodges31711"
                        > > <chodges@a...> wrote:
                        > > > Maybe you need to build a trolley that rolls the length of the
                        > > > trailer. ........

                        (978) 282-1349
                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • soussouchew
                        Message 11 of 29 , Sep 6, 2005
                          The current home page photo for the group <Bolger4photos> is
                          my Dakota on the trailer it's original configuration. I could not get
                          the trailer deep enough to float the the boat off. Plus, with the
                          stern afloat, there was so much weight on the front bunk that it
                          was distorting the trailer. So I had my welder friend remove the
                          front bunk supports and reinforce the trailer frame from the axles
                          forward. I was then able to float the boat off by backing in so far
                          that my bumper was in the water and the exhaust was blowing
                          bubbles. NOT GOOD! Only the front wheels of the 4X4 had any
                          traction. The winch was useless at the cable angle. I pulled the
                          boat home gingerly with it about 3ft. short of the bumper on the
                          winch support mast, and the tongue weight WAY too light.

                          Back at the shop, I had to jack the boat up off the trailer with
                          bottle jacks and lots of blocking so I could roll the trailer back to
                          its proper location.

                          Regarding tilting, etc. Keep in mind that this boat is 38' long and
                          weighs 7500 lbs.
                        • chodges31711
                          Message 12 of 29 , Sep 6, 2005
                            I have seen a waterproof silicone type spray in a can for carpet
                            bunks. Claim is it reduces sliding fricion enough to make the boat as
                            easy to pull on bunks as on rollers.
                          • Howard Stephenson
                            Message 13 of 29 , Sep 6, 2005
                              Yes. From my limited experience, tilt-trailers tilt rather suddenly --
                              something that's not such a good idea at those dimensions.

                              Howard

                              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "soussouchew" <soussouchew@y...> wrote:
                              > Regarding tilting, etc. Keep in mind that this boat is 38' long and
                              > weighs 7500 lbs.
                            • Clyde Wisner
                              Message 14 of 29 , Sep 7, 2005
                                It sounds like a roller jack stand and a winch for the trailer hitch
                                is the answer. You can buy dual wheel jack stands and even put bigger
                                wheels on them. PCB talks about them in his discussion of Topaz in MAIB.
                                Another idea, my Triad trailer has a 6-7ft extnsion pipe with a hitch
                                welded to it. Park in front of the ramp and put down jack stand,
                                disconnect main hitch, pull forward, pull the pipe extension out and put
                                extension hitch on trailer ball. This launches my keel boat except I've
                                never done it. Luck, Clyde

                                Message 15 of 29 , Sep 7, 2005

                                  soussouchew wrote:

                                  > The current home page photo for the group <Bolger4photos> is
                                • Ron Butterfield
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Sep 7, 2005
                                    Something I saw some years ago (I don't remember where; SBJ, MAIB, a Bolger
                                    book maybe) was for a similar size boat (possibly Samuel Clyde; at least
                                    that size & style):

                                    Anyway, the trailer, instead of bunks, had several rows of wheelbarrow
                                    tires for rollers. To spread the weight, there would probably need to be
                                    several wheels per row. The center pair of wheels on each axle could be
                                    close enough to guide the bow all the way up.

                                    The rows could be spaced to land under frames, so the boat would be
                                    supported at the frames instead of just the planking. Each row could be
                                    adjusted vertically to match the rocker of the boat.

                                    An advantage of this is that the boat could be easily adjusted for position
                                    fore and aft on the trailer after getting out of the water and up on some
                                    flat ground.

                                    Not a cheap solution, but neither is a boat lift.

                                    Regards,
                                    RonB
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Sep 7, 2005
                                      > Anyway, the trailer, instead of bunks, had several rows of wheelbarrow
                                      > tires for rollers.
                                      > RonB

                                      See illustration here:

                                      http://hallman.org/boats/pot_belly_boat_trailer_problem.gif

                                      The problem (as I see it) is that Dakota (like Micro)
                                      has a pot belly. That belly doesn't clear the after-end
                                      support 'bunk' on the trailer. That after-end support
                                      needs to be removable, with or without rollers.
                                      The other option is to submerge the trailer by the
                                      depth of the pot belly, pretty deep in other words.

                                      I solved my problem by having the after-end support
                                      being removable.
                                    • soussouchew
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Sep 7, 2005
                                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Hallman <bruce@h...>
                                        wrote:

                                        > The problem (as I see it) is that Dakota (like Micro)
                                        > has a pot belly. That belly doesn't clear the after-end
                                        > support 'bunk' on the trailer. That after-end support
                                        > needs to be removable, with or without rollers.

                                        No, actually what happened was that when I had backed in as
                                        far as possible, the back of the trailer was well submerged and
                                        the aft end of the boat was floating a couple of feet above the aft
                                        bunks while the bow was still bearing so heavily on the forward
                                        bunks that it would not move and the trailer was being distorted.
                                        So I removed the forward bunks. This allowed the boat to float
                                        off, but then I was not able to winch it back up to the bumper on
                                        the winch support.

                                        It is the plumb bow that causes that problem. I see 40 foot
                                        Scarab and Formula boats launched and retrieved at our ramp,
                                        but their bow eye is low on the up-sloped bottom and thus is
                                        several feet aft of the bow at deck level. This allows the winch
                                        cable to start pulling at an angle about 15 degrees below
                                        horizontal and maintain this angle until the bow hits the bumper.
                                        With the plumb bow, the winch cable becomes more and more
                                        vertical as the boat is pulled onto the trailer until it has little or no
                                        horizontal force. Having the winch mounted several feet farther
                                        forward would solve the problem, but the trailer is at the highway
                                        limit now.

                                        I appreciate all suggestions. I'm sure there is a solution.
                                        Oversized tongue jack wheels and a tongue extension may be
                                        part of the answer. Mounting the winch on the tow vehicle may be
                                        another part.

                                        I was pleasantly surpised when I got the bill from the yard for
                                        launching my boat with the Travel-lift. It was $34. It only took them
                                        15 minutes. I thought there would be a 1 hr. minimum, but
                                        apparently not. Maybe they just liked the boat!

                                        Vince
                                      • Rick Bedard
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Sep 7, 2005
                                          I had a similar problem on a 22' sharpie a couple decades ago. I modified the trailer to that the forward end of the bunks rested right on the trailer frame, leaving the rear of the bunks high. When on level ground everyone thought the boat looked odd on the trailer, like it was falling forward, but it sure made launching and retrieving easy.

                                          When at the launch ramp a boat floats level, but the trailer conforms to the ramp slope, so you end up with your problem, the forward end of the bunks are too high.. "Tilting" the bunks by mounting them so they are bow down solves this geometry problem. Ideally the entire length of bunks should submerge to the same level (parallel to the water surface) at the same moment as you back into the water. The lenght of the trailer tongue, or tonge extension should allow you to "lower" the bunks so the water over the entire length of bunk is deeper the hull draft. Then you "park" the boat over the bunks, secure it to the trailer with the winch (no winching up the bunks necessary) and off you go!

                                          You may not want to trailer "bow down" so maybe you could devise a way to hinge and lower the front section of the bunks only while launching and then jack it back up and lock it in place once out for the water and on level ground...

                                          By the way, those "gofast" boats solve this launching problem by weighing down the aft end of their boats so that at rest they float bow high and stern down, way down. That way their boat bottom is actually parallel to the bunks. They do this by putting several giant engines in the rear. Really, they only have two or three V-8's or V-12's back there because they need the weight to keep the stern down and bow up for launching... If it wasn't for that they'd only have a little four cylinder for power :)

                                          Rick

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Sep 8, 2005
                                            Yep, you've got the picture, Rick. With all the "No Wake" areas, I
                                            see these big 900 hp beasts that run on pure testosterone
                                            puttering along at 3 knots most of the time.

                                            Our boating season here in northern MI ends soon, and I will be
                                            working on the solution to the trailer problem over the winter. I
                                            appreciate the suggestions.

                                            Vince
                                          • camalexander2002
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Sep 8, 2005
                                              My buddy just got a new trailer for his large power boat; it has a
                                              rocking cradle arrangement in the centre of the long trailer. When
                                              the trailer is empty, the aft end of the cradle is rocked down, so
                                              that the rear rollers are quite low. As you move the boat forward on
                                              the trailer, as it reaches aprox. the forward third of the trailer,
                                              the cradle rocks down at the front, the rear rollers come up to level,
                                              and support the aft end of the boat. Complex to engineer, but pure
                                              pleasure to use.
                                              Just a thought.