Re: [bolger] Re: Birdwatcher Junk Rig

  • John Bell
    Message 1 of 32 , Sep 5, 2005
      I beg to disagree! I think the mast (23.5') is too long. Even the revised
      solent lug still has a 20' stick. I wouldn't go with chinese lug, however.
      Instead, I'd go with a balanced lug of 150 square feet on about 17' mast.
      Back when I was thinking of building a BW, I even drew such a sail plan.
      It's still sitting here in my files waiting for me to come back to it. In my
      dotage, perhaps...

      Also, if you've seen the BW1 plans, have you ever seen a more difficult way
      of a building a hollow tapered mast than what Bolger has drawn?

      JB

      Message 32 of 32 , Sep 12, 2005
        Hi John,
        Sorry, I don't check my mailbox very often as I rarely get mail
        there. I have replied to your email. I think Jim Michalak has tried
        to make his plans so just about anyone who can pick up a saw can
        build them.
        Mike
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "mannthree" <johnmann@i...> wrote:
        > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Mulcahy" <kakwariver@y...>
        wrote:
        > > Mike,
        >
        > I tried to contact you by email but the message must not have been
        > delivered. Your Philsboat (modified) looks great and appears to
        sail
        > well. I read your tales re sailing in 18 knots on the Michalak
        group
        > and she handled it well. I have been interested in building another
        > boat for some time now and your effort pretty much fits my
        requirement
        > for length, simplicity of rig, self righting ability etc. At $32.50
        > for the plans (Philsboat) appears to be a bargain. A couple of
        questions:

        > 1: Are Jim Michalaks plans comprehensive enough for mug home
        builders
        > like me?
        >
        > 2: What were the modifications you made to the plans?
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > John Mann (Sydney Australia)
        >

        > I'm a little late on this thread but I've been busy. I built a
        > > modified
        > > Jim Michalak birdwatcher design (Phils boat) with a junk rig.
        > > Pictures
        > > at http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kakwariver/album?.dir=/a6a6
        Both
        > > the boat and rig are pure joy!
        > > One advantage that I don't think anyone mentioned is that if you
        are
        > > sailing with the center slot covered in bad weather you can
        raise,
        > > lower, and reef the sail from inside the boat with a junk rig.
        Works