Wolf Trap #366 Photos

  • graeme19121984
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4 11:47 PM
      Doug Pollard has recently posted some photos of Wolf Trap over on
      smallsailboats2 group:
      That the photos are of the stern relates to a current thread at
      smallsailboats. Hopefully Doug may post more.

      IIRC Doug has written he commissioned the Wolf Trap design from Bolger
      (his name appears in the Different Boats scan at bolger3 files
      http://tinyurl.com/8l59f ).

      Although for plywood construction he built two in aluminium. He later
      changed the cat yawl rig to schooner. He cruised the Carribean etc.
      for some time until the boat got too large (?IIRC).

      Graeme
    • pvanderwaart
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 5 6:42 AM
        > Although for plywood construction he built two in aluminium.

        The writeup in Different Boats did not mention ply construction, and
        said that it was designed for Pollard to build in aluminium. Are you
        sure that there a construction plan for ply?

        Peter
      • BARBARA SPOERING
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 5 2:36 PM
          Sorry Peter - I don't have "Different Boats" But in PB's "Boats With An Open Mind" Although he doesn't mention any type of construction I see stringers in all the corners & in between. The same as shown on Jesse Cooper and AS-29 so i'm really assuming ply construction is available.
          Actually I'd prefer Jesse Cooper but size and cost have to stop somewhere. When I hear that the cost of Super Brick is the same as As-29 I have my doubts, Perhaps a first class interion with all it's associated equipment would seriously add to costs but a decent Do-It-Yourselfer should have no trouble keeping costs in line.
          Good hearing from you - how is Windermere coming and where do you post the latest pics. All I can ever find are the original 4.
          Aoha - Jack Spoering - Ft Lauderdale
          > Although for plywood construction he built two in aluminium.

          The writeup in Different Boats did not mention ply construction, and
          said that it was designed for Pollard to build in aluminium. Are you
          sure that there a construction plan for ply?

          Peter

          Bolger rules!!!

          The great outdoors

        • Howard Stephenson
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 5 3:37 PM
            After looking once again (and having looked countless times before)
            at four ((out of how many?) pages of plans reproduced in "Different
            Boats" and re-reading the write-up, I can confirm that it was
            designed from scratch for aluminum construction. Some of the welded
            construction details are clearly shown.

            Bolger explains that the conic projection of the bottom is done
            differently from the usual method, but similar to the way it was
            done in Crystal, a plywood boat. There is a table of offsets, but no
            drawings of panel shapes.

            I don't think there would be any trouble building in plywood,
            provided correct scantlings were chosen and the engineering problems
            worked out e.g. the design of the centreboard case. But it seems
            unlikely that the designer would be able to assist much beyond,
            possibly, advising on scantlings. There is a possibility, I guess,
            that the designer might have produced alternative plans for plywood;
            there's one sure way to find out -- ask him.

            Because the plywood would be thicker than the aluminum plate it
            replaces and would need to be backed by frames or stringers, there
            would be some loss of useable interior volume.

            Howard

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "pvanderwaart" <pvanderwaart@y...>
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 5 8:14 PM
              Peter, Howard, Jack, & All,

              as Doug has referred to his "Wolf Trap", in passing, in a number of
              posts in various groups now, my understanding may be somewhat
              muddled. It maybe that "Wolf Trap" was designed solely for aluminium
              construction. However, there was correspondence including sketch
              plans to and fro between Doug and Bolger and it may be that a plan
              for wood became the plan in "Different Boats" for aluminium, as due
              to his work related experience that is what Doug wanted.

              RE: WIKI SHARED KNOWLEDGE

              Doug has posted the following:

              "Graeme,
              I do have a few pictures of her sailing with her original rig. They
              are some what water damaged but viewable no less. I am wondering if
              it
              might be of interest to some if over a period of time I wrote a
              series
              of e-mails about how she came to be, her use and some of what we
              learned. My business partner has a whole album of pictures of her
              construction. I have some of the original letters and sketches
              between
              Phil Bolger and myself on the designing and building of Wolftrap.
              These
              would require his approval.
              I am somewhat busy repainting my motherinlaw's old home while
              building Mr. Redmonds (Elver) but through the come few months I
              should
              be able to accomplish this. I really would like there to be some
              public
              record of this adventure of mine, if there is any interest at all.

              Doug"

              I think there is no question but that there would be quite "some"
              interest over time in pictures (water damaged or not), an album of
              construction photos, original correspondence with the designer and
              sketches if approved, and a series of electronic articles
              concerning "Wolf Trap" and her builder/skipper.

              My query for the group is how and where would Doug's adventure be
              best placed on the public record? It may be good etiquette for it to
              be over at yahoo smallsailboats group although possibly a little off
              group topic there. It may be best on record at "Wikipedia", at some
              other website with links, or at this group. Perhaps Doug should be
              encouraged to write for regular type media such as MAIB, or other.

              I would very much appreciate his record (and any other Bolgerverse)
              entering into the public domain with easy access in a unified/linked
              way for my own and history's sake. So for those in this group who
              are better qualified in these public knowledge record/medium
              matters, what do you think?

              Graeme

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "BARBARA SPOERING" <b.spoering@w...>
              wrote:
              > Sorry Peter - I don't have "Different Boats" But in PB's "Boats
              With An Open Mind" Although he doesn't mention any type of
              construction I see stringers in all the corners & in between. The
              same as shown on Jesse Cooper and AS-29 so i'm really assuming ply
              construction is available.
              > Actually I'd prefer Jesse Cooper but size and cost have to stop
              somewhere. When I hear that the cost of Super Brick is the same as
              As-29 I have my doubts, Perhaps a first class interion with all
              it's associated equipment would seriously add to costs but a decent
              Do-It-Yourselfer should have no trouble keeping costs in line.
              > Good hearing from you - how is Windermere coming and where do
              you post the latest pics. All I can ever find are the original 4.
              > Aoha - Jack Spoering - Ft Lauderdale

              Fred' posts
              subscribe@yahoogroups.com