Re: Amherst Galley

  • GarthAB
    Message 1 of 62 , Sep 4 4:12 AM
      Didn't Martha Jane (pre-sponsons and ballast update) have only 250 sq.
      ft. of sail on a 6 foot or 6'6" beam, and that produced capsize
      problems? Now Amherst Galley is carrying 301 sq. ft. on a narrower
      beam. How does this compare with the Jochems schooner, for instance,
      or other boats in this size range? (Sorry -- I don't have any of the
      books or drawings at hand).

      In any case, she looks like a lot of fun.

      Garth

    • philbolger@comcast.net
      Message 62 of 62 , Aug 1, 2012
        Sorry about this delay, Kev.  A whole lot of good reasons for this...  Your inquiry ended up in the wrong hopper.

        Thanks for your interest.
        Yes both plans are available.  'Jochems' has been built a number of times.  'Amherst Galley' not yet, surprisingly, as she reflects a range of increasingly relevant issues between human-power, safety under sail, speed, light weight, etc.

        Plans to build one boat, sent rolled in a tube, are:
        - #639 "William D. Jochems" on 5 sheets of 22"x34" = $300.-
        - #643 "Amherst Galley" on 7 sheets of 22"x34" = $325.-

        I hope that this still helps in your choice.

        Susanne Altenburger, PB&F