Re: [bolger] Re: Amherst Galley

  • David Ryan
    Message 1 of 62 , Sep 1, 2005
      On Sep 1, 2005, at 12:02 PM, Bruce Hallman wrote:

      > With shop grade plywood, and an airpowered stapler,
      > [and no fiberglass sheathing]...

      Part of what I said to Phil and Suzanne was that I wanted something
      fast enough and cheap enough to build that I would feel I'd thrown my
      money away by using the cheapest materials and quickest methods
      available � little camper for next Summer on Gardner's Bay.

      However, since our trip to CBI, I've seen the potential for a well-made
      Amherst Galley to make our next trip up there truly spectacular. A
      cheaply build one would be fun too, just not as much.

      > Please refresh my memory of more precisely what
      > an Amherst Galley is?� Scans or photos, and/or written
      > description?

      The Galley is an oversized Birdwatcher with a schooner rig. Her name is
      derived from the school who commissioned the design (The Amherst Public
      School in Canada) and the eight row positions (to be manned by
      energetic adolescents) that provide her auxiliary power. (She's meant
      to accommodate six on overnight trips.) In many respects she's a
      smaller, plywood, centerboard version of the schooner rigged
      Berengaria.

      YIBB,

      David

    • philbolger@comcast.net
      Message 62 of 62 , Aug 1, 2012
        Sorry about this delay, Kev.  A whole lot of good reasons for this...  Your inquiry ended up in the wrong hopper.

        Thanks for your interest.
        Yes both plans are available.  'Jochems' has been built a number of times.  'Amherst Galley' not yet, surprisingly, as she reflects a range of increasingly relevant issues between human-power, safety under sail, speed, light weight, etc.

        Plans to build one boat, sent rolled in a tube, are:
        - #639 "William D. Jochems" on 5 sheets of 22"x34" = $300.-
        - #643 "Amherst Galley" on 7 sheets of 22"x34" = $325.-

        I hope that this still helps in your choice.

        Susanne Altenburger, PB&F