Re: [bolger] Re: Amherst Galley

    Message 1 of 62 , Sep 1, 2005
      >a boat that is ultimately a stop-gap. ... the Amherst Galley
      > YIBB,
      > David

      As many who know me realise, I am a big believer in
      quick gratification/'stop gap' boats and boating.

      With shop grade plywood, and an airpowered stapler,
      [and no fiberglass sheathing]...

      ...an Amherst Galley could be realised in a very short
      order & cost and it would function just fine for a summer or two
      [really more].

      Please refresh my memory of more precisely what
      an Amherst Galley is? Scans or photos, and/or written
      description?

      I recall it is a plywood boat with oversized sponsons,
      but I forget the exact size, and rig type.
    • philbolger@comcast.net
      Message 62 of 62 , Aug 1 6:20 AM
        Sorry about this delay, Kev.  A whole lot of good reasons for this...  Your inquiry ended up in the wrong hopper.

        Thanks for your interest.
        Yes both plans are available.  'Jochems' has been built a number of times.  'Amherst Galley' not yet, surprisingly, as she reflects a range of increasingly relevant issues between human-power, safety under sail, speed, light weight, etc.

        Plans to build one boat, sent rolled in a tube, are:
        - #639 "William D. Jochems" on 5 sheets of 22"x34" = $300.-
        - #643 "Amherst Galley" on 7 sheets of 22"x34" = $325.-

        I hope that this still helps in your choice.

        Susanne Altenburger, PB&F