Re: [bolger] Re: Bolger 'Wiki' shared knowledge

    Message 1 of 62 , Sep 1 8:36 AM
      On 9/1/05, graeme19121984 <graeme19121984@...> wrote:
      > I've just added a link for #426 Jinni. I couldn't figure how to make
      > it more direct, yet cover all the Jinni references there in the PDF
      > copies (Surf is there, others too). I think everyone readily sees
      > the only other Jinni link I know at Craig O'Donnell's famous Cheap
      > Pages (disregarding the many other references to Jim Michalak's boat
      > in his own webpages).
      >
      > Graeme

      Whew! Jinni is a tough 'test case' for a
      collaborative Bolger wiki design database.

      Indeed, there are at least two Bolger designs
      known as Jinni. The 1954 double ended sloop
      rigged version design number 6-54-14.

      [In the 1950's Bolger used a hyphenated numbering system.]

      ...and the 1980ish design number #426?
      Plywood Cat Yawl which is box ended like a June Bug.
      I think the internet references are to this latter design,
      there have been at least one for sale in the last years in the MAIB
      classified advertisements.

      Photo here:
      http://hallman.org/bolger/426/Jinni.jpg

      The 1954 design is shown in the MAIB article,
      and the 1980ish design is shown in the Common
      Sense Design catalogue. (and where else?) I am
      not sure where the numbering of #426 is documented.

      I just made entries in the database, colaborating with what you wrote
      Graeme, I hope that is OK?
    • philbolger@comcast.net
      Message 62 of 62 , Aug 1, 2012
        Sorry about this delay, Kev.  A whole lot of good reasons for this...  Your inquiry ended up in the wrong hopper.

        Thanks for your interest.
        Yes both plans are available.  'Jochems' has been built a number of times.  'Amherst Galley' not yet, surprisingly, as she reflects a range of increasingly relevant issues between human-power, safety under sail, speed, light weight, etc.

        Plans to build one boat, sent rolled in a tube, are:
        - #639 "William D. Jochems" on 5 sheets of 22"x34" = $300.-
        - #643 "Amherst Galley" on 7 sheets of 22"x34" = $325.-

        I hope that this still helps in your choice.

        Susanne Altenburger, PB&F