Re: [bolger] Re: Wiley Window

  • Mark Balogh
    Message 1 of 41 , Aug 30, 2005
      A friend of mine built a tri on which he circumnavigated and it had fairly
      large Wiley Windows in the cabin. I asked him about security and he said
      never a problem even in the worst conditions. On his windows the wedges
      were attached to the Lexan so they stayed in position. Also since he had a
      fairly long span on the top edge he had a wood stiffeners attached to the
      Lexan on that edge as well on the same side as the wedges. The bottom of
      the frame supported the bottom edge well enough but the stiffener helped
      hold the top edge firmly against the cabin side. A stiffener on the bottom
      edge might be a good idea depending on the fit of the frame and if the
      window was fairly wide or the plastic thin and flexible.
      Mark
      --
      BALOGH SAIL DESIGNS (434) 735-8262
      SAIL RIGS AND OUTRIGGERS

      From: "pvanderwaart" <pvanderwaart@...>
      Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 16:22:45 -0000
      To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [bolger] Re: Wiley Window

      > > If you made them so they so that the sides were
      > > closer to each other at the bottom than at the the top and the glass
      > > trapezoidal in shape to fit, wouldn't this allow the glass to be
      > > removed by lifting it only part-way up the frame, rather than all the
      > > way up?

      I have a little trouble envisioning the usability of the WW, so this
      is a naive question: Would making the frame trapeziodal make it harder
      to fit the wedges? Or harder to keep the wedges from falling out of
      position?

      Peter

    • Harry James
      Message 41 of 41 , Sep 4, 2005
        Paul

        Do you have any detail photo's of the construction of your Wiley ports
        that you could forward to me off line.

        Harry W. James
        welshman at ptialaska.net