Re: oar steering for a sailboat - like PCB's Cold Water Sailboard?

  • don_gordy_gordon
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 29, 2005
      I've seen one picture of a Jinni online, so I've no notion as to how
      similar it may be in hull form. But, yes, I was thinking of keeping
      the Sailboard's hull and sail rig, but would think about how changing
      the oar-rudder setup would affect the lateral resistance. I also
      dislike daggerboards. Where I putter in boats, there
      are numerous unmarked rock bars and ledges. Leeboards work well in
      those rocks,
      and I was attracted to the 'oar-rudder', as I believe it would be
      more crunch-proof than even a kick-up rudder. Unshipping the rudder
      (oar)to row would eliminate another pet peeve - having to lash the
      tiller or pull up the rudder blade when starting to row.
      I said that leeboards work well - I should have said kick up
      leeboards. I put a makeshift sail rig on a 17' Grumman at the start
      of the summer, and the leeboard and rudder are both on the starboard
      side - parallel to the canoe's centerline.
      There's a handle (1"x2"x16") at right angles to the long axis of the
      leeboard pointing aft. Using that handle, I can rake the CLR either
      fore or aft, steering without touching either tiller or sheet.
      Depending on wind and load the canoe could get stuck in irons. Moving
      the board foreward by pushing down on the handle as a tack starts
      eliminates that problem. It's a tinkerer's learning tool, and I've
      grown fond of it, so will probably try to incorporate it on my next
      boat.

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "graeme19121984" <graeme19121984@y...>