Re: Solar power

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 28, 2005
      I lived on a sailboat in the Florida Keys for a few years and had a
      solar panel rated by the factory at 4.8 amps also rated at 75 watts.
      When I installed the panel I put a 0-6 amp meter in line so I could
      tell when to change the tilt for more efficiency etc. Well, after
      about 10 o'clock the amp meter was pegged solid. I called the factory
      to ask what gives and they told me that each panel was actually
      measured after construction to give its rating as the cells themselves
      and the variations in manufacturing effects the output. It was
      measured at their factory which was somewhere in the midwest. I was
      getting much more sun energy in the Keys than they did where they were
      which was why my 6 amp meter was pegged. The difference between laying
      flat and being tilted early and late in the day was about 11/2-2 amps
      which said another way was a 25-30% increase in efficiency. My panel
      measured about 2'x4' and was mounted on a goal post sticking up from
      the transom of the boat. We lived very simply and it supplied all we
      needed and save running the diesel to charge the batteries ( 2-85AH).
      Also you will note that a solar panel will put out as much as 16-17
      volts so don't think of it as just 12 volts, it isn't. Good Luck.