Amherst Galley

  • David Ryan
    Message 1 of 62 , Aug 25, 2005
      FBBB,

      While the I60 remains in limbo, Phil and Suzanne have offered us a
      stop-gap design in the form of #643, the Amherst Galley.

      A Birdwatcher type, the Amherst Galley is 27'x6', and carries about 300
      ft of sail on a reasonably sexy (thanks in part to an 8' sprit)
      schooner rig. The boat features a sleeping room for 6, a camp kitchen
      (stove, sink, stowage), and onboard head. Empty she should weigh in at
      about #1500, making her a good trailer boat.

      Originally designed as part of a build and sail educational experience
      for teenagers, the design was intended to harness the students' backs
      for axillery power in the form of 4-8 "galley slaves" , on to each oar.
      If built, our galley would be crewed by one father/sailer and his
      stalwart 6 year-old daughter/mate, lubber-mom, a six-month old
      daughter, and two newfoundland dogs. This crew makes oar power an
      optimistic idea, but PCP&F have some notions for how a motor might be
      mounted, possibly on the rudder itself.

      Over the last few weeks I've been going over study materials, and am
      expecting full-scale plans by the end of the month. If undertaken, the
      idea would be to produce parts over the Winter, with assembly in March
      and April for a Spring launch.

      YIBB,

      David
    • philbolger@comcast.net
      Message 62 of 62 , Aug 1, 2012
        Sorry about this delay, Kev.  A whole lot of good reasons for this...  Your inquiry ended up in the wrong hopper.

        Thanks for your interest.
        Yes both plans are available.  'Jochems' has been built a number of times.  'Amherst Galley' not yet, surprisingly, as she reflects a range of increasingly relevant issues between human-power, safety under sail, speed, light weight, etc.

        Plans to build one boat, sent rolled in a tube, are:
        - #639 "William D. Jochems" on 5 sheets of 22"x34" = $300.-
        - #643 "Amherst Galley" on 7 sheets of 22"x34" = $325.-

        I hope that this still helps in your choice.

        Susanne Altenburger, PB&F