Re: Centreboard weighting -- TILT

  • donm172001
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 24, 2005
      If you drive ring nails into the inside of the hole at an angle from
      both sides of the centerboard, it will hold the lead if it shrinks
      away from the sides of the hole. I poured a 6" diameter disk for my
      centerboard and just got a little scorching around the edges of the
      hole as others have mentioned. Also, you need to "overpour" the lead
      so that the surface is a little above the centerboard. Surface
      tension keeps it from running all over the place. The lead shrinks
      quite a bit as it cools. Without the overpour, you will end up with a
      big hole in the middle. It is easy enough to plane off the excess
      once it cools.

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Derby" <derbyrm@e...> wrote:
      > Because it will be much more difficult to fasten the disc securely
      than it
      > will be to pour the lead into a keyed hole.
      >
      > Roger
      > derbyrm@N...
      > http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm

      Eh?