Re: [bolger] anyone ever use composite decking material

  • eheins@corlink.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 17, 2005
      I tried making floorboards in the Chebacco from 2x6 composite decking.
      I found the stuff needed much more support than a normal wooden product
      and eventually went with 1/2 inch ply. The composite is heavy and springy
      for it's size I found.

      > Has anyone ever used the new composite decking material in their
      > boatbuilding projects?
      >
      > I was wondering if there was any merit in this. I wonder how it would
      > take to epoxy and other marine adhesives?
      >
      > Here's an excerpt from there web site:
      >
      > ...composite decking is a wood and plastic composite, made primarily
      > from equal parts reclaimed hardwood sawdust and recycled polyethylene
      > plastic such as grocery sacks. The combination of wood and plastic in
      > (these) products offers the best of both materials. The plastic
      > shields the wood from moisture and insect damage: the wood protects
      > the plastic from UV damage and provides additional stability and
      > traction.

      > (978) 282-1349

      > Boating magazine
      >

      > Alaska outdoors
      >

      > Boating safety
      >

      > Great outdoors

      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >

      > Visit your group "bolger" on the web.

    • bobffej

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 17, 2005
          I was thinking more on the lines of chines and gunnels as
          prospective uses due to its "flexibility"

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, eheins@c... wrote:
          > I tried making floorboards in the Chebacco from 2x6 composite
          decking.
          > I found the stuff needed much more support than a normal wooden
          product
          > and eventually went with 1/2 inch ply. The composite is heavy and
          springy
          > for it's size I found.
          > >
          > > Has anyone ever used the new composite decking material in their
          > > boatbuilding projects?
          > >
          > > I was wondering if there was any merit in this. I wonder how it
          would
          > > take to epoxy and other marine adhesives?
          > >
          > > Here's an excerpt from there web site:
          > >
          > > ...composite decking is a wood and plastic composite, made
          primarily
          > > from equal parts reclaimed hardwood sawdust and recycled
          polyethylene
          > > plastic such as grocery sacks. The combination of wood and
          plastic in
          > > (these) products offers the best of both materials. The plastic
          > > shields the wood from moisture and insect damage: the wood
          protects
          > > the plastic from UV damage and provides additional stability and
          > > traction.
          > >

          > > Bolger rules!!!
          > > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, or flogging dead
          horses
          > > - stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed, thanks,
          Fred' posts
          > > - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts, and snip
          away
          > > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA,
          01930, Fax:
          > > (978) 282-1349

          > > Boating magazine
          > >

          > > Alaska outdoors
          > >

          > > Boating safety
          > >

          > > Great outdoors

          > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          > >

          > > Visit your group "bolger" on the web.
          Service.

        • donm172001
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 17, 2005
            I haven't used the composite decking material, but I can tell you that
            epoxy will not stick to polyethylene.

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "bobffej" <bobffej@y...> wrote:
            > Has anyone ever used the new composite decking material in their
            > boatbuilding projects?
            >
            > I was wondering if there was any merit in this. I wonder how it
            would
            > take to epoxy and other marine adhesives?
            >
            > Here's an excerpt from there web site:
            >
            > ...composite decking is a wood and plastic composite, made primarily
            > from equal parts reclaimed hardwood sawdust and recycled
            polyethylene
            > plastic such as grocery sacks. The combination of wood and plastic
            in
            > (these) products offers the best of both materials. The plastic
            > shields the wood from moisture and insect damage: the wood protects
            > the plastic from UV damage and provides additional stability and
            > traction.
          • Howard Stephenson
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 17, 2005
              That could be an advantage or at least no disadvantage in some
              applications. Could it be used to make a rubrail?

              Howard

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "donm172001" <Don_Maurer@m...> wrote:

              > I haven't used the composite decking material, but I can tell you
              that
              > epoxy will not stick to polyethylene.
            • David Godsey
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 17, 2005
                The plastic stuff used for patio decks is notorious for
                expansion/contraction due to moisture. Never seen it glued, only
                screwed.

                There is a manmade boat deck material that looks like teak but noted no
                pricing on their web site. My policy is, if I have to ask, I can't
                afford it. It has been awhile so the name of the outfit escapes me but
                you might Google boat decking, etc and see what pops up.
              • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 17, 2005
                  I use it to build decks at work it also exspans and contracts with temp
                  changes I think I would only use it for a rubrail glued and screwed
                  onto a sealed surface. It will not hold a screw very well so it woodn't
                  work well as a structeral componet.

                  Jon

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "David Godsey" <dvd_godsey@y...> wrote:
                  > The plastic stuff used for patio decks is notorious for
                  > expansion/contraction due to moisture. Never seen it glued, only
                  > screwed.
                • Wayne
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 18, 2005
                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jon & Wanda(Tink)" <windyjon@m...>
                    wrote:
                    > I use it to build decks at work it also exspans and contracts with
                    temp
                    > changes I think I would only use it for a rubrail glued and screwed
                    > onto a sealed surface. It will not hold a screw very well so it
                    woodn't
                    > work well as a structeral componet.
                    >
                    > Jon

                    I thought this stiff was the answer to my prayers. Living in a boat
                    building lumber black hole, it sounded great and available. Until
                    someone who knows a lot more than I do pointed out a glaring fault:
                    No interlocking grain structure, hence no strength.

                    There ain't no free lunch folks. Only God can make a tree and decent
                    lumber.

                    Wayne
                    In the Swmap.
                  • Clyde Wisner
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 18, 2005
                      Epoxy doesn't bond to poly and I found that a piece of trex just barely
                      floated in the Bay. Clyde

                      bobffej wrote:

                      > Has anyone ever used the new composite decking material in their
                      > boatbuilding projects?
                      >
                      > I was wondering if there was any merit in this. I wonder how it would
                      > take to epoxy and other marine adhesives?
                      >
                      > Here's an excerpt from there web site:
                      >
                      > ...composite decking is a wood and plastic composite, made primarily
                      > from equal parts reclaimed hardwood sawdust and recycled polyethylene
                      > plastic such as grocery sacks. The combination of wood and plastic in
                      > (these) products offers the best of both materials. The plastic
                      > shields the wood from moisture and insect damage: the wood protects
                      > the plastic from UV damage and provides additional stability and
                      > traction.

                      > Fax: (978) 282-1349

                      > Boating magazine
                      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Boating+magazine&w1=Boating+magazine&w2=Alaska+outdoors&w3=Boating+safety&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=F6_uQijqw2ScmVAPehRO4A>
                      > Alaska outdoors
                      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Alaska+outdoors&w1=Boating+magazine&w2=Alaska+outdoors&w3=Boating+safety&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=plfUV3CmlKk-hgZREfzBBQ>
                      > Boating safety
                      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Boating+safety&w1=Boating+magazine&w2=Alaska+outdoors&w3=Boating+safety&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=r8ql9_kKXb4ghiPn48fOvA>
                      >
                      > Great outdoors
                      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Great+outdoors&w1=Boating+magazine&w2=Alaska+outdoors&w3=Boating+safety&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=9l9RE2t51CbVVIxFXYgE4A>

                    • Gary Lepak
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 18, 2005
                        I haven't, and wouldn't, use it on a boat, but I recently made bunks for my
                        boat trailer out of it and it seems good for that. It is a bit slippery if
                        the boat needs to skid at all, so doesn't need carpet covering, and it won't
                        rot or split.

                        Gary
                      • jhkohnen@boat-links.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 19, 2005
                          I believe it's temperature changes that cause the expansion/contraction of
                          the plastic/wood composites, and they expand and contract a great deal!
                          Unlike real wood, the composites expand equally in all dimensions and it
                          can add up to quite a bit in the lengthwise dimension of a long piece. Wood
                          expands and contracts very little lengthwise.

                          --
                          John <jkohnen@...>
                          http://www.boat-links.com/
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 19, 2005
                            Here is an article about using this stuff as a substitute for a teak deck.

                            http://www.tritonclass.org/mir/PARKERDECK.htm

                            HJ