Re: [bolger] Re: MJ BUILDING QUESTION.

  • edward haile
    Message 1 of 10 , May 2, 2000
      Hi Steve,

      Holy smokes! The best I've done is six. So just exactly how much extra
      ballast have you added at this point? How much does the ship weigh?

      By the way, what with all this MJ redesigning business, I'd like to go on
      record as being highly pleased with the original trapdoor rudder. I had my
      initial misgivings, I admit. Bennett can tell you. But it really works well
      here and I love all that space aft. I have worked out a very nice pop-off
      catch so the door doesn't bubble up and flood at all.

      Ed Haile

      Message 2 of 10 , May 3, 2000
        In a message dated 5/3/2000 12:06:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        ewhaile@... writes:

        << Holy smokes! The best I've done is six. So just exactly how much extra
        ballast have you added at this point? How much does the ship weigh?

        By the way, what with all this MJ redesigning business, I'd like to go on
        record as being highly pleased with the original trapdoor rudder. I had my
        initial misgivings, I admit. Bennett can tell you. But it really works well
        here and I love all that space aft. I have worked out a very nice pop-off
        catch so the door doesn't bubble up and flood at all.

        Ed Haile

        Ed - I have not weighed Landroval so I don't know what she weighs - All I
        know is that the van handles the weight - so I'm not concerned. My total
        ballast is 825 lbs - all in the ballast tanks. I am real pleased with the
        feel of the boat.

        The aft portion of our cockpit is covered by a bimini - this is one reason I
        opted away from the trap door. I'm looking forward to seeing the new plans
        and will give the new twin rudder system a try - since I suspect they will be
        of shallower draft as well as allowing me to move the location of the
        outboard back to the center. I am very eager.

        She was flying on Saturday - and I suspect my sailmaker gets most of the
        credit for that. we also had plenty of 90 degee tacks - tho 50 degrees off
        the wind was faster than 45 degrees.

        steve
      • Peter Vanderwaart
        Message 3 of 10 , May 3, 2000
          > >p.s. Landroval was out in strong 15 mph winds yesterday - and the
          gps
          > >clocked
          > >us at 6.6 - 7.1 knots on a beam reach - with full sail.

          Speed measured by GPS is subject to various kinds of errors. The
          degraded signal that we have had to put up with for the past couple
          years causes indicated speed to wander up and down by a knot or so at
          sailboat speeds.

          I read in the paper that domestic interests are causing the military
          to stop degrading the signal over the USA, so we should see better
          positions and more accurate speeds this summer.

          Peter
        • Peter Vanderwaart
          Message 4 of 10 , May 3, 2000
            > The signal degradation was removed at 0000hrs May 1. The
            difference is
            > amazing,particularly the rapidity with which locational information
            > stabilises and the fact that the height ASL estimates now bear a
            close
            > resemblance to reality.

            A friend of mine who is an Air Force veteran told me that the purpose
            of the signal degrade was primarily to reduce the accuracy of the ASL
            numbers. That was enough to make it unreliable for the task of
            steering a nuclear warhead to hit the top of a missle silo exactly.

            PHV
          • C. O'Donnell
            Message 5 of 10 , May 3, 2000
              Sez Tim:

              The signal degradation was removed at 0000hrs May 1. The difference is
              amazing,particularly the rapidity with which locational information
              stabilises and the fact that the height ASL estimates now bear a close
              resemblance to reality. The GPS should now be reasonably accurate as a
              speedo.

              Sez I:

              Yes - before if you decided to fly your sailboat like a cruise missile,
              you'd nose into the turf long before arriving.

              Now when I'm afloat on the Chesapeake, the GPS tells me I'm near sea
              level. Awesome.

              Well, it was worth the $100 for the little Blazer I bought ...
            • hwal@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , May 3, 2000
                In a message dated 5/3/2000 8:57:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                pvanderw@... writes:

                << Speed measured by GPS is subject to various kinds of errors >>

                Almost burst my bubble!:-) This is the second time that gps measured 7
                knots while on a beam reach. Not bad for a box full of sand and lead. Steve (
                Landroval)
              • Peter Vanderwaart
                Message 7 of 10 , May 3, 2000
                  > Almost burst my bubble!:-) This is the second time that gps
                  measured 7
                  > knots while on a beam reach.

                  Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting you weren't screaming along,
                  just cautioning you not to rely on the decimal points.

                  :-)
                • T Webber
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 3, 2000
                    At 02:22 PM 05/03/2000 EDT, you wrote:
                    ><< Speed measured by GPS is subject to various kinds of errors >>

                    List,

                    I have been flying, driving and sailing with GPS for over 6 years and have
                    never seen any speed problems. I have cross checked GPS with Loran C,
                    speedometer and Aircraft DME and been totally satisfied.

                    Tim
                  • C. O'Donnell
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 3, 2000
                      The Cheap Info Graphic for the difference with SA off (as it is now)
                      is
                      in the file vault.
                    • tjfatchen@ace.net.au
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 11, 2000
                        BO>Speed measured by GPS is subject to various kinds of errors. The
                        BO>degraded signal that we have had to put up with for the past couple
                        BO>years causes indicated speed to wander up and down by a knot or so at
                        BO>sailboat speeds.

                        BO>I read in the paper that domestic interests are causing the military
                        BO>to stop degrading the signal over the USA, so we should see better
                        BO>positions and more accurate speeds this summer.

                        BO>Peter

                        The signal degradation was removed at 0000hrs May 1. The difference is
                        amazing,particularly the rapidity with which locational information
                        stabilises and the fact that the height ASL estimates now bear a close
                        resemblance to reality. The GPS should now be reasonably accurate as a
                        speedo. But you should be doing your navigation or coastal pilotage
                        without such things, so you're fully competent even in the absence of
                        batteries <g>.

                        Tim & FT2
                        SquareBoats! http://www.ace.net.au/schooner/sbhome.htm