Re: [bolger] Re: Canoe Yawls / Sea Otter 18 in Bolger3?

  • Will Samson
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
      Saw a couple of eels at the Port Townsend festival in 2000 - one open and one with a cabin. Both were absolutely gorgeous! I wonder if there are pics on John Kohnen's site?

      Bill
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
        Richard, Did I send you "BDQ" copies of the Bolger Camper? If so, do you
        have a way to post them for Nels?

        richardpercolator wrote:

        > Hi Folks
        >
        > Just curious-- anyone know anything about the Sea Otter canoe yawl
        > pictured in Bolger3's Files section?

        > Googling revealed little on the subject. I've also seen mention a few
        > times of Bolger's admiration of the Rozinante design, and that he was
        > at work on a Birdwatcherized version of that design for his own use.
        > Any word on that design being completed? Canoe yawls have taken my
        > interest of late-- anyone have any favorite or interesting examples
        > of the species they'd like to share? I like the Elver design from
        > Steve Redmond, among others. It just ocurred to me that Long Micro
        > might be considered a "box canoe yawl" in a sense... it fits the
        > typical dimensions and spartan character of a canoe yawls but in its
        > Bolger-boxy way.
        >
        > -Richard

        > Fax: (978) 282-1349

      • Paul
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
          Only thing I found was this:

          "SEA OTTER 18

          David Mossbuilds this delightful gaff rigged yawl. Contact him at
          David Moss Boatbuilders, Skippool Creek, Wyre Road, Thornton
          Cleveleys, Lancs. FY5 5LF. Telephone/Fax: 01253 893830 "

          Yes, neat. My recent mention of the "Eun Mara" must mean I'm in a
          traditional looking canoe yawl mood. Found a book in the bookstore
          about building boat interiors, and fell for the lovely woodwork.

          Paul

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
            Only thing I found was this:

            "SEA OTTER 18

            David Mossbuilds this delightful gaff rigged yawl. Contact him at
            David Moss Boatbuilders, Skippool Creek, Wyre Road, Thornton
            Cleveleys, Lancs. FY5 5LF. Telephone/Fax: 01253 893830 "

            Yes, neat. My recent mention of the "Eun Mara" must mean I'm in a
            traditional looking canoe yawl mood. Found a book in the bookstore
            about building boat interiors, and fell for the lovely woodwork.

            Paul

            > Just curious-- anyone know anything about the Sea Otter canoe yawl
            > pictured in Bolger3's Files section?
          • richardpercolator
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 2, 2005
              Hi Clyde

              Yes, it was to me that Clyde sent the copy of the BDQ article about
              Camper. I will try to scan those pages tonight and post them for
              Nels. Too bad I sold my scanner a few weeks ago... but I sold it to
              my neighbor, so I think I can go over to his house and use it there.
              If the file turns out to be not too large, I'll try to email it to
              Nels directly.

              -Richard

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Clyde Wisner <clydewis@c...> wrote:
              > Richard, Did I send you "BDQ" copies of the Bolger Camper? If so, do
              you
              > have a way to post them for Nels?
              >

              > richardpercolator wrote:
              >
              > > Hi Folks
              > >
              > > Just curious-- anyone know anything about the Sea Otter canoe yawl
              > > pictured in Bolger3's Files section?

              > > Googling revealed little on the subject. I've also seen mention a few
              > > times of Bolger's admiration of the Rozinante design, and that he was
              > > at work on a Birdwatcherized version of that design for his own use.
              > > Any word on that design being completed? Canoe yawls have taken my
              > > interest of late-- anyone have any favorite or interesting examples
              > > of the species they'd like to share? I like the Elver design from
              > > Steve Redmond, among others. It just ocurred to me that Long Micro
              > > might be considered a "box canoe yawl" in a sense... it fits the
              > > typical dimensions and spartan character of a canoe yawls but in its
              > > Bolger-boxy way.
              > >
              > > -Richard
              > >

              > > Bolger rules!!!
              > > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, or flogging dead horses
              > > - stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed, thanks, Fred'
              posts
              > > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930,
              > > Fax: (978) 282-1349

            • Peter Belenky
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 3, 2005
                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Heins" <eheins@c...> wrote:
                > I've always wanted to build an EEL. I think that's a William Garden
                design canoe yawl, about 20ft.

                18'6" Canoe Yawl Eel
                Plans available from WoodenBoat here:
                http://www.woodenboatstore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=400-090

                Some discussion here:
                http://www.woodenboat-ubb.com/cgi-bin/UBB/ultimatebb.cgi?
                ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=001455&p=

                Pictures:
                http://www.alberswoodenboats.com/

                I saw one for sale last Feb. and saved the pictures. I can't find them
                on the web anymore, so I uploaded them to Bolger5 files/William Garden
                Eel.

                -Peter Belenky
              • Nels
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 3, 2005
                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "richardpercolator" <richard@c...>
                  wrote:

                  > Hi Clyde
                  >
                  > Yes, it was to me that Clyde sent the copy of the BDQ article about
                  > Camper. I will try to scan those pages tonight and post them for
                  > Nels. Too bad I sold my scanner a few weeks ago... but I sold it to
                  > my neighbor, so I think I can go over to his house and use it there.
                  > If the file turns out to be not too large, I'll try to email it to
                  > Nels directly.
                  >
                  > -Richard

                  Hi Richard and Clyde,

                  Thank you kindly for the information you provided. I intend to
                  subscribe to BDQ forthwith and include an extra $7 for that issue
                  since I believe that is only fair. Plus it has infor on two other
                  Bolger designs!

                  http://www.woodenboatstore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=197-027

                  I was not aware that Phil and Susanne had re-designed Camper in 2004
                  and when I read the article it almost blew my socks off. It seems that
                  the changes were made in response to comments from this group perhaps
                  because almost everyone was suggested by folks here when Camper was
                  discussed at about that time frame.

                  I did not realize that it had a shallow box keel like the clam skiff
                  and now an anti-slap football has been added to the bow section. The
                  forward rails have been re-designed for improved access to the ground
                  tackle together wih anchor catheads and a Jonesport cleat on the bow
                  like Chebacco's. A fairly sophisicated adjustable vang strut has been
                  added between the boom and mast to prevent boom lift. Plus some other
                  minor changes.

                  Mike O'Brien winds up the article with, "I will note that, for his own
                  pleasure, Bolger is drawing a 'Birdwatcher' variant of Rozinante".

                  Does this mean the master is playing instead of doing his homework? We
                  might have to ask Susanne to maybe get him back into harness here for
                  awhile. Yet I would dearly love to see that version of Roz!

                  In the meantime I can see some Camper plans in my future:-) Perfect
                  boat for my Swedish cousins and maybe to be seen sailing alongside
                  Esmeralda.

                  I would strongly suggest that one browse through the back issues of
                  BDQ to see if your dream boat is listed. BDQ provides what amounts to
                  excellent study plans for all the designs it reviews, and actually
                  lines and offsets as well for many of them!

                  Cheers, Nels
                • Howard Stephenson
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 3, 2005
                    For a clue as to what this might be like, consider Burgundy, from
                    ch.10 of 30-Odd Boats. It's a 28' flat-bottomed deep-keel cat-ketch
                    with a low cuddy, meant to be a simpified version of Herreshoff's
                    Rozinante, at perhaps one third the cost. I guess a Birdwatcher
                    wersion of Burgundy would have that design's slot-cabin.

                    Howard

                  • bharbo@online.no
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 5, 2005
                      "Nels" <arvent@...> writes:

                      > In the meantime I can see some Camper plans in my future:-) Perfect
                      > boat for my Swedish cousins and maybe to be seen sailing alongside
                      > Esmeralda.

                      Any time!!

                      Bjørn
                      ready to take Esmeralda for a sail for the first time in two years!
                    • Clyde Wisner
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 18, 2005
                        I've always wanted to build a Topaz variant , but lately I have been
                        looking at the "1GM10" at Chesapeake Marine Design. 24' with a Bay
                        look and mentions a box keel. Clyde

                      • Don Schultz
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 19, 2005
                          I bought the study plans to get a closer look at this design. It is
                          very "Bolgeresque". Bolger's Plywood Diesel Cruiser in BWAOM is the
                          equivalent. Very very roomy!! The CMD design may be simpler than the
                          Bolger. The designer puts the modest tankage down in the box keel like
                          some of Bolger's similar designs. It seems likely a builder would
                          readily look to triple the specified tankage, to give the boat some real
                          legs.

                          In my very inexperienced opinion the CMD design is underpowered w' 9 hp.
                          The hull design is capable of handling some rough water, but one would
                          be short on hp in those conditions. Consider just the windage of the
                          hull. I wouldn't build the boat with less than a Yanmar 18hp. One
                          could also read Bolger's essay about his Delaware concept, specifically
                          talking about Jochem's schooner handling stiff weather with a 9.9
                          outboard. Built w' the 9hp engine, I think the owner would run the
                          little diesel wide open most of the time. More hp means a less stressed
                          powerplant most of the time, but sufficent power when needed to handle
                          the weather.

                          Don Schultz
                          "If you don't know where you're going, you'll end up somewhere else."
                          Yogi Berra

                          Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:59:19 -0400
                          From: Clyde Wisner <clydewis@...>
                          Subject: Re: Canoe Yawls / Sea Otter 18 in Bolger3?

                          I've always wanted to build a Topaz variant , but lately I have been
                          looking at the "1GM10" at Chesapeake Marine Design. 24' with a Bay
                          look and mentions a box keel. Clyde
                        • donschultz8275
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 19, 2005
                            After further review, I came across Redwing 40. This boat has a
                            Redwing sheer line, but the lower hull design has much in common w'
                            the IGM10 including the shallow box keel, and there are nice
                            color "cartoons" of the hull.