Re: [bolger] Electric auxiliary engine

  • Roger Dewhurst
    Message 1 of 21 , May 2, 2000
      At 16:35 2/05/00 -0000, you wrote:
      >I remember seeing a hydraulic drive auxiliary system advertised in
      >SAIL, decades ago. By now it is a vague memory.

      Hydraulic pump/motor combinations are common enough in general industrial
      situations. It is not necessary to look for special marine versions. But
      consider the efficiencies of both pump and motor and the head losses
      involved in pumping hydraulic oil around before going down this track.

      Roger.
    • Roger Dewhurst
      Message 2 of 21 , May 2, 2000
        > if you put a hatch/fishing table with some lagging under over the top of
        >the motor box, they are quieter than hanging on the transom. If you pull the
        >motor out (it better be under 10hp) and put a prawn cooking wire cage in you
        >can have a pretty good shower. Also the new 4-strokes are pretty quiet (but
        >as youve doubtless noticed you pay plenty for what you dont get...noise!)

        Some additional advantages perhaps:-

        The motor is not bumping around on the transom while towing.

        It is not exposed to tempt the thief.

        Old hacksaw blades can be embedded in the wood laminate of the covering box
        making it exceedingly difficult for the thief to cut the box off to get at
        the motor. Thieves here have been known to cut the whole transom out with a
        chain saw to get the motor! If I intended to hang the motor on the transom
        I would embed old hacksaw blades in the transom laminate!

        Roger.
      • Roger Dewhurst
        Message 3 of 21 , May 2, 2000
          At 18:13 2/05/00 -0500, you wrote:
          >We don't seem to have the thievery problem here in gun-totin' Southeast
          >USA...

          You are lucky. Perhaps we need to tote a little more artillery!

          >I didn't like the fumes (2-stroke), noise, or the drag (my well was small,
          >couldn't tilt the outboard for sailing).

          Have you seen those motor mount boards that lie parallel to the transom on a
          parallelogram frame which has horizontal pivoting axes also parallel to the
          transom. Mounted on these you simply lift the motor with a bit of help from
          a pair of big springs. You may even have to push the motor down to lock it
          in the drive position.

          >Also, it takes up valuable space
          >and cuts out a lot of planing area aft in a planing boat. There, that's my
          >whole rant.

        • Peter Vanderwaart
          Message 4 of 21 , May 2, 2000
            > Whats probably worse, none the less it won a "Cruising World
            Design
            > Competition & put him on the "Map", is Dud Dix's 32foot mono with
            the diesel
            > under the Saloon Table.

            For better or worse, engines in the middle of the cabin are very
            common in racing boats.

            Peter
          • Donald Hodges
            Message 5 of 21 , May 2, 2000
              We don't seem to have the thievery problem here in gun-totin' Southeast
              USA...

              I didn't like the fumes (2-stroke), noise, or the drag (my well was small,
              couldn't tilt the outboard for sailing). Also, it takes up valuable space
              and cuts out a lot of planing area aft in a planing boat. There, that's my
              whole rant.

              Don Hodges
              dhodges@...
              http://www.ecoastlife.com
              Your Cyber-Vacation - Loafing on the Emerald Coast
              Small Boats, Building, Fishing, Paddling, Rowing, Sailing
              > > if you put a hatch/fishing table with some lagging under over the top
              of
              > >the motor box, they are quieter than hanging on the transom. If you pull
              the
              > >motor out (it better be under 10hp) and put a prawn cooking wire cage in
              you
              > >can have a pretty good shower. Also the new 4-strokes are pretty quiet
              (but
              > >as youve doubtless noticed you pay plenty for what you dont get...noise!)
              > >

              > Some additional advantages perhaps:-
              >
              > The motor is not bumping around on the transom while towing.
              >
              > It is not exposed to tempt the thief.
              >
              > Old hacksaw blades can be embedded in the wood laminate of the covering
              box
              > making it exceedingly difficult for the thief to cut the box off to get at
              > the motor. Thieves here have been known to cut the whole transom out with
              > chain saw to get the motor! If I intended to hang the motor on the
              transom
              > I would embed old hacksaw blades in the transom laminate!
              >
              > Roger.

              > Now the best and coolest websites come right to you based on your
              > unique interests. eTour.com is surfing without searching.
              > And, it's FREE!

            • edward haile
              Message 6 of 21 , May 2, 2000
                Hi Gordon,

                Have you heard of "The Electric Wheel"? I picked up a brochure at the
                Annapolis boat show in '97 or '98, and I am still not quite sure what it is.
                I quote from the brochure:

                "The sailboat did 6k for 17-1/2 hrs (1200 watts burn rate) from a single
                charge, with three solar panels and regenerative feedback." "The sailboat
                did 2.7k with only one motor, demonstrating the redundant emergency
                operation." The boat was an old 33' mahogany yacht. The principle seems to
                be very high power at very low rpm. Weighs 50lbs.

                Ed Haile

                >From: Gordon Couger <gcouger@...>
                >To: bolger@...
                >Subject: [bolger] Electric auxiliary engine
                >Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 20:08:52 -0500
                >
                >I was looking at this issue of MIB and noticing what an intrusion the
                >engine compartment made in Bolger's small cruiser.
                >
                >Wheels started turning in my head, did a little math and concluded
                >that a hybrid electric set up would be possible. Using 2 90 amp
                >12 V alternators to produce about 120 amps would convert to
                >about 2 hp. It might take a 8 or 10 hp engine to run them but
                >a 2 hp electric motor will do about the same work as a 4 or 5 hp
                >IC engine You would not necessarily need a IC engine capable
                >of developing full power of the electric motor. The battery bank
                >could greatly increases the output of the electric motor for fairly
                >lone periods of time.
                >
                >I see several advantages to the system. First the motor starts
                >instantly every time when running off batteries. The shaft can be
                >parallel to the thrust line because the motor can be mounted
                >in the keel. You have a great deal more control of the motor
                >a low RPM. The IC motor does not have sit smack in the middle
                >of the boat just where you want to be it could be mounted to one
                >side under the seat and the batteries mounted on the opposite side
                >to balance the weight. Most of the time you could run on batteries
                >alone with no need of the IC engine. Some folks would probably
                >not even install and IC engine If all they needed and auxiliary for
                >was to clear the harbor and maneuver in tight spots.
                >
                >I see a few draw backs as well. Over all higher cost. More parts
                >make more places for problems and more cost of maintenance. Poorer
                >over all efficiency. If you had to make a long run on the auxiliary you
                >would probably need a bigger IC engine to get the same performance
                >as a conventional set up.
                >
                >Just some thoughts.
                >
                >Gordon
                >
                >Gordon Couger gcouger@...
                >
                >Stillwater, OK www.couger.com/gcouger
                >405 624-2855 GMT -6:00

              • Lincoln Ross
                Message 7 of 21 , May 3, 2000
                  I'd be skeptical. As I recall, 1200 watts is less than 2 hp, and
                  that's presumably before mechanical and electrical losses. Now if
                  they
                  said 12,000 watts, maybe. And how do you get "regenerative feedback"?
                  Wheels with brakes?

                • edward haile
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 3, 2000
                    Hi Lincoln Ross,

                    I'm not even at the skeptical stage. All I have is a brochure & claims that
                    this is something unique and unmatched in boat propulsion. "The Wheel is
                    more powerful, energy efficient, reliable and carefree than any other gas or
                    diesel engine, or electric motor of comparable horsepower in use today."
                    They are up to something, I don't know what. I mentioned it to see if
                    anybody out there knew more, and the subject came up. Regeneration they say
                    comes from a spinning prop as the boat sails. That sort of thing, along with
                    windvane and solar panels. My guess is it's a very efficient electric motor,
                    two, infact, with 8 moving parts and no grease or oil. Maintenance free
                    after 3 years in salt water. It says it relies on ten deepcycle batteries. A
                    bit more than 50lbs, I'd say. But then IC engines don't include the weight
                    of fuel tanks, do they? Anyhow, talk to Solomon Technologies in Benedict,
                    Maryland 301-274-4479.

                    Ed Haile

                  • Gordon Couger
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 3, 2000
                      From: "edward haile" <ewhaile@...>
                      To: <bolger@egroups.com>

                      > I'm not even at the skeptical stage. All I have is a brochure & claims
                      that
                      > this is something unique and unmatched in boat propulsion. "The Wheel is
                      > more powerful, energy efficient, reliable and carefree than any other gas
                      or
                      > diesel engine, or electric motor of comparable horsepower in use today."
                      > They are up to something, I don't know what. I mentioned it to see if
                      > anybody out there knew more, and the subject came up. Regeneration they
                      say
                      > comes from a spinning prop as the boat sails. That sort of thing, along
                      with
                      > windvane and solar panels. My guess is it's a very efficient electric
                      motor,
                      > two, infact, with 8 moving parts and no grease or oil. Maintenance free
                      > after 3 years in salt water. It says it relies on ten deepcycle batteries.
                      > bit more than 50lbs, I'd say. But then IC engines don't include the weight
                      > of fuel tanks, do they? Anyhow, talk to Solomon Technologies in Benedict,
                      > Maryland 301-274-4479.

                      As stated in the laws of thermodymaics there is no free lunch. If you use
                      wind
                      chargers and the spinning prop you pay for it in increased drag. If the wind
                      is strong enough to make hull speed it comes at a pretty small penalty.

                      The difference in effencies of electric motors is less than 10 precent for
                      the
                      regular to the best so you don't get much that way.

                      The only way to get distance is for the boat to be moving slowly so it
                      doesn't
                      make much drag.

                      There is nothing wrong with that.

                      There is a magnisum battery that produces electricity from a reaction with
                      salt
                      water. It is not a very good battery it has high internal resistance so the
                      voltage
                      falls very rapidly as current draw increases but I might be a way to store
                      fuel
                      for emergencies.The battery is consumed in the process. But it might be
                      worth looking into if you use an electric aux insted of a hyred system.

                      I think electric only aux motors would only be approiate in limited
                      conditions.
                      I think it would work great in Corpus Christy Bay and lousy if you were
                      crusing the inter coastal canal and totaly sensless for off shore crusing.

                      Gordon W5RED

                      G. C. Couger gcouger@... Stillwater, OK
                      www.couger.com/gcouger
                      "You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretzky