Re: [bolger] Micro Progress/lead hardness

  • David Jost
    Message 1 of 19 , May 2, 2000
      That certainly explains a lot! I will stick with bronze rod (since I
      already have quite a bit of it). I certainly can see why stainless
      would corrode under such circumstances. I would rather have the
      ballast corrode than the fastenings. I had an old Herreshoff day
      sailor that had bronze fastenings throughout. They were still in
      excellent condition despite 30 years of immersion in salt water. The
      keel on that boat was starting to corrode a bit, mainly due to the
      interaction of the copper bottom paint with the lead. This was
      shortly
      after the ban on paints with TFB in them. (I think that's the
      correct
      name)

      I now understand how stainless cannot be effective in an anaerobic
      environment. It needs to be exposed to the air to form its
      protective
      coating.

      Thanks for the input.
      David Jost
    • Bernie Wolfard
      Message 2 of 19 , May 2, 2000
        I think the idea of dabbling in "traditional" boat building
        methods
        is the only valid reason for bolting a MICRO keel. There is a huge
        downside to this in that it is generally considered a bad idea to
        drill holes in the bottom of a boat!
        As designed, a MICRO keel will pull the bottom off the boat before it
        lets go. This has been proved in personal experience as well in
        countless numbers of MICRO'S out there with keels attached as per
        plans. MICRO'S keel structure is a true composite, only different
        from high tech airplanes in that the composites interior foam is
        replaced with lead. It is as strong or stronger but with the mass
        make it a keel instead of a wing.
        That said, the idea of using ½" plywood on MICRO'S bottom is
        well
        founded. She will not be worst for the weight and be much strong,
        especially in taking the ground.

        --- In bolger@egroups.com, "David Jost" <djost@m...> wrote:
        > Peter,
        > I do not think that this is so much being pre-occupied, as
        being
        > careful. I think you have the correct idea in through bolting the
        > keel and building it vertical. I can see only good things
        happening
        > for what amount to very little extra expense here. I will install
        3
        > bronze keel bolts that will run the length of the mold, and will
        > provied recesses for the external nuts. I think that the wood
        dowels
        > were a great idea! I think I will also continue to use the exterior
        > sheething as well since I already have the material on hand.
        > How did you back up the nuts on the interior? And, What did
        you
        > use for caulking around the bolt holes?
        >
        > David Jost
        > " glorious in Boston today, "Firefly" now has two sides, 2
        frames,
        > and all spars and sails."
      • peter lenihan
        Message 3 of 19 , May 2, 2000
          Hi Bernie,
          The"huge downside"which you refer to,is ONLY true if one forgets
          to plug/fill the holes one has drilled with something useful! :-D
          Warm Regards,

          Peter Lenihan,itching to begin his seventh season with his MICRO
          which looks as beautiful and strong as the day she was launched,off
          the shores of the St.Lawrence......316 stainless keelbolts and
          all.....