Electric auxiliary engine

  • Gordon Couger
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2000
      I was looking at this issue of MIB and noticing what an intrusion the
      engine compartment made in Bolger's small cruiser.

      Wheels started turning in my head, did a little math and concluded
      that a hybrid electric set up would be possible. Using 2 90 amp
      12 V alternators to produce about 120 amps would convert to
      about 2 hp. It might take a 8 or 10 hp engine to run them but
      a 2 hp electric motor will do about the same work as a 4 or 5 hp
      IC engine You would not necessarily need a IC engine capable
      of developing full power of the electric motor. The battery bank
      could greatly increases the output of the electric motor for fairly
      lone periods of time.

      I see several advantages to the system. First the motor starts
      instantly every time when running off batteries. The shaft can be
      parallel to the thrust line because the motor can be mounted
      in the keel. You have a great deal more control of the motor
      a low RPM. The IC motor does not have sit smack in the middle
      of the boat just where you want to be it could be mounted to one
      side under the seat and the batteries mounted on the opposite side
      to balance the weight. Most of the time you could run on batteries
      alone with no need of the IC engine. Some folks would probably
      not even install and IC engine If all they needed and auxiliary for
      was to clear the harbor and maneuver in tight spots.

      I see a few draw backs as well. Over all higher cost. More parts
      make more places for problems and more cost of maintenance. Poorer
      over all efficiency. If you had to make a long run on the auxiliary you
      would probably need a bigger IC engine to get the same performance
      as a conventional set up.

      Just some thoughts.

      Gordon

      Gordon Couger gcouger@...