Re: [bolger] Re: Weldwood vs. Titebond II?

  • Roger Dewhurst
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1 4:59 PM
      At 11:05 17/04/00 -0000, you wrote:
      >In England it is nigh on impossible to find Weldwood... The Titebond
      >sounds like our local equivilant.."Hard as Nails" and looks like
      >glorified Elmers... I have just started using a product by Humbrol
      >(big UK adhesives co.)called Cascamite.

      Is Cascamite much the same thing as Aerolite the urea-formaldehyde glue that
      was used to stick Mosquito fighter-bombers together in WW2? Aerolite 308
      (melamine-urea-formaldehyde) is available here. It requires a hardener
      GBP.X or GBQ.X. It is described as a gap filling water resistant adhesive
      which is also resistant to heat, moulds and fungi and tolerates some
      exposure to weathering. There is also Aerolite FFD (previously Aerolite 300
      and possibly the original aircraft glue) and Aerodux which is a Resorcinol
      wood glue for exterior use and boat building; described as "superstrong".
      There a at least two Resorcinol glues here. Each requires a hardener.

      Is Titebond an EVA or yellow carpenters' glue?
    • Roger Dewhurst
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2 6:13 AM
        At 16:31 2/05/00 -0000, you wrote:
        >--- In bolger@egroups.com, Roger Dewhurst <dewhurst@w...> wrote:
        >> snip
        >>
        >> Is Titebond an EVA or yellow carpenters' glue?
        >
        >It (Titebond II)looks and handles very much like yellow carpenter's
        >glue. Regular Titebond IS yellow carpenter's glue.

        Is Titebond ll more waterproof than ordinary Titebond? Am I right in
        thinking that yellow carpenters' glue is very strong but not waterproof?

        Roger.
      • Lincoln Ross
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2 9:31 AM

          Message 4 of 4 , May 2 4:51 PM
            I recall that the package says "water resistant" and refers to a
            water
            resistance test of some sort. It also says "not for use below
            the waterline" or something like that. Regular carpenter's glue is
            water soluble. I used to use it as part of a system to hold a magnet
            over a reed switch until it got wet. The glue was supposed to wash
            off
            in a day or so.