Re: Pointy Skiff Progress

  • David Jost
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30 4:37 PM
      Rich,
      I built a Pointy Skiff 15 years ago which can be viewed at
      http://www.ultranet.com/~djost.
      The only advise I would give is to stay away from luan plywood
      at
      all costs. The 1/2" marine ply bottom is still perfect, but the
      sides
      that are built from luan are approximately 50% filler and epoxy and
      glass and 50% original wood.
      the boat rows pretty well for what it is and makes a nice small
      skiff for fishing or for rowing the family out to the mooring. I can
      lift it on and off my Ford Explorer by myself and do so regularly. (I
      was out in the harbor last Saturday trying to retrieve my mooring
      gear
      off the bottom) It has a tendency to blow around a little in a
      breeze.
      It you were to be using it for long distance rowing in windy
      conditions it would benefit from some kind of plank keel with a skeg
      on it, however it would be more difficult to beach on rocky shores.
      Have fun it is a great boat for the money,

      David Jost Ashland, Massachusetts