Re: PL Premium

  • Lincoln Ross
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 29, 2000
      Must be more than one flavor of this stuff, as I have some that came
      in a caulking tube. Seemed to work fine, but I haven't done any
      testing or used the boat yet. Takes a while (days or weeks in cold
      weather) to harden. I think there is PL Premium Construction Adhesive
      and then some other type or types.
      --- In bolger@egroups.com, gbship@i... wrote:
      > Several members of the list have mentioned at times using PL
      Premium
      > polyurethane glue. I always thought it was some kind of caulk glue,
      > like Liquid Nails, but got some at Home Depot yesterday. It looks
      > like the old Gorilla Glue,
    • C. O'Donnell
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30, 2000
        > testing or used the boat yet. Takes a while (days or weeks in cold
        > weather) to harden. I think there is PL Premium Construction
        Adhesive
        > and then some other type or types.

        The PL polyurethane glue comes in a bottle. I've used it for various
        things and it seems to work but I don't go whacking things with
        hammers.

        I did make a test - an old brick, with a piece of okume glued to it,
        and a "padeye" cut from a scrapped inflatable dinghy glued to that.

        It's all still in one piece. I use it as a ballast weight for sailing
        models. The padeye is so when the model capsizes, the ballast doesn't
        head for the bottom of the bay.

        There is a PL Polyurethane which comes in a large tube.

        There is also a PL which is 'construction adhesive' and seems to be
        the
        same sort of stuff as liquid nails (a must-avoid product, if you ask
        me).

        PL also makes polyurethane caulking which runs about $4.50 for 10 oz,
        comes in different colors, there is a 'housing grade' and a 'marine
        grade' which are about a dime apart in price. I don't know what the
        difference is; the contents seem identical.

        I am going to use this to caulk-glue the bottom onto a small (6ft)
        model scow and see how it works.