Re: MJ BUILDING QUESTION.

  • Mike Stockstill
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 29, 2000
      Hi Col

      > 1. On bulkhead A there are shown what appears to be drain holes on
      > either side at the base. What are these for? Isn't this a
      watertight
      > area? Are they necessary? Is this a stupid question?

      Yes, these are drain holes and yes that is a watertight area. Are
      they necessary ? That I am not sure, but I did include them. My
      AS-19 has a back bulkhead without the lumber holes, and water
      collects
      back there in a way that is hard to bail out.

      > 2. The plan indicates the FID at the mast base - I understand the
      > concept f'wd of the mast, but there seems to be one indicted aft of
      > the mast as well. Doesn't the mast sit flush the the bulkhead as
      > indicated on the large side-on profile?

      No - the mast rakes back slightly.

      > 3. What is the easiest way to get the rudder drift rods into the
      > rudder blade?

      My drift rods are welded to the rudder shaft. I plan on building the
      rudder in layers on either side of the rods somehow. I am not sure
      exactly just yet. Check out my web site and give me a call if you
      want to talk about it. Whoops - you are in Australia. Ok, send email
      then.

      Mike
      http://mkstocks.tripod.com/

      > Thanks
      > Col Mooney
      > Lismore, A
    • Bennett Scheuer
      Message 2 of 3 , May 5, 2000
        > > 3. What is the easiest way to get the rudder drift rods into
        the
        > > rudder blade?
        >
        > My drift rods are welded to the rudder shaft. I plan on building
        the
        > rudder in layers on either side of the rods somehow.

        At the risk of putting my 'two cents' in where they are not asked
        for... I think that there is an easier and better way to build the
        rudder for the MJ.

        Welds are not a good idea as they are prone to degradation, over time
        and laminating 'around' the drifts presents problems as well.

        What I suggest and did: Have the rudder shaft drilled to accept the
        drifts (light driven fit) which are cut full length, per the plans.

        Clamp the shaft, now with holes, up against a piece of two by four
        which will be the leading edge of the rudder(a piece of hardwood
        here,
        wouldn't be a bad idea); this done on a flat working surface. Using
        the
        shaft holes as a guide, drill holes through the two by four.

        Now, using the two by four as a guide, clamp it up against the
        already
        laminated aft rudder section (leave it square to ease clamping, shape
        afterwards) and drill the holes into the aft section. This again, is
        done on a flat work surface. Take your time and clear the drill bit
        frequently to avoid wandering.

        Lastly, clamp all three pieces together and drive the drifts through
        all from the forward edge of the rudder, aft.It will be a tight fit,
        very tight, if done carefully.

        Glass all heavily, paying particular attention the the area where the
        shaft is as nothing, including epoxy likes to stick to stainless
        steel
        very well.

        One of the advantages of this method is that when the rudder bumps
        into
        something, (and it will!) solid wood as opposed to ply takes the
        blow.
        Other advantages should be obvious.

        So much for my 'two cents'.

        All the best, Bennett