AS-29 sailing report

  • willers32
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 4, 2005
      Yesterday and today, my AS-29 had her first sailing trials. All I can
      say is "WOW!" This boat is a kick to sail. It takes a little trial and
      error to get the gaff-rigged main to set properly, but once you do, it
      is a sight to behold.

      I sail the Hudson river, and anyone who's ever sailed there will tell
      you trying to sail against the current is like pulling teeth. The
      Hudson is actually a fjord, a long narrow tidal estruary. Every 6
      hours, the river changes direction. For 6 hours it flows south, then
      for 6 hours it flows north. The current can run 3 knots or better,
      depending on tidal stage and river flow.

      But the AS-29 holds her own. With the wind at 10 to 12 knots, this
      boat will do over 6. I can't tell how much over because my knotstick
      is pinned at 6. Whatever it is, I was making as much as 5 knots ground
      speed against the current. There aren't many sailboats around, of any
      type, that can do that.

      With the wind at 7 to 8 knots, the boat sails almost flat, virtually
      no heel. You feel like you're standing still until you look at the
      knotstick and find your doing 4+ knots through the water. She leaves
      virtually no wake, even under power. The water is actually a bit
      calmer behind her than in front. This is a very efficient hull.

      As the wind picks up toward 10 knots, she starts to heel, maybe 10
      degrees or so. That's when the fun starts. This boat is comfortable
      doing 5 to 6 knots. The pounding, to be expected from the flat bottom
      and blunt nose, is a lot less pronounced than I expected. With any
      heel at all, she presents an asymetrical "V" shape to the water. She
      seems to slice the water more than slap it.

      Churning along at hull speed, the rig doesn't seem overly stressed. I
      built the spars to plan from D. Fir and Spruce as specified, and
      everything holds up fine. Very little creaking and groaning. The mast
      doesn't seem to bend much, even with full sail and driving at hull
      speed. The main sheet is a four part tackle and can be handled easily
      with one hand, except when the wind picks up. Then it's a good idea to
      take a turn around the cleat to save your hands.

      Tacking this boat is a dream. You just push the tiller over, the big,
      balanced rudder bites the water and you hear the gurgle as the boat
      spins around the axis formed by the bilgeboards. Next thing you know
      the boom has sailed over your head, she's taking her new heading and
      accelerating. No jib to drag around the mast. No winches to crank. No
      work at all.

      We get a lot of power boat traffic on the river and the wakes they
      leave are always a problem. I've had several boats, one a 45', 11-ton
      ketch. In light wind it's typical to completely stall when hit by one
      of these wakes. The wake bounces you around and knocks the wind out of
      your sails. Not the 29. She just dances over the wake and goes on her
      merry way. Up river, down river, whatever.

      To say that I'm pleased with her performance so far would be an
      understatement. Now I'm looking forward to taking some friends out so
      they can be jealous.
    • Harry James
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 4, 2005
        Uh pictures?

        HJ

        willers32 wrote:

> [...]
        >balanced rudder bites the water and you hear the gurgle as the boat
        >spins around the axis formed by the bilgeboards. Next thing you know
        >the boom has sailed over your head, she's taking her new heading and
        >accelerating. No jib to drag around the mast. No winches to crank. No
        >work at all.
        >
        >We get a lot of power boat traffic on the river and the wakes they
        >leave are always a problem. I've had several boats, one a 45', 11-ton
        >ketch. In light wind it's typical to completely stall when hit by one
        >of these wakes. The wake bounces you around and knocks the wind out of
        >your sails. Not the 29. She just dances over the wake and goes on her
        >merry way. Up river, down river, whatever.
        >
        >To say that I'm pleased with her performance so far would be an
        >understatement. Now I'm looking forward to taking some friends out so

      • Mike Wagner
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 4, 2005
          --- IB MailSpace Ad http://instantbuzz.com/5b08c6f0_1t ----

          The Profit Masters Team - Emerald Passport Home Biz
          http://instantbuzz.com/5b08c6f0

          ------------- MailSpace TM and Patent Pending --------------

          Sorry, it was a solo sail. I was too busy to man the camera. Maybe next
          weekend I'll have crew.

          This weekend was strictly "try it and see if it works." The rig is
          complicated and takes some getting used to. I had a couple of rigging
          failures along the way. Nothing major, just stuff I forgot to tie off
          properly or didn't tighten enough, etc. As much fun as it was, it was
          also a lot of work. No way I could have taken any pictures. Next week
          will be easier.