Re: [bolger] Digest Number 2527

  • Chris Lasdauskas
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2 1:00 AM
      Nice (though sad) story.

      Happy Birthday!

      Chris

      catboat15@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 7/1/2005 12:03:37 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
      > bolger@yahoogroups.com writes:
      >
      > Those Norwegians are one tough bunch of seafarers and skilled boat
      > builders I have to tell you.
      >

      > My next door neighbors when I was growing up about a century ago (80 years
      > tomorrow) were a Norwegian family. The father was a carpenter on a whaler and
      > fell off a mast and broke his back. The ship just dumped him off on the west
      > coast of California (Our first illegal immigrant?) He got a job as a carpenter
      > with a railroad (wooden box cars then) and saved enough to bring his family
      > over here.
      > Anyway when old Berg had a couple of beers he would tell some really
      > wonderful tales of wood whaling ships and their voyages. But it was touchy to get a
      > story out of him as two beers would start the story but three beers he could
      > only speak Norwegian. I just wish I was old enough at the time to listen more
      > carefully and remember some of the tales he told my Dad and Mom. His son
      > (and my best buddy at that time) Arne was killed in the war on one of those
      > Pacific islands and both his other kids Ellie and John (Until I was in Jr High
      > with John I thought his name was "Yonnie" the way his folks pronounced it.) both
      > died young.
    • Nels
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2 8:23 AM
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Chris Lasdauskas <cml@t...> wrote:
        > Nice (though sad) story.
        >
        > Happy Birthday!
        >
        > Chris
        >
        > catboat15@a... wrote:

        HAPPY 80TH JOHN!!!

        Statistics prove that Birthdays are good for you. The more you have
        the longer you live.

        Good luck on the Cartopper.

        Just use wider seam tape than called for and use a wide felt tip
        marker to draw lines. That's what I do now:-)

        A good quality orbital jig saw is also a blessing when cuts tend to
        wander and a Japanese duzuki pull saw costs $20.

        Cheers, Nels