Bolger "Grout" Double Brick Connector

  • Bryan L. Swinney
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2005
      Where may I find the plans and specs for the Bolger "Grout" that
      serves as the connector for two standard "Bricks" forming the "Double
      Brick?"

      Thanks for the help.

      Bryan Swinney
    • Bruce Hector
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2005
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bryan L. Swinney" <blswinney7@e...>
        wrote: "Where may I find the plans and specs for the Bolger Grout."

        Hi Bryan

        I don't think he ever actually drew them.

        It's pretty simple to make one though. Just lay a sheet of plywood
        on the ground and lay your two Bricks on the wood on their sides.
        Adjust them until you like the length and trace their outines on the
        plywood.

        Be creative, add a cabin, hot dog stand, head, whatever....

        There's some pretty clear pics of a nice Brick-Grout combo that was
        at the 2003 Kingston Messabout on the Messabout pages at:
        http://www.brucesboats.com
        Click on the links for Chuck and Jeff's photo essays.
        With luck, it'll be there again this year. It was a ball and a great
        sailor. THe owner added a big leeboard instead of the daggerboard in
        the drawings.

        There's a Grout section in the PD Racer group, a cut down Brick, here:
        But you'll probably have to join the group to see it.

        Good Luck,

        Bruce Hector
      • PAUL DELORY
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3, 2005
          Bryan: write Phil Bolger, Double Brick Plans are $75.00 post paid, rolled
          shipped ina tube.
          I think the Double Brick would make a fun racing class for a two man crew.
          Class stipualtions could be to plans with homemade sails. Might be
          something that could be raced internationally at the Wooden Boat Show of
          Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia. Each Year they host a week long event and party,
          featuring races class of windsprints, light schooners and an open class.

          I am thinking that with a little experience double brick could be sailed
          very fast,
          If you build one, please post [hotos and location.

          Paul

          >From: "Bruce Hector" <bruce_hector@...>
          >To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [bolger] Re: Bolger "Grout" Double Brick Connector
          >Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 14:34:28 -0000
          >
          >--- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bryan L. Swinney" <blswinney7@e...>
          >wrote: "Where may I find the plans and specs for the Bolger Grout."
          >
          >Hi Bryan
          >
          >I don't think he ever actually drew them.
          >
          >It's pretty simple to make one though. Just lay a sheet of plywood
          >on the ground and lay your two Bricks on the wood on their sides.
          >Adjust them until you like the length and trace their outines on the
          >plywood.
          >
          >Be creative, add a cabin, hot dog stand, head, whatever....
          >
          >There's some pretty clear pics of a nice Brick-Grout combo that was
          >at the 2003 Kingston Messabout on the Messabout pages at:
          >http://www.brucesboats.com
          >Click on the links for Chuck and Jeff's photo essays.
          >With luck, it'll be there again this year. It was a ball and a great
          >sailor. THe owner added a big leeboard instead of the daggerboard in
          >the drawings.
          >
          >There's a Grout section in the PD Racer group, a cut down Brick, here:
          >But you'll probably have to join the group to see it.
          >
          >Good Luck,
          >
          >Bruce Hector

        • Bryan L. Swinney
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 4, 2005
            Bruce Hector and Paul Delory,

            Thanks guys for the information. I haven't sailed since living in Flordia in 1972-1973. I
            took a sailing course from the Miami Yacht Club and discovered that sailing worked
            exactly as I always envisioned it. There is something special in handling a sailboat that
            satisfies something deep down in my soul. I've missed it and long to sail again.

            I have an insane yearn to try a double brick with a double Junk type rig.

            I greatly appreciate your help!

            Bryan Swinney
          • cosermann
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 5, 2005
              I wrote to Phil recently asking the same question. According to his
              reply, they are included with the Brick plans when you buy from him.

              Regards,

              wrote:
              > Where may I find the plans and specs for the Bolger "Grout" that
              > serves as the connector for two standard "Bricks" forming the "Double
              > Brick?"
              >
              > Thanks for the help.
              >
              > Bryan Swinney
            • Bryan Swinney
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 6, 2005
                Cosermann,

                Thanks, that confirms some earlier news.

                Bryan Swinney