Re: [bolger] Digest Number 2527

  • catboat15@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
      In a message dated 7/1/2005 12:03:37 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
      bolger@yahoogroups.com writes:

      Those Norwegians are one tough bunch of seafarers and skilled boat
      builders I have to tell you.

      My next door neighbors when I was growing up about a century ago (80 years
      tomorrow) were a Norwegian family. The father was a carpenter on a whaler and
      fell off a mast and broke his back. The ship just dumped him off on the west
      coast of California (Our first illegal immigrant?) He got a job as a carpenter
      with a railroad (wooden box cars then) and saved enough to bring his family
      over here.
      Anyway when old Berg had a couple of beers he would tell some really
      wonderful tales of wood whaling ships and their voyages. But it was touchy to get a
      story out of him as two beers would start the story but three beers he could
      only speak Norwegian. I just wish I was old enough at the time to listen more
      carefully and remember some of the tales he told my Dad and Mom. His son
      (and my best buddy at that time) Arne was killed in the war on one of those
      Pacific islands and both his other kids Ellie and John (Until I was in Jr High
      with John I thought his name was "Yonnie" the way his folks pronounced it.) both
      died young.

    • catboat15@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
        In a message dated 7/1/2005 12:03:37 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
        bolger@yahoogroups.com writes:

        Hell, clear duct tape and spray painted cardboard might do the
        trick! Connect two with wingnuts and you have a disposable schooner.

        Some place (Probably an old Popular Mechanics magazine) I have seen both a
        row boat and a canoe built of brown wrapping paper, flour and water paste all
        covered and protected with varnish.

        John Meacham
        High desert of California
        Bolger Cartopper.

      • Chris Lasdauskas
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2005
          Nice (though sad) story.

          Happy Birthday!

          Chris

          catboat15@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 7/1/2005 12:03:37 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
          > bolger@yahoogroups.com writes:
          >
          > Those Norwegians are one tough bunch of seafarers and skilled boat
          > builders I have to tell you.
          >

          > My next door neighbors when I was growing up about a century ago (80 years
          > tomorrow) were a Norwegian family. The father was a carpenter on a whaler and
          > fell off a mast and broke his back. The ship just dumped him off on the west
          > coast of California (Our first illegal immigrant?) He got a job as a carpenter
          > with a railroad (wooden box cars then) and saved enough to bring his family
          > over here.
          > Anyway when old Berg had a couple of beers he would tell some really
          > wonderful tales of wood whaling ships and their voyages. But it was touchy to get a
          > story out of him as two beers would start the story but three beers he could
          > only speak Norwegian. I just wish I was old enough at the time to listen more
          > carefully and remember some of the tales he told my Dad and Mom. His son
          > (and my best buddy at that time) Arne was killed in the war on one of those
          > Pacific islands and both his other kids Ellie and John (Until I was in Jr High
          > with John I thought his name was "Yonnie" the way his folks pronounced it.) both
          > died young.
        • Nels
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 2, 2005
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Chris Lasdauskas <cml@t...> wrote:
            > Nice (though sad) story.
            >
            > Happy Birthday!
            >
            > Chris
            >
            > catboat15@a... wrote:

            HAPPY 80TH JOHN!!!

            Statistics prove that Birthdays are good for you. The more you have
            the longer you live.

            Good luck on the Cartopper.

            Just use wider seam tape than called for and use a wide felt tip
            marker to draw lines. That's what I do now:-)

            A good quality orbital jig saw is also a blessing when cuts tend to
            wander and a Japanese duzuki pull saw costs $20.

            Cheers, Nels