New photos of Miro with Junk rig

  • Martin Roberts
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1 1:07 PM
      I have just uploaded two photos of b=my micro with its Junk rig.
      Sadly this was just a few days before my mast cracked for the second
      time. Will be back on water soon.

      http://tinyurl.com/7jcwe

      Martin
    • Nels
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1 4:36 PM
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Roberts"
        <martin.me.roberts@b...> wrote:
        > I have just uploaded two photos of b=my micro with its Junk rig.
        > Sadly this was just a few days before my mast cracked for the second
        > time. Will be back on water soon.
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/7jcwe
        >
        > Martin

        Hi Martin,

        Fantastic and inspiring. I have not been following your progress on
        this development and have a couple of questions.

        How have you located your mast? Is it centered over the cabin air vent
        opening, or off to one of the aft corners of the bow well? And is the
        mast resting on the bottom of the well as shown in the illustation?
        How tall is the mast anyway?

        If you were to make a new sail would you make it to the same area as
        shown or have you not tested enough to decide?

        I am wondering if the top panel could not be made a bit larger in area
        and the yard topped up a bit more? This would perhaps even increase
        light wind perforance even more and make the two top panels perhaps
        eaual in area?

        It seems really handy to have that amount of reefing capability.

        Thanks for sharing,

        Nels.
      • Paul
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1 5:28 PM
          Can you upload these to the files section? The photo section reduces
          all your lovely 215k photos or so to about 10k losing a lot of detail.

          Thanks,
          Paul

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2 1:07 PM
            I have uploaded one of the photos to the file section.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 2 1:23 PM
              Nels, Answers in line.
              > How have you located your mast? ..
              The mast in on the centre line just infront of the vent ( I have a
              window which now only opens a inch but still vents the boat ok. )

              I made a new mast step on the base of the well and a new structure
              to hold the mast. I made it all removeable so if the experiment
              went wrong I could be true to PB's lans.

              > How tall is the mast anyway?

              The mast is 21ft and 2 3/4 inches at the base. It was a second hand
              mast. Ideally I need a thinker one, but beggars....

              > If you were to make a new sail would you make it to the same area
              as
              > shown or have you not tested enough to decide?

              New Sail? I would go with roughly what I have. It is exactly the
              same as the original rig with one reef. That way I was sure I was
              not going to over do the sail area. One thing I would do is make
              the top panels out of thicker cloth and have stronger battens at the
              top so I could take more wind when reefed.

              > I am wondering if the top panel ...
              The design of the sail was very hard to judge. The main criteria I
              was worried about was the sheeting angles. I need not have worried
              I have plenty of room and the sheeting works well. I have noticed
              that the top two panels have lots of twist and no control, so may be
              three panels would have been better. As to a steeper angle. I
              stuck to the book and it seems to work. One thing I would change is
              the battens which are canes and they bend nicely but they do not
              have enough weight to come down on some points of wind and the
              downhauls just bend them and do not work.
              I will try to get some pictures of the mast setup as there is no
              mast at the moment it will show the layout well.
              > It seems really handy to have that amount of reefing capability.

              The reefing has changed my confidence in the boat altogether. I
              live 9 miles from the East Coast of England and I had never been to
              sea as I was too nervous to reef the sprit boom sail as all that
              happened was an under-powered boat and a dangerously low boom. I
              know I could have pushed the boom forward this then gives a very
              uncontrolled sprit which in a chop sways vigourously. So with the
              Junk rig I was able to go to sea last weekend and was confident that
              I could reef and ben in control.
              Downwind I was able to keep ahead of some larger marconi rigged
              boats, upwind was slow on a reach she was a dream. Set the sails
              and relax. She was balanced as much as she had been under the
              original rig, what more could I ask for.
              The next day the chop was up, officially 'moderate' seas and she
              faired very well. The hull stops in the short chop but I was still
              impressed. The sail moved around a lot in the swell, but no damage
              done. Back on the river with a force 4-5 she went great and with
              the tide helping she pointed well and she gave me the best sail I
              have ever had.

              Martin