storm petrel

  • leslie sr thomas
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 28, 2000
      anyone built or building the STORM PETREL, can let me know of their
      experiences.
      thanking you
      Message 2 of 23 , May 12, 2000
        where can i buy building plans for the STORM PETREL, and what is the
        price? ? ?
        Regards
      • Peter Vanderwaart
        Message 3 of 23 , May 13, 2000
          Go to the Source:

          Phil Bolger & Friends, Inc
          PO Box 1209
          Gloucester, MA 01930 USA

          FAX: 978-282-1349

          :-)

        • fung42@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 23 , May 13, 2000
            --- In bolger@egroups.com, "Peter Vanderwaart" <pvanderw@o...> wrote:

            > Go to the Source:
            >
            > Phil Bolger & Friends, Inc
            > PO Box 1209
            > Gloucester, MA 01930 USA
            >
            > FAX: 978-282-1349
            >
            > :-)
            >
            > --- In bolger@egroups.com, fung42@h... wrote:
            > > where can i buy building plans for the STORM PETREL, and what is
            > the
            > > price? ? ?

            good evening,
            thanks for the replies.there is one little problem, sent a fax to
            phil bolger and friends two weeks ago. no reply so far. >
            Regards
          • David Jost
            Message 5 of 23 , May 14, 2000
              A possible reason for Mr. Bolger's delay is that he may actually be
              boating! The weather in Boston was absolutely delightful today
              (Mother's Day) and anyone in their right mind was either building a
              boat as I was, or out enjoying the day in a boat. The Annisquam
              River
              would be wonderful on a day like today.

              David Jost
              Who is now celebrating the completion of bulkhead B for the
              currently two dimensional Micro "Firefly". (and currently out of
              bronze boat nails)
            • cuatralbo
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 6, 2003
                Any body knows if it is possible to find building plans for this
                boat? And any file or document about?
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 6, 2003
                  > Re: storm petrel building plans for this
                  > boat? And any file or document about?

                  According to the database, Chapter 10, of the Bolger Book
                  _Different Boats_.

                  I don't have my copy at my finger tips to check, but I
                  recall that most of the plans in that book are
                  reproduced 'in full' [reduced size, need a magnifying
                  glass]. It is a debatable question if the purchase
                  price of the book grants a right to build from the
                  plans. I'd bet that plans [and rights to build] can
                  be purchased from the designer too.

                  I vaguely recall that this design was also published
                  somewhere else, was it the old Common Sense Boats
                  catalogue.

                  I have always liked Storm Petrel, simple, sturdy and safe,
                  I want one!

                  The steel plate fin keel is elegant.
                • cuatralbo
                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 7, 2003
                    Thanks a lot, Bruce. I will write to Bolger.
                    Best regards
                  • Nels
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 7, 2003
                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "cuatralbo" <cuatralbo@y...> wrote:
                      > Thanks a lot, Bruce. I will write to Bolger.
                      > Best regards

                      Don't know if you saw this...

                      http://www.belljar.net/petrel.htm
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 7, 2003
                        --- Nels wrote:

                        > Don't know if you saw this...
                        >
                        > http://www.belljar.net/petrel.htm

                        That text is the [nearly?] exact
                        text found in the Chapter on Storm
                        Petrel in the book _Different Boats_.

                        Also in the book is the builders key
                        and reduced size prints of the plans.

                        Eight sheet of plywood! I want one!
                      • pseudospark
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 27, 2003
                          The link below is to my site. I've not updated it in a while but I
                          have started on the frames for my Storm Petrel and I am planning to
                          have it essentially done this summer. I am still planning to reduce
                          the depth of the keel per the advice I got from PCB last year.

                          Steve H

                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 27, 2003
                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "pseudospark" <shansen@t...> wrote:

                            > The link below is to my site. I've not updated it in a while but I
                            > have started on the frames for my Storm Petrel and I am planning to
                            > have it essentially done this summer. I am still planning to reduce
                            > the depth of the keel per the advice I got from PCB last year.
                            >
                            > Steve H

                            Hi Steve,

                            Thanks for the response. That is a very interesting essay by the "The
                            Man" himself as to what to consider in a seaworthy boat. I am
                            interested in three things:

                            1. How much you are planning to reduce the depth of keel by and if
                            you are making it thicker to keep the weight the same.

                            2. Whether or not you purchased plans or did Mr. Bolger allow it to
                            be built from the information provided in "Different Boats?"

                            3. Is it possible to obtain the illustrations that may have come with
                            the article? I no longer have my copy of "Different Boats" it seems:-(

                            Thanks again, Nels
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 27, 2003
                              --- pseudospark wrote:
                              > I have started on the frames
                              > for my Storm Petrel and ...

                              I am sure I am not alone
                              around here eager to see
                              pictures! Pleeeeease!

                              Also, I would love to hear
                              specifics of Phil Bolger's
                              comments about Storm Petrel.

                              Is there a sketch of the
                              revised fin?
                            • pseudospark
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 28, 2003
                                Nels,

                                I have started a page on Storm Petrel, see
                                http://www.belljar.net/bolgersp.htm

                                There's not much there yet but I do have a sketch per Phil's
                                recommendations. I'll probably end up with a keel about 6-8 inches
                                deep and may (may) have a provision for a dagger board or something
                                similar as an assist.

                                The keel will be plywood, fairly thick and with a steel shoe. I'll
                                have lead inserts with a mass comparable to the steel plate and with
                                the center of gravity placed where the full steel plate's CG would
                                have been.

                                I first saw SP in Small Boat Journal. There was a small
                                illustration/sketch, probably the same as was in the book (haven't
                                seen that) but there were no dimensions. I'd spend the $50 with Phil
                                if you are interested in building it.

                                At some point I'll put the content of Phil's letter to me on the
                                site along with pictures. When I first communicated with him
                                something over 10 years ago he couldn't find the plans and he stated
                                that he didn't think it was one of his better efforts.

                                I'm not sure if he changed his opinion or not but about 3 years ago
                                when he did uncover the plans (cost was a reasonable $50) he said
                                that it should suit my purposes fine. I'm not looking for an
                                efficient sailer but something that can use a sail in good
                                conditions (otherwise I've got a selection of OBs in the 2-5 hp
                                range), be easy to tow, and perform safely when the sea kicks up a
                                bit. I also like the flat deck/seating area. Should make a decent
                                fly fishing platform.

                                We live in So. NH and just purchased some waterfront land (well,
                                it's on an inlet that dries out at low tide) in midcoast Maine. It's
                                about 5 miles to the Muscle Ridge Islands in Penobscot Bay and I can
                                see this boat fitting in nicely.

                                Thanks for your interest.

                                Steve H

                                > Thanks for the response. That is a very interesting essay by
                                the "The
                                > Man" himself as to what to consider in a seaworthy boat. I am
                                > interested in three things:
                                >
                                > 1. How much you are planning to reduce the depth of keel by and if
                                > you are making it thicker to keep the weight the same.
                                >
                                > 2. Whether or not you purchased plans or did Mr. Bolger allow it
                                > be built from the information provided in "Different Boats?"
                                >
                                > 3. Is it possible to obtain the illustrations that may have come
                                with
                                > the article? I no longer have my copy of "Different Boats" it
                                seems:-(

                                > Thanks again, Nels
                              • Nels
                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 28, 2003
                                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "pseudospark" <shansen@t...> wrote:
                                  > Nels,
                                  >
                                  > I have started a page on Storm Petrel, see
                                  > http://www.belljar.net/bolgersp.htm
                                  >
                                  > There's not much there yet but I do have a sketch per Phil's
                                  > recommendations. I'll probably end up with a keel about 6-8 inches
                                  > deep and may (may) have a provision for a dagger board or something
                                  > similar as an assist.

                                  Hi Steve,

                                  Thanks for taking the time to add this information. I think it might
                                  be of interest for a lot of the Bolgerados.

                                  The changes to the keel look to be much more friendly for trailering
                                  and I wonder if it would work in conjunction with a shallow rudder
                                  with end plate?

                                  Not too sure if I'm that crazy about the sailing rig in the file
                                  photos. I might tend to favor the original one from the Zephyr.
                                  Reason being a shorter mast and no jib to worry about. Having sailed
                                  a sunfish I have found this to be a friendly rig that can peak a sail
                                  up pretty well while keeping a short mast that adds to the boats
                                  ability to ride out bad weather.

                                  Out here on the prairies, because of control dams etc. - many of the
                                  lakes are more like resevoirs. They can get pretty ugly when an
                                  afternoon thunderstorm suddenly pops over the hills. Therefore many
                                  fishermen have big boats with huge motors to get off the lake
                                  quickly. Often these storms only last for 15 or 30 minutes and them
                                  everything settles down again.

                                  Something like this offers another option - the cork in the bottle:-)
                                  A person could drop the sail - batten down the hatch and lie down
                                  until the storm passed. (Deploying the anchor too - almost forgot:-)
                                  It also gives an option to using the motor. In fact a yuloh might
                                  work as well.

                                  I would be interested in seeing any further diagrams - not to build
                                  from - but just get a sense of what the construction entails. Seems
                                  sort of like a SURF with the midship section sealed up, together with
                                  a Zephyr sailplan and a full length keel.

                                  http://www.instantboats.com/images/surfst.jpg

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 28, 2003
                                    Hi Nels,

                                    I just updated the page ( http://www.belljar.net/bolgersp.htm )a bit
                                    with some excerpts from PCB's letter to me. Yes, he specified the
                                    addition of a 12" wide end plate to the rudder.

                                    I am planning to use the lateen rig. It looks good, Phil specified
                                    it, and it keeps the mast short. I'm sure that there are strong
                                    parallels to other boats of the instant boat series. I believe that
                                    SP was done for Payson. (By the way, I saw a boat propped up in
                                    someone's back yard in So. Thomaston, ME a couple weeks ago. There
                                    was a cover over the boat but the hull shape and keel looked very
                                    much like SP. No one was home so I will look into this further next
                                    time I'm up there.)

                                    I did make a balsa model of the boat. Unfortunately my wife has the
                                    digital camera and she's away until tomorrow. I'll take a picture of
                                    it and stick it on the Web within a couple of days.

                                    Changing subjects a bit, I am toying with the idea of using a
                                    modified (legless) "Tent Cot" ( http://www.tentcot.com ) as a solo
                                    sleeping accomodation. Fastened to the deck it should be fairly
                                    comfortable. Fashioning a hatch in the bottom, one could access
                                    supplies, potti, etc. in the below decks part of the boat. These are
                                    pretty cheap and fold up quickly.

                                    Steve H

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Nov 28, 2003
                                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "pseudospark" <shansen@t...> wrote:
                                      > Hi Nels,
                                      >
                                      > I just updated the page ( http://www.belljar.net/bolgersp.htm )a
                                      bit
                                      > with some excerpts from PCB's letter to me. Yes, he specified the
                                      > addition of a 12" wide end plate to the rudder.
                                      >
                                      > I am planning to use the lateen rig. It looks good, Phil specified
                                      > it, and it keeps the mast short. I'm sure that there are strong
                                      > parallels to other boats of the instant boat series. I believe that
                                      > SP was done for Payson. (By the way, I saw a boat propped up in
                                      > someone's back yard in So. Thomaston, ME a couple weeks ago. There
                                      > was a cover over the boat but the hull shape and keel looked very
                                      > much like SP. No one was home so I will look into this further next
                                      > time I'm up there.)

                                      Hi Steve,

                                      Wow So. Thomaston, that's Dynamite's territory! I've actually been
                                      there and in fact still have the T-shirt! 'Keag Store showing a moose
                                      pumping gas:-)

                                      Thanks once again for taking the extra time to provide us with some
                                      more details. The website looks really great and I can identify with
                                      the flow of your designs. The hobie is a bit limited for coastal
                                      cruising I would imagine - but is probably quite seaworthy so long as
                                      your chest waders don't start taking on water:-)

                                      The CSD PIROGUE looks really nice and the Shell modifications seem
                                      practical. I might be tempted to try the SWEET PEA rig on the PIROGUE
                                      (maybe with an outrigger) and the 2 hp Honda on the Shell dingy:-)

                                      One thing I am wondering about STORM PETREL, is where does one put
                                      the motor? I wonder if it might be advisable to have a set-up with an
                                      inboard rudder, and a free flooding motorwell like Oldshoe and the
                                      Micros. This allows the outboard to be on the centerline and
                                      protected by the keel. Make it more a true motorsailer.

                                      I also took Mr. Bolger's comments about a high aspect fin to heart
                                      and won't embarras myself further with that line of thinking:-)

                                      I am looking forward to any further ilustrations that show the plan
                                      and cross-section views and/or photos of the model.

                                      Cheers, Nels
                                    • pseudospark
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Nov 28, 2003
                                        My wife's family has been generally congregating around the So.
                                        Thomaston area over the past few years. Her parents live right
                                        around the corner from the Keag Store. Her sister and her husband
                                        are just up the road from Dynamite Payson and our new property is in
                                        Owl's Head with access to the Keag River from a cove. I'm the only
                                        Maine native of the lot.

                                        The motor on Storm Petrel mounts to either the right or left side of
                                        the transom. It's not enough off center to cause any directional
                                        problems. Inboard mounting of the rudder, in my opinion, would
                                        complicate things and take space away from the cockpit area. On the
                                        other hand I've never really thought about it. I have given some
                                        thought to a small well to keep the gas supply segregated from the
                                        rest of the cockpit.

                                        Thanks for your other comments.

                                        Steve

                                        > Wow So. Thomaston, that's Dynamite's territory! I've actually been
                                        > there and in fact still have the T-shirt! 'Keag Store showing a
                                        moose
                                        > pumping gas:-)
                                        >
                                        > Thanks once again for taking the extra time to provide us with
                                        some
                                        > more details. The website looks really great and I can identify
                                        with
                                        > the flow of your designs. The hobie is a bit limited for coastal
                                        > cruising I would imagine - but is probably quite seaworthy so long
                                        as
                                        > your chest waders don't start taking on water:-)
                                        >
                                        > The CSD PIROGUE looks really nice and the Shell modifications seem
                                        > practical. I might be tempted to try the SWEET PEA rig on the
                                        PIROGUE
                                        > (maybe with an outrigger) and the 2 hp Honda on the Shell dingy:-)
                                        >
                                        > One thing I am wondering about STORM PETREL, is where does one
                                        put
                                        > the motor? I wonder if it might be advisable to have a set-up with
                                        an
                                        > inboard rudder, and a free flooding motorwell like Oldshoe and the
                                        > Micros. This allows the outboard to be on the centerline and
                                        > protected by the keel. Make it more a true motorsailer.
                                        >
                                        > I also took Mr. Bolger's comments about a high aspect fin to heart
                                        > and won't embarras myself further with that line of thinking:-)
                                        >
                                        > I am looking forward to any further ilustrations that show the
                                        plan
                                        > and cross-section views and/or photos of the model.
                                        >
                                        > Cheers, Nels
                                      • pseudospark
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Nov 29, 2003
                                          Hi Nels,

                                          I added 3 pictures of my Storm Petrel model to the Web page. Go to
                                          http://www.belljar.net/bolgersp.htm

                                          Steve H

                                          > I am looking forward to any further ilustrations that show the
                                          plan
                                          > and cross-section views and/or photos of the model.
                                          >
                                          > Cheers, Nels
                                        • Nels
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Nov 29, 2003
                                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "pseudospark" <shansen@t...> wrote:

                                            > Hi Nels,
                                            >
                                            > I added 3 pictures of my Storm Petrel model to the Web page. Go to
                                            > http://www.belljar.net/bolgersp.htm
                                            >
                                            > Steve H

                                            Hi Steve,

                                            It was quite amazing to see the shape of the boat in 3-dimensions. To
                                            my eye it is a very nice looking hull and I have returned to looking
                                            at it over and over. I can see where it really can grow on you:-)

                                            Nice easy curves. A bit of flare in the bow to keep out the waves.
                                            Does it call for 3/8" ply? Maybe two layers on the bottom?

                                            Looks like a very versatile design for the investment.

                                            Cheers, Nels
                                          • pseudospark
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Nov 29, 2003
                                              Nels,

                                              It takes 8 sheets of 3/8" ply with two sheets for the sides, most of
                                              two for the bottom, one and half for the deck, and the other bits
                                              scattered between the remaining sheets. I've got 6 sheets of 3/8"
                                              okoume and will probably make the bottom from MDO along with the
                                              keel. I plan to only glass the bottom but epoxy coat the rest.

                                              I just pulled out one of the drawing sheets and it does say that the
                                              design is for Payson.

                                              Steve H

                                              > It was quite amazing to see the shape of the boat in 3-dimensions.
                                              > my eye it is a very nice looking hull and I have returned to
                                              looking
                                              > at it over and over. I can see where it really can grow on you:-)
                                              >
                                              > Nice easy curves. A bit of flare in the bow to keep out the waves.
                                              > Does it call for 3/8" ply? Maybe two layers on the bottom?
                                              >
                                              > Looks like a very versatile design for the investment.
                                              >
                                              > Cheers, Nels
                                            • Nels
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Nov 30, 2003
                                                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "pseudospark" <shansen@t...> wrote:
                                                > Nels,
                                                >
                                                > It takes 8 sheets of 3/8" ply with two sheets for the sides, most
                                                of
                                                > two for the bottom, one and half for the deck, and the other bits
                                                > scattered between the remaining sheets. I've got 6 sheets of 3/8"
                                                > okoume and will probably make the bottom from MDO along with the
                                                > keel. I plan to only glass the bottom but epoxy coat the rest.
                                                >
                                                > I just pulled out one of the drawing sheets and it does say that
                                                the
                                                > design is for Payson.
                                                >
                                                > Steve H

                                                It really is an accomplishment to design a boat with the apparent
                                                capabilities and safety of Storm Petrel and only uses 8 sheets of
                                                3/8" plywood!

                                                I notice the photos in the files show the doghouse as removable. Is
                                                this to plan? Of course that way it could also be used as an open
                                                boat with watertight hold. Is this where you got the idea to use the
                                                enclosed folding cot?

                                                Is the modified keel shown in the plans? If not it would probably be
                                                quite similar to one for Chebacco version #2 illustrated on page 229
                                                of BWAOM. I agree that the transom hung rudder makes the most sense.

                                                I am also assuming that the plans are number keyed and it assembles
                                                the same way as the other Instant boats. The biggest challenge may be
                                                the bevels in the chines and sheer clamps as they may not be constant.

                                                Looks like I will be ordering plans, since I am ordering the
                                                Navigator supplement to my Micro plans:-)

                                                Cheers, Nels
                                              • pseudospark
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Nov 30, 2003
                                                  My model doesn't show the doghouse. As it's drawn, it's designed to
                                                  be lashed down. I'm thinking of just a flat plate so that the stuff
                                                  in the "cabin" can be kept dry and there would be plenty of
                                                  sprawling space on deck. The Tent Cot could be kept in the hold when
                                                  not in use.

                                                  The reduced keel is not on the plans. I made up a basic sketch and
                                                  Bolger added his comments to it.

                                                  The plans are on 2 sheets with a number key set of instructions.
                                                  Pretty complete. You start by assembling the deck upside down, add
                                                  the frames, attach the sides, nail the bottom and the hull is done.
                                                  All the woodwork is instant boat level.