Re: Enlarged Gypsy

  • graeme19121984
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29, 2005
      Robert, would you mind posting your photos from here,

      http://www.lightarteddesign.com/boats.html

      to one of the Bolger group files sections? As is, the thumb photo of
      your enlarged Gypsy on starboard tack when viewed expanded sadly has
      most of the hull cropped. I believe photos uploaded to a files section
      may show more construction detail as well.

      I woke this morning with a nagging thought that I had seen this boat
      before, or something similar. Then it came to me: take a look at
      Tasmanian Murray Isles' "adventure cruising" dinghy designs.
      Particularly "Kintail 11" here,

      http://www.islesdesign.com/designs/menu.html

      seems to me very like the lines of your boat. Does it approach your
      conception of a more heaviiy constructed 'Enlarged Gypsy'
      beachcruiser? Your boat obviously sailed well, how did it row?

      IIRC a couple of years ago "Cruising Helmsman" magazine had a good
      colour spread and story of the Fijian "Kintail 11" that cruised the
      open ocean, inter-island. Very impressive. Quick and seaworthy, as
      dinghies go.

      I think the closest PCB&F have would be an open "Chebaccco" though I
      think they have been asked for various 'Gypsy' derived designs over
      the years, eg: decking, doubling.

      My guess is PCB would also appreciate receiving your 'Enlarged Gypsy'
      pictures and story. [I've lately been reading BWAOM (and found its
      immpossible to do so systematically) and find, here and there, hints
      or encouragements to diverge from the plans, eg: lines and offset
      tables given so other than the designed assembly methods may be used;
      the sense throughout that its an adventure in boat design that you are
      asked to participate in; Payson is aknowledged by PCB as a close
      longtime friend, sells Bolger plans as drawn, yet in his writing on
      PCB's design often differs. Mind you I've read PCB&F naturally take no
      consequential responsibility for diversions from plan, there were some
      acerbic criticisms posted here early on.]

      Happy boatbuilding
      graeme

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "graeme19121984" <graeme19121984@y...>