Commonsense Skiff

  • gbship
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 29, 2005
      Does anyone know of a link to pictures/plans for the Commonsense Skiff,
      a rowing/sailing/power combo that Bolger drew several years ago?

      Thanks

      Gary Blankenship
    • graeme19121984
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 29, 2005
        Gary,
        if you look in this group's files under Perfect Skiff, or here:

        The boats here, 'CSD Skiff', and 'Beach Cruiser Concept', are great!
        PCB writes 'BCC' can sail through very rough water, including surf.
        What's rougher than surf :)?

        I'm inclined to prefer the 'BCC'. Is it a kind of
        stretched'n'decked 'Jinni'? (not many images around of 'Jinni',
        especially plan view, though the design is refered to plenty. Its in
        an old book I've been unable to get yet.)

        Do you know if PCB proved the concept of 'BCC'? Has done a design
        (perhaps for the allegedly infamous Woodenboat magazine early
        90's "Perfect Skiff Competition")? Or are the compromises (to power
        etc)in 'CSD Skiff' it?

        cheers
        graeme

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "gbship" <gbship@c...> wrote:
        > Does anyone know of a link to pictures/plans for the Commonsense
        Skiff,
        > a rowing/sailing/power combo that Bolger drew several years ago?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Gary Blankenship
      • gbship
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 1, 2005
          Graeme:

          Thanks. Found them. That beach cruiser is interesting. I'm looking
          for womething that can be built of foam/epoxy/glass instead of
          ply/glass for an ultra-light boat, hopefully in the 70-80 pound
          range. Candidates are these two boats, Michalak's Woodbo, and maybe
          Gypsy, with some modifications (I want a reefing sail and room to
          sleep on board under a boom tent. Not sure the Beach Cruiser could be
          done light enough, but it sure is a seductive design.

          Gary

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "graeme19121984" <graeme19121984@y...>
          wrote:
          > Gary,
          > if you look in this group's files under Perfect Skiff, or here:

          > The boats here, 'CSD Skiff', and 'Beach Cruiser Concept', are
          great!
          > PCB writes 'BCC' can sail through very rough water, including surf.
          > What's rougher than surf :)?
          >
          > I'm inclined to prefer the 'BCC'. Is it a kind of
          > stretched'n'decked 'Jinni'? (not many images around of 'Jinni',
          > especially plan view, though the design is refered to plenty. Its
          in
          > an old book I've been unable to get yet.)
          >
          > Do you know if PCB proved the concept of 'BCC'? Has done a design
          > (perhaps for the allegedly infamous Woodenboat magazine early
          > 90's "Perfect Skiff Competition")? Or are the compromises (to power
          > etc)in 'CSD Skiff' it?
          >
          > cheers
          > graeme
          >
          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "gbship" <gbship@c...> wrote:
          > > Does anyone know of a link to pictures/plans for the Commonsense
          > Skiff,
          > > a rowing/sailing/power combo that Bolger drew several years ago?
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > >
          > > Gary Blankenship
        • graeme19121984
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 1, 2005
            Hi Gary, I just realised from here: (see pp 3 & 9)

            http://www.boatdesign.com/postings/Files/instbb/ib9.pdf

            that "Jinni" is a plumb-sided squareboat. Slightly bigger than "June
            Bug" eh? Pretty. Fast. Camp space for two, a tent that could also
            cover both fore and aft storage compartents without the rainwater
            runs from a mast stepped in the forward well.

            Apparently Bolger mods include solent lug (easier reefing), lee
            boards, and
            Jim Michalak's mods of pivoting lee board/rudder, and balanced lug
            (easier reefing but rainwater dowm mast).

            Pre-glassed foam panels, cut and glued? Easy and quick build; but
            may exceed your 80lbs limit? Wooboo also takes six sheets of ply, I
            think.

          • graeme19121984
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 1, 2005
              Actually, is the "Jinny" hull a slightly bigger "June Bug", or a re-
              worked "Cold Water Sailboard" (Chapter 5 FS)?

              I've thought about camper mods to "CWS".

              cheers
              graeme

              wrote:
              > Hi Gary, I just realised from here: (see pp 3 & 9)
              >
              > http://www.boatdesign.com/postings/Files/instbb/ib9.pdf
              >
              > that "Jinni" is a plumb-sided squareboat. Slightly bigger than "June
              > Bug" eh? Pretty. Fast.
            • Chris Lasdauskas
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 2, 2005
                gbship wrote:

                > Graeme:
                >
                > Thanks. Found them. That beach cruiser is interesting. I'm looking
                > for womething that can be built of foam/epoxy/glass instead of
                > ply/glass for an ultra-light boat, hopefully in the 70-80 pound
                > range. Candidates are these two boats, Michalak's Woodbo, and maybe
                > Gypsy, with some modifications (I want a reefing sail and room to
                > sleep on board under a boom tent. Not sure the Beach Cruiser could be
                > done light enough, but it sure is a seductive design.
                >
                > Gary

                Gary,
                I forget the details, but a few years ago I sat down and worked out the
                weight for Gypsy built out of various types of Ply and alternatively
                from glassed foam. The foam was heavier than at least the lightest
                (possibly all) ply variation.

                I vaguely recall the issue was getting reasonable penetration protection.

                Chris
              • gbship
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 2, 2005
                  Graeme, I'm not sure Jimmi would row as well as the others, although it
                  would be a possibility. It would be a better bet if two of us do this
                  competition instead of me doing it solo. I would tend to think a multi-
                  chine like Gypsy or Woodbo would be better, or if it's a sharpie hull,
                  it would have to be faily narrow for its length, like the Beach Cruiser.

                  Chris: How do you figure scantlings for foam/glass construction? I've
                  done some online looking, but haven't found any resources. A friend
                  laminated a couple layers of glass on either side of 3/8 inch foam (I
                  think that was the thickness) and you could whack it with a hammer
                  without damage and it was considerably lighter than a ply sandwich
                  would have been. I made some hatches for our Frolic2 of glass over 1/4-
                  inch foam and those are reasonably strong, and very light, but not
                  strong enough for use for a hull. I have no idea if I should use
                  thicker foam, more glass, or both for suitable strength. For that
                  matter, if the budget allows, it's possible I'll got to carbon
                  fiber/foam, which should be even lighter, but again, I have no idea of
                  the suitable scantlings....

                  Gary
                • graeme19121984
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 2, 2005
                    Gary, "competition" changes things. IIRC Tom F Jones in "Low
                    Resistance Boats" wrote of a <100 lbs garvey he once designed for a
                    week-or-so long beachcruising race in which boats (solo) had to
                    carry all their necessaries, and be able to be beached well above
                    high water by their crew without any assistance of any kind each
                    night. I liked the idea of that little cute sneakbox style 3/4
                    decked cruiser a lot, and swear I would have built one if Jones
                    published plans. Its owner loved it and enjoyed lengthy cruises and
                    messing about in it for many years. It was no racer though. A wiser
                    Jones wrote that if he had to do it again for that type of
                    competition he would design something minimumalist canoe like. The
                    sailing was not quite as important a factor as lightness and rowing.

                    How about an adjusted "Zephyr" for two? length/beam > 6/1. (with
                    reduced scantlings? Anhinga at 23'5" has only 0.25" ply sides)

                    graeme

                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "gbship" <gbship@c...> wrote:
                    > Graeme, I'm not sure Jimmi would row as well as the others,
                    although it
                    > would be a possibility. It would be a better bet if two of us do
                    this
                    > competition instead of me doing it solo. I would tend to think a
                    multi-
                    > chine like Gypsy or Woodbo would be better, or if it's a sharpie
                    hull,
                    > it would have to be faily narrow for its length, like the Beach
                    Cruiser.

                    > Chris: How do you figure scantlings for foam/glass construction?
                    I've
                    > done some online looking, but haven't found any resources. A
                    friend
                    > laminated a couple layers of glass on either side of 3/8 inch foam
                    (I
                    > think that was the thickness) and you could whack it with a hammer
                    > without damage and it was considerably lighter than a ply sandwich
                    > would have been. I made some hatches for our Frolic2 of glass over
                    1/4-
                    > inch foam and those are reasonably strong, and very light, but not
                    > strong enough for use for a hull. I have no idea if I should use
                    > thicker foam, more glass, or both for suitable strength. For that
                    > matter, if the budget allows, it's possible I'll got to carbon
                    > fiber/foam, which should be even lighter, but again, I have no
                    idea of
                    > the suitable scantlings....
                    >
                    > Gary
                  • Howard Stephenson
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 2, 2005
                      Gary,

                      If you go to:

                      http://boatdesign.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-6334

                      .. you will find useful guidance on foam/glass scantlings. Following
                      the advice there, you should be able to decide what your scantlings
                      would need to be and then compare the calculated weight per unit area
                      with that of a ply skin -- and compare the cost too!

                      Howard

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 2, 2005
                        gbship wrote:

                        > Chris: How do you figure scantlings for foam/glass construction? I've
                        > done some online looking, but haven't found any resources.

                        Gary, as I said it was a few years back, so this may not be right, but I
                        think I used "The Elements of Boat Strength for Builders, Designers, and
                        Owners" by Dave Gerr (though that is copyright 2000, and I thought I did
                        this in about 1999..., perhaps I used his "The Nature of Boats"), I
                        think I also didn't find much online.

                        > A friend
                        > laminated a couple layers of glass on either side of 3/8 inch foam (I
                        > think that was the thickness) and you could whack it with a hammer
                        > without damage and it was considerably lighter than a ply sandwich
                        > would have been.

                        Which reminds me of this cautionary story from "The Nature of Boats":

                        'A Warning About Being Thin-Skinned

                        'A final word of warning is in order. When using these high-strength
                        fibers and sandwich construction, the skin thickness required for
                        overall —- remember overall -— structural strength can become almost
                        unbelievably thin, even on quite large vessels. This works out well on
                        paper, but what about hitting a floating log? A well-known designer
                        related a story both amusing and worrisome. A local builder of large
                        (90-foot, 27-meter) high-speed sportfishermen proudly showed him an
                        all-Kevlar, foam-sandwich hull panel that he'd used in a couple of
                        recent craft. The builder explained that his computer confirmed the
                        very, very thin skins (on the inside and outside of the foam) were more
                        than up to the job.

                        'To demonstrate his point, the builder took a hammer and wacked at the
                        sample panel mightily. With the hammer bouncing off harmlessly, he
                        offered it confidently to the skeptical architect. Taking the hammer,
                        the architect turned it claw-side down and -— with virtually no force at
                        all -— drove it right through Kevlar, the foam, and out the other side.
                        The builder's face turned white. He had a couple of boats out on the
                        water with this layup. The moral -— there's always a moral -— is that
                        the structural design of high-tech hulls is a complicated business.
                        Before you dash off to build or have built one of these miracle hulls,
                        make sure a good naval architect does a detailed structural analysis.'

                        That's what I was talking about when I mentioned penetration strength.
                        Sure a Gypsy isn't going to hit logs at 30 knots, but the scantlings
                        will already be redeuced in proportion to the speed. You can't let the
                        skins get too thin. 'Too thin' on foam is thinnner than 'too thin' on
                        ply. Avoiding that was where the extra weight came from.

                        Chris
                      • gbship
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 3, 2005

                          > That's what I was talking about when I mentioned penetration
                          strength.
                          > Sure a Gypsy isn't going to hit logs at 30 knots, but the scantlings
                          > will already be redeuced in proportion to the speed. You can't let
                          the
                          > skins get too thin. 'Too thin' on foam is thinnner than 'too thin' on
                          > ply. Avoiding that was where the extra weight came from.
                          >
                          > Chris

                          Thanks everyone for the thought and advice. I should have explained
                          better the use for this boat. It's for an expedition type competition
                          of around 1,000 miles, give or take, for kayaks and small sailboats.
                          Among the salient features, are you must beach launch your craft (You
                          can use mechanical assistance, but you must carry whatever you use for
                          the entire race), the ability to go under a 9-foot high bridge with 10-
                          foot horizontal clearance, deal with open water and inland waterways
                          churned by powerboat wakes, etc. This race is around the peninsula part
                          of Florida, so at one point, competitors have to go up the St. Mary's
                          river (in S. Georgia) and then portage their boats 40 MILES to the
                          Suwanee. The kayakers balance their boats on a set of wheels, attach
                          the bow to the back of their belt and walk it. They can also tow it
                          with a folding bike -- as long as they carry the bike for the entire
                          race. Obviously this won't work for sailboats, which even in a small
                          size weigh much more. So those comeptitors are allowed to switch to a
                          canoe for the necessary river portions and the portage. You can see the
                          details at Watertribe.com, check the Ultra Florida Challenge section.
                          We're only planning to do the shorter Everglades Challenge in 2006, in
                          our Frolic2, but I'm intrigued with trying the longer race in 2007. My
                          particular itch right now is to wonder if a small sailboat could be
                          built light enough so that switching to the canoe would be unnecessary,
                          even for the portage (which I would do with a bike!).

                          But, alas, I know almost nothing of composite construction, which is
                          why everyone's advice is so helpful and much appreciated. It does no
                          good to have an ultralight hull if it's punctured by a razor sharp
                          shell on an oyster bar, or a cypress knee or mangrove root in the
                          Everglades, or by a rock or log in the Suwanee. The weight concern is
                          why I've been mostly looking at ply instant-type boats in the 125 to
                          150 pound range and wondering if that weight could be cut in half with
                          composite construction. There are intriguing hints. For example, my 25-
                          30 pound solid wood mast on the Rolic2 could be replaced by a carbon
                          fiber spar that would weight less than 10 pounds. In Pete Goss' book
                          about single handed racing around the world, he mentions that the bare
                          hull of his 50 footer could be turned over by 6 husky guys --- about
                          what the 1/2 inch ply/fiberglass bare hull weighs on our 30-footer
                          (which is a Gypsy-type hull).

                          BTW Graeme, thanks for the suggestion of the Zephyr, but I ruled that
                          out because while it is an excellent daysailer and can handle some
                          nasty weather, it doesn't row very well, possibly because the 16-inch
                          sides are too high. (I had one for many years, and was very fond of it.)

                          Gary Blankenship
                        • John B. Trussell
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 3, 2005
                            There have been various threads wich suggest that PCB doesn't design
                            "racing" boats. You might take a look at Paul Gartside's web site--His
                            Flashboat is a very light, very fast row boat and he has camp cruised around
                            Alaska in it.

                            It appears to me that the rules you described favor a kayak with a sail.
                            I've always thought that a two person rowing boat would do well in this sort
                            of race--the two rowers could alternate and maintain speed more or less
                            continuously; they would also have the ability to row together and buck
                            currents if needed.

                            I'm way too old and decrepit to participate or even enjoy the kind of boat
                            needed for this kind of event, but iy si fun to think about.

                            John T
> [...]
                            > why I've been mostly looking at ply instant-type boats in the 125 to
                            > 150 pound range and wondering if that weight could be cut in half with
                            > composite construction. There are intriguing hints. For example, my 25-
                            > 30 pound solid wood mast on the Rolic2 could be replaced by a carbon
                            > fiber spar that would weight less than 10 pounds. In Pete Goss' book
                            > about single handed racing around the world, he mentions that the bare
                            > hull of his 50 footer could be turned over by 6 husky guys --- about
                            > what the 1/2 inch ply/fiberglass bare hull weighs on our 30-footer
                            > (which is a Gypsy-type hull).
                            >
                            > BTW Graeme, thanks for the suggestion of the Zephyr, but I ruled that
                            > out because while it is an excellent daysailer and can handle some
                            > nasty weather, it doesn't row very well, possibly because the 16-inch
                            > sides are too high. (I had one for many years, and was very fond of it.)

                            (978) 282-1349
                            > Yahoo! Groups Links
                            >

                            > --

                          • Gary Lepak
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 3, 2005
                              Gary,

                              For what it's worth, I once built a Bolger Dolphin, (Small Boats, Design
                              #259, 18' x 4') out of 3/8" Airex foam with two layers of 6 oz glass inside
                              and out. It was a stripped down rowboat version, no centerboard, rudder or
                              rig. It weighed about a 100 lbs. I never weighed it, but two people could
                              throw it over their heads like a canoe. It seemed quite tough, and I never
                              worried about punctures or breakage. Of course it is a compound curved
                              hull so the bulding took some time with lofting and moldmaking, but you
                              would get a strong light hull this way. These days I would use Corefoam,
                              though it is expensive.

                              For a cheaper light boat that would be quicker to build I might try
                              lapstrake plywood. You could vary the plank thickness, say 4 to 5 mm on the
                              bottom and 3mm topsides.

                              Gary Lepak
                              Port Angeles, WA
                            • Howard Stephenson
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 3, 2005
                                To see a boat that is suitable for South Georgia, go to:

                                http://www.ibiblio.org/ebooks/Shackleton/South/057.jpg

                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 3, 2005
                                  Perhaps *the* small boat team time trial endurance event.

                                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Howard Stephenson" <stephensonhw@a...>
                                  wrote:
                                  > To see a boat that is suitable for South Georgia, go to:
                                  >
                                  > http://www.ibiblio.org/ebooks/Shackleton/South/057.jpg
                                  >
                                  > Howard ;-]
                                  >
                                  > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "gbship" <gbship@c...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > so at one point, competitors have to go up the St. Mary's
                                  > > river (in S. Georgia) and then portage their boats 40 MILES
                                • James Greene
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jul 3, 2005
                                    Wow, when I was thinking abut glass over foam construction I was
                                    considering 1 inch foam or thicker for the hulls. You guys are using
                                    foam that's less than half this thickness! Interesting ...

                                    James Greene

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jul 3, 2005
                                      > These days I would use Corefoam,
                                      > though it is expensive.

                                      I wonder if the cheapest available foam might not be "good enough" for
                                      most small boats, provided it fills the void between the inner and
                                      outer skins and does not separate from them. Does this leave out good
                                      old fashioned styrofoam I wonder?

                                      James Greene
                                    • Clyde Wisner
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jul 4, 2005
                                        I think I used inch and a half foam for my Brick and had to use a lot of
                                        glass and epoxy to get strength to stand in. I also made a deck of sorts
                                        from 1/4 ply so the sides wouldn't bolge out. Overall, not worth the
                                        money in glass and epoxy, and the trouble. If you do go forward, I would
                                        think a multi
                                        chine rather than large flat areas like the bottom of a Brick. My foam
                                        Brick floats upside down of course and almost floated away during
                                        Isabell, which might not have been bad. Clyde.

                                        James Greene wrote:

                                        > > These days I would use Corefoam,
                                        > > though it is expensive.
                                        >
                                        > I wonder if the cheapest available foam might not be "good enough" for
                                        > most small boats, provided it fills the void between the inner and
                                        > outer skins and does not separate from them. Does this leave out good
                                        > old fashioned styrofoam I wonder?
                                        >
                                        > James Greene

                                        > Fax: (978) 282-1349

                                      • Chris Stewart
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jul 4, 2005
                                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Chris Lasdauskas <cml@t...> wrote:
                                          > 'To demonstrate his point, the builder took a hammer and wacked at
                                          the
                                          > sample panel mightily. With the hammer bouncing off harmlessly, he
                                          > offered it confidently to the skeptical architect. Taking the hammer,
                                          > the architect turned it claw-side down and -— with virtually no force
                                          at
                                          > all -— drove it right through Kevlar, the foam, and out the other
                                          side.

                                          Consider skin on frame constuction using 26 ounce double ply woven
                                          nylon skin. Quoting from "UMIAK An Illustrated Guide" by Skip Snaith:
                                          "The 26-ounce double-weave nylon skin on Tim's boat was incredibly
                                          tough; you could hit it with the claw end of a hammer as hard as you
                                          liked, and the hammer would bounce back."

                                          Skin on frame can produce very light boats. Platt Monfort's Geodesic
                                          Aerolight boats are incredibly light, but probably not strong enough
                                          for the Watertribe Challenge. Up the scantlings a bit, with the frame
                                          lashed rather than glued to preserve flexibility, and use a much
                                          tougher skin and you'd end up with a light, resilient boat.

                                          Chris Stewart
                                        • Gary Lepak
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jul 4, 2005
                                            James,
                                            The boatbuilding foams like Airex, Corecell and Divinicell are more dense
                                            than styrofoam. 5 to 8 lbs per cubic ft. compared to 1.1 (white) to 2
                                            (pink or blue). The lighter the foam the thicker the skin needs to be to
                                            maintain the bond when struck. I've built two boats from blue foam, a tri
                                            that didn't last very long made of 1" thick foam with glass/epoxy skins,
                                            and a solid foam paddleboard I still have. The board has two layers of 6
                                            oz glass in epoxy resin on the bottom and a 3mm ply deck. The two layers of
                                            6 are about minimum I think, and it is still easily punctured or dented. It
                                            just doesn't matter much if it is, as it still floats, being solid foam. If
                                            you are always building boats with epoxy anyway, you fill the dings easily.
                                            The ply deck seems to take a lot of abuse without delaminating though, and
                                            could make a good boat with 1" foam inside 3mm ply with glass inside, but
                                            would probably weigh as much as 1/4" ply. I like using the blue foam though
                                            and still use it for things like outrigger floats or sponsons, i.e. solid
                                            foam objects with glass skin, rather than as a foam sandwich hull skin .
                                            Gary Lepak

                                            ----- Original Message ----- > I wonder if the cheapest available foam might