Re: [bolger] Re: Lapstrake stuff

  • John B. Trussell
    Message 1 of 70 , Jun 29, 2005
      Howard--New factory built boats are extremely expensive. However, used
      fiberglass boats are amizingly inexpensive, particularly since the price of
      a used boat generally includes a trailer and sails (and sometimes a motor,
      anchor, compass, and other gear). It may be possible to build a hull for
      less than the price of a used boat, but by the time you factor in the cost
      of all the stuff that comes with a used boat, the economics favor the used
      boat over the owner built boat.

      The logic of buying a used boat only works if you can find a used boat of
      the type you want. If you want a different boat, you pretty much have to
      have it built by someone or build it yourself. PCB has made a career out of
      designing different boats and selling plans for them. I've built some of
      his designs (Thomaston Galley, Scooner, and Sweet Pea) and I am unaware of
      any commercially available boat, new or used, which is comparable to these
      designs.

      As for the reward, I find that taking a pile of wood and turning it into a
      boat which meets my wants is a pretty good reward. Sailing in a boat and
      saying to yourself, "This is my boat, built the way I want it, and it is
      good!" is a reward. And when people ask where you got the boat, it is a
      reward to say "I built it."

      The only problem with building boats is that it becomes addictive. I
      started nearly 40 years ago and project number 10 is currently in the fill
      and sand stage in the garage.

      John T