Re: [bolger] Cheap materials

  • catboat15@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2005
      In a message dated 6/29/2005 8:08:49 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
      bolger@yahoogroups.com writes:

      The longer one waits the lower the quality of even the cheapest and
      mid-range stuff gets.

      Right on, Nels: I built one of Bolger's boats about 10-12 years ago. (Long
      sold to a couple that wanted to join our Messabout Society.) and used ACX ply.
      Went together just like the instructions showed and not much difference
      between the A side and the X side after fiber glass and paint. Few voids that were
      easy to fill with splinters and epoxy.
      I just gave away my Shell kit boat (Swifty 15) as it was too clumsy for me
      to row well (too wide at the six foot beam).
      So decided I need a boat here in the desert (In case of a flood LOL>) so
      purchased four sheets of AXC ply locally. What junk! On my previous purchase the
      C side was better than the A side of the recent purchase. I only cut out a
      couple of formers and laid them aside and they warped like a pretzel curling up
      in one area and curling down in another.
      So sprung for a few sheets of five ply luan from a plywood house. The
      shipping cost more than the wood, but now the pieces are going together well (Well,
      as well as can be expected with my skills, had to add some splinter fillers
      this morning before the putty.
      The only problem with the luan is that my pencil marks don't show up well in
      the daylight out here (That was where I went off the cutting lines and needed
      fillers.)
      BTW. Nice going to myself, blame the poor pencil not my stupidity.

      John Meacham
      High desert of California
      Bolger Cartopper.