Long Micro pictures- Reloaded, and lead keel

  • William King
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2005
      Hi all,
      I have updated (somewhat) the pictures on my webspace. These pictures document
      the construction of my Long Micro (which I have been building since
      September 2003).
      http://personal.bgsu.edu/~kingw/Boat/

      Again, no text, just links to the pictures. If you have questions just
      ask. If you
      have comments just write. If you have critiques just keep them to
      yourself. This batch
      of pictures shows some more recent overall shots of the boat (when I was
      flipping it back
      upright), as well as the details of my self-bailing cockpit framing. At
      this point I am about
      done with my cockpit seats (I'm finishing the lids). Unfortunately, it's
      difficult getting good
      photos with the boat upright in the garage. I'll see what I can do, but I
      wasn't happy with
      my last batch of cockpit seat pictures.

      I have not poured my keel yet, but I did make a little progress in my
      thinking and organizing the
      process. Here's my thinking at this point.
      I was looking thorough my collection of old "CSD Newsletters." I read that
      someone had made a
      keel mold out of steel. Then they heated their mold and melted the lead
      right in the mold. Sounds
      like a good idea (ja?). I have enough steel in my garage and a welder, so
      I'm going to weld up a keel mold. At this point I'm leaning towards using
      charcoal briquettes or firewood and a leafblower as a heat source (thanks
      for the idea Bruce). I even have a willing accomplice who will let me use his
      place and some of his equipment (i.e., leaf blower, and an old
      woodstove). This all won't happen
      for a couple of weeks, but I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts on the steel
      mold idea.

      Thoughts?
      Bill, in Ohio