Re: short shaft on diablo

  • sals_dad
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 28, 2005
      I use a short shaft Yamaha 25HP 4 stroke. When I bought Diablo it had
      a 15 hp short shaft, on 20" (or was it 19"? transom. Ran OK, once in
      a while got some prop ventilation, especially with adults in the bow
      seat.

      I rebuilt much of the boat before putting the 25 on; rather than
      cutting the transom down, I cut a 2" deep by 8" wide notch out of the
      bottom and transom, effectively creating an 18" transom. May have
      lost a bit of speed, but it runs great in very shallow water.

      If the boat is already built, try it as is, before playing with
      modifications! If you do cut the transom down, just continue the V
      profile down to the desired depth. Unless you're doing a lot of
      beaching in surf, or plan to hang a heavy beast out on the stern (my
      yamaha weighs about 140) I wouldn't worry too much; the corners are
      plenty high.

      I don't much like Bolger's scheme for flotation in Diablo, though.

      Sal's Dad