Re: [bolger] Digest Number 2518

  • wmrpage@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 26 1:20 PM
      In a message dated 6/26/05 7:49:21 AM Central Daylight Time,
      John.Trussell@... writes:

      > I've got an
      > old back and old eyes. For me, a saber saw (mine is a Bosch) is lighter and
      > cuts more slowly than a skil saw.

      I, too, have an old back and old eyes, not to mention limited
      attention span, poor fine-motor muscular coordination and lack of spatial relations!
      I, too, use a saber saw to cut out panels (mine is a B&D "Professional" [LOL)
      unit, probably 2 decades old). With a common 10 pt./in. wood cutting blade and
      the "orbit" setting on the "fine" end of the scale, it cuts through 2 X 1/4"
      (6mm), clamped-together, occume panels as fast as I want to go, with no
      splintering, but lots of sawdust - coarse, medium and fine. This saw has no
      dust-extraction or dust-blowing function, and the accumulation of dust ahead of the
      blade, when using it against a batten as a guide, is a bit of a problem. It might
      not be a problem if you are sighting the cut by eye, rather than using a
      batten, but I don't know. I used a batten this weekend and didn't do any
      comparative trials.

      This weekend I cut up 4 sheets of very nice "Joubert" brand occume
      marine ply (approx. $60 + tax/sheet, Elmo's Lumber, Lake Elmo, MN) to make
      planks. I decided that I would get better results by using the batten I used to draw
      the dimensions to act as a fence for my saw than by cutting to the line
      freehand. (My cuts with the saber saw tend to be visibly "wavy." In the hands of
      someone who knows what he is doing, a Skilsaw might be a better choice of tool.)

      My saber saw has a rectangular base approx. 3" X 6". It occurred to me
      to accurately cut to a line, guided by a batten, I needed to have a circular
      base, centered on the blade's front edge. I made a desultory, uninteresting
      and uncompleted attempt at constructing such a base. I decided that, except for
      the most sharply curved portions, the errors introduced by the interplay
      between the curved batten and the rectangular saw base would be small and as likely
      to cancel out earlier errors as to exacerbate them. The jury is still out on
      this issue, but I'll have to live with the consequences!

      Ciao for Niao,
      Bill in MN