super brick

  • mark
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 17, 2005
      I have PB's book and have looked at the SB, but am having some trouble
      visualising the layout. IF no one has built this monster, has anyone
      built a model. Seems to have what I am looking for and for only
      20ft. wow.

      Just a sugestion,If anyone from PB&F monitors this link, you really
      need a web site to offer your plans on. People could see samples,
      study plans, photos and you might really sell more plans. I would
      like a lot more info on the SB before I shell out $200 clams on
      something that I might not build after I looked over the details.

      I am not talking about the plans in the books, that is exactly what
      they are, study plans, but you have so many designs that I actually
      might incorporate some idea you had in plan x into plan y, such as
      dinette, or berths, or dinghy stowage.

      any cheers.
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 17, 2005
        > I have PB's book and have looked at the SB, but am having some trouble
        > visualising the layout. IF no one has built this monster, has anyone
        > built a model. Seems to have what I am looking for and for only
        > 20ft. wow.

        Here is a link to photos of a model I built
        http://hallman.org/bolger/Superbrick/

        Someone else might also remember the link to a 3D computer
        rendering of Superbrick, which is even more helpful.

        I think that the book reproduces nearly all of the sheets of the
        plans, less one sheet that shows framing and other minor details.

        Study the book closely and you can grasp the full interior layout.
        Making a model can also be useful to help visualize things.

        I am guessing that PB&F have the attitude that life is too short
        to waste on diversions such as maintaining a website catalogue when
        time could rather be spent on designing more boats. [We want I60!]
      • mark
        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 17, 2005
          fascinating, can't see that the foredeak is that way, I would not
          build it that even if the plans called for it. should be a smooth
          curve from the cockpit/cabin op to the bow. Wonder how it sails
          with the mast off center. Really wish some one would build one and
          post photos. The book does not even talk about materials, wonder
          what the material list looks like, would be great way to estimate
          cost.

          thanks

          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 17, 2005
            > what the material list looks like, would be great way to estimate
            > cost.
            > thanks

            Perhaps 45 sheets of 1/2" plywood?
            plus 300 board feet of framing lumber.
            Here is my estimate of the labor, I am optimistic of course,
            but 600 manhours could do it.

            =======
            hrs piece
            ==============
            2 Bow transom
            2 Bulkhead A
            2 Bulkhead B
            2 Bulkhead C
            2 Bulkhead D
            2 Stern transom
            4 Bottom joists
            2 Main floor
            2 Dbl Berth platform
            2 Dbl Berth riser
            2 Dbl Berth hatches
            2 Single berth starboard
            2 Single berth port
            2 Motor compartment bottom
            2 Motor compartment sides
            4 Washroom walls
            2 Washroom door
            4 Fiberglassing washroom
            4 Off-Centerboard
            2 Off-centerboard lead
            4 Off-centerboard pivot hardware
            4 Off-centerboard case
            2 Bookshelf at dbl berth
            2 Mainmast step box
            1 Mainmast shelf reinforcements
            8 Top opening icebox
            8 Drop leaf table
            8 Drawers under single berths
            8 Sink cabinet & sink
            8 Stove cabinet and drawers
            8 Dresser drawer and desk
            4 Lower side portside
            4 Lower side starboardside
            4 Bottom panels
            2 Bottom to side chine logs
            2 Lowerside to topside nail strip
            4 Topside portside
            4 Porthole window
            4 Topside starboardside
            8 Windows at dbl berth
            8 Windows at single berths
            2 Single berth closet rods
            4 Motor mount transom board
            4 Motor well flush hatches
            2 Footwell sides at cockpit
            2 Flush hatch at cockpit
            8 Cockpit seatback bulwark
            2 Cockpit seatback hatches
            4 Cockpit seating 'deck'
            4 Aft face of trunk
            4 hatch boards in trunk
            8 Sliding hatch at trunktop
            8 Portside trunk cabinets
            4 Outside sides of trunk
            4 Forward face of trunk
            2 Window on forward face of trunk
            2 Hatch shroud
            4 Trunk top
            4 Disco deck
            2 Disco deck sides
            20 Shoebox punt
            4 Running lights
            8 Mast
            16 Lanteen yards
            8 Lanteen rig hardware
            8 Polytarp sails
            4 Top piece of rudder
            4 Rudder hardware
            4 Tiller
            4 Bottom piece of rudder
            2 Lead ballast in bottom of rudder
            2 Anchor cleat
            2 Mooring cleat
            311 total hours
          • mark
            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 17, 2005
              why not a turtle/tortise, can't remember which, it sails and rows
              as well.

              does the foredeak really look like your model?

            • mark
              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 17, 2005
                is that AC ext plywood? How much is that where you live, here they
                are bout $20 sheet. 2x4 are still under $3 for example. so wood
                billcould be less than 1500 for a boat like this. Where could get
                the sail. Since this boat is untried, wonder if a lower mainsail,
                and an additional rear sail, sorta an offset cat yawl would do. I
                think this is a great boat for waterfront property with out the
                waterfront taxes. AS I said you could park her, and use other boats
                such as a pelican to explore, fish whatever and return to the
                mothership as needed. Even making grocery store runs in the pelican.

                If you can't tell, I am a scow man! Just wish I knew how to sail.
                soon, very soon.

                for what its worth here is the pontoon boat that I am starting this
                weekend.

                http://www.svensons.com/boat/?p=Novelty/Pontune

                cheers

              • Philip Smith
                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 17, 2005
                  --- mark <planzman@...> wrote:

                  Snip...

                  Just a sugestion,If anyone from PB&F monitors this
                  link, you really need a web site to offer your plans
                  on. People could see samples, study plans, photos and
                  you might really sell more plans.

                  Snip

                  They don't monitor the site. They design boats.

                  I think your points are valid. If you wish to
                  communicate with PB&F, just fax 'em or mail 'em on
                  over.

                  I personally believe that PB&F would make much more
                  money than even hiring a professiona Web Lacky to
                  create and manage a web site. However PB&F don't 1)
                  think that they'd have enough control with out
                  devoting too much of their time and 2) are
                  perfectionists so that they want to see their web site
                  done properly and with sufficent care and quality that
                  they can't see how it could be done without devoting
                  too much of their time.

                  The real problem is that their time is the constraint.
                  As several people on this group can attest, they are
                  overworked when it comes to completing new designs. In
                  addition to designing boats they lead very interesting
                  lives and have a lot of fun with each other.

                  As much as I'd like to see them prosper and as much as
                  I'd love, love, love to see all 700 or so designs on
                  line with sufficient detail to make us all salivate or
                  turn up our noses, I can't say that I think they are
                  making the wrong descision on where to spend their
                  time.

                  YMMV (your milage may vary)

                  Phil Smith
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 17, 2005
                    > I'd love, love, love to see all 700 or so designs on
                    > line with sufficient detail to make us all salivate or
                    > turn up our noses,
                    > Phil Smith

                    It could easily turn into a full time job, [or more], just answering
                    all the questions an online catalogue could generate.

                    If you want to see Bolger study plans,
                    subscribe to Messing About in Boats magazine.
                  • Wayne
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 17, 2005
                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Philip Smith <pbs@w...> wrote:

                      > --- mark <planzman@y...> wrote:
                      >
                      > Snip...
                      >
                      > Just a sugestion,If anyone from PB&F monitors this
                      > link, you really need a web site to offer your plans
                      > on. People could see samples, study plans, photos and
                      > you might really sell more plans.

                      CC: Iain Oughtred

                      Oops, Iain doesn't do computers either. For designing or selling.

                      Wayne
                      In the Swamp.
                    • Philip Smith
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 17, 2005
                        --- Bruce Hallman <bruce@...> wrote:

                        Snip ---

                        If you want to see Bolger study plans, subscribe to
                        Messing About in Boats magazine.

                        UnSnip ---

                        And buy all his books and old issues of Small Boat
                        Journal and a couple of regional magazines in which
                        PB&F published their designs, and...

                        Phil Smith

                        who gave away or threw out all his Small Boat Journals
                        when he moved last year.
                      • ANDREW AIREY
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 20, 2005
                          Didn't Phil intend it as a sort of bad joke and windup
                          on more conventional boats,but not neccessarily
                          something to be built
                          Cheers
                          Andy

                          ---------------------------------

                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Hallman
                          <bruce@h...> wrote:
                          > > I have PB's book and have looked at the SB, but am
                          having some
                          trouble
                          > > visualising the layout. IF no one has built this
                          monster, has
                          anyone
                          > > built a model. Seems to have what I am looking
                          for and for only
                          > > 20ft. wow.
                          >
                          > Here is a link to photos of a model I built
                          > http://hallman.org/bolger/Superbrick/
                          >
                          > Someone else might also remember the link to a 3D
                          computer
                          > rendering of Superbrick, which is even more helpful.
                          >
                          > I think that the book reproduces nearly all of the
                          sheets of the
                          > plans, less one sheet that shows framing and other
                          minor details.

                          > Study the book closely and you can grasp the full
                          interior layout.
                          > Making a model can also be useful to help visualize
                          things.

                          > I am guessing that PB&F have the attitude that life
                          is too short
                          > to waste on diversions such as maintaining a website
                          catalogue
                          when
                          > time could rather be spent on designing more boats.
                          [We want I60!]

                          Bolger rules!!!
                          - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, or flogging
                          dead horses
                          - stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed,
                          thanks, Fred' posts
                          - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts,
                          and snip away
                          - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209,
                          Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
                          - Open discussion:
                          bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                          Terms of Service.

                        • s_paskey
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 21, 2005
                            Not at all. Although PCB has made disparaging comments about the design, some of his
                            remarks are tongue-in-cheek. The plans consist of six fully-detailed sheets and a
                            building key, and he wouldn't have gone to that trouble for the sake of a joke.

                            As PCB points out, it would be noisy and slow in choppy water, and the time and materials
                            required could be used to build a better boat. He also suggests that it would work
                            reasonably well, and notes that it would be self-righting, unsinkable, strong, and stiff.

                            If you wanted a weekend cabin on protected waters, never travelling far or fast, you
                            couldn't ask for more room in 20 feet of length.

                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, ANDREW AIREY <andyairey@y...> wrote:
                            > Didn't Phil intend it as a sort of bad joke and windup on more conventional boats,but
                            not neccessarily something to be built
                            > Cheers
                            > Andy
                          • mark
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 21, 2005
                              concur

                              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "s_paskey" <s_paskey@y...> wrote:
                              > Not at all. Although PCB has made disparaging comments about the
                              design, some of his
                              > remarks are tongue-in-cheek. The plans consist of six fully-
                              detailed sheets and a
                              > building key, and he wouldn't have gone to that trouble for the
                              sake of a joke.

                              > As PCB points out, it would be noisy and slow in choppy water, and
                              the time and materials
                              > required could be used to build a better boat. He also suggests
                              that it would work
                              > reasonably well, and notes that it would be self-righting,
                              unsinkable, strong, and stiff.

                              > If you wanted a weekend cabin on protected waters, never
                              travelling far or fast, you
                              > couldn't ask for more room in 20 feet of length.
                              >
                              > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, ANDREW AIREY <andyairey@y...> wrote:
                              > > Didn't Phil intend it as a sort of bad joke and windup on more
                              conventional boats,but
                              > not neccessarily something to be built
                              > > Cheers
                              > > Andy
                            • mark
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jun 21, 2005
                                c=gr&.dnm=superbrick4.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%
                                3a//photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger3/lst%3f%26.dir=/Superbrick%
                                26.src=gr%26.view=t

                                c=gr&.dnm=superbrick4.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%
                                3a//photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger3/lst%3f%26.dir=/Superbrick%
                                26.src=gr%26.view=t

                                interesting, anybody know who did these drawings and how?

                                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "mark" <planzman@y...> wrote:
                                > concur
                                >

                                > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "s_paskey" <s_paskey@y...> wrote:
                                > > Not at all. Although PCB has made disparaging comments about
                                the
                                > design, some of his
                                > > remarks are tongue-in-cheek. The plans consist of six fully-
                                > detailed sheets and a
                                > > building key, and he wouldn't have gone to that trouble for the
                                > sake of a joke.
                                > >
                                > > As PCB points out, it would be noisy and slow in choppy water,
                                and
                                > the time and materials
                                > > required could be used to build a better boat. He also suggests
                                > that it would work
                                > > reasonably well, and notes that it would be self-righting,
                                > unsinkable, strong, and stiff.
                                > >
                                > > If you wanted a weekend cabin on protected waters, never
                                > travelling far or fast, you
                                > > couldn't ask for more room in 20 feet of length.
                                > >
                                > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, ANDREW AIREY <andyairey@y...>
                                wrote:
                                > > > Didn't Phil intend it as a sort of bad joke and windup on more
                                > conventional boats,but
                                > > not neccessarily something to be built
                                > > > Cheers
                                > > > Andy
                              • mark
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 21, 2005
                                  c=gr&.dnm=superbrick4.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%
                                  3a//photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger3/lst%3f%26.dir=/Superbrick%
                                  26.src=gr%26.view=t

                                  c=gr&.dnm=superbrick4.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%
                                  3a//photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger3/lst%3f%26.dir=/Superbrick%
                                  26.src=gr%26.view=t

                                  interesting, anybody know who did these drawings and how?

                                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "mark" <planzman@y...> wrote:
                                  > concur
                                  >

                                  > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "s_paskey" <s_paskey@y...> wrote:
                                  > > Not at all. Although PCB has made disparaging comments about
                                  the
                                  > design, some of his
                                  > > remarks are tongue-in-cheek. The plans consist of six fully-
                                  > detailed sheets and a
                                  > > building key, and he wouldn't have gone to that trouble for the
                                  > sake of a joke.
                                  > >
                                  > > As PCB points out, it would be noisy and slow in choppy water,
                                  and
                                  > the time and materials
                                  > > required could be used to build a better boat. He also suggests
                                  > that it would work
                                  > > reasonably well, and notes that it would be self-righting,
                                  > unsinkable, strong, and stiff.
                                  > >
                                  > > If you wanted a weekend cabin on protected waters, never
                                  > travelling far or fast, you
                                  > > couldn't ask for more room in 20 feet of length.
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, ANDREW AIREY <andyairey@y...>
                                  wrote:
                                  > > > Didn't Phil intend it as a sort of bad joke and windup on more
                                  > conventional boats,but
                                  > > not neccessarily something to be built
                                  > > > Cheers
                                  > > > Andy
                                • Paul
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jun 21, 2005
                                    I think these are the Superbrick created for Virtual-Sailor. See:
                                    http://www.virtual-sailor.net/links/index.php?action=displaycat&catid=31&page=3&orderlinks=&perpage=15

                                    Paul

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jun 21, 2005
                                      Mark, please allow me to suggest that you use one of
                                      the URL shortening web sites. I like Tinyurl.com
                                      because it works and it's easy to type.

                                      Phil Smith

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jun 23, 2005
                                        > Not at all.

                                        I just got back from a holiday with many hours spent sailing
                                        a Tortoise, [identical shape hull and rig type as a Superbrick,
                                        just smaller]. The Tortoise sailed better to windward than my
                                        Teal and though shorter it was at times faster than my Teal.
                                        For all except the looks, Tortoise was an excellent sailboat.
                                        Superbrick should be a surprising sailboat, good too.
                                      • Ken
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jun 23, 2005
                                          Someone build it!!!

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Aug 6, 2005
                                            IMO Bolger can go to market as he wishes. Someone will end up in
                                            possesion of his work when he passes, and will make a nice living by
                                            properly marketing hundreds of the designs. I wish Bolger and the
                                            future much success, as they define it.

                                            What I do think is worth criticizing is Bolger taking commision $$s
                                            and then not delivering the work in a timely fashion. Because of his
                                            age, I consider his tardiness not delivering a hand full of designs
                                            members of this board have commisioned a big red flag concerning the
                                            man's health.

                                            I could be wrong (about his health) but all the other explanations
                                            would put his character in question, and I don't question his
                                            character.
                                          • Susan Davis
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Aug 6, 2005
                                              > What I do think is worth criticizing is Bolger taking commision $$s
                                              > and then not delivering the work in a timely fashion.

                                              Given the astonishingly cheap price for which Phil and Suzanne are
                                              designing what Phil describes as his greatest technical challenge for
                                              me, I'm inclined to give him a break. And I'd really rather have it
                                              done right than done to a deadline.

                                              -- Sue --
                                              (Also, I still haven't finished constructing the space where I'm going
                                              to build her yet....)

                                              --
                                              Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
                                            • donschultz8275
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Mar 1, 2006
                                                I assume that Bolger's productivity is waning.

                                                As a sales and marketing geek, I just shake my head at the missed
                                                revenue opportunities for PB&F. They are certainly eccentric people.
                                                It is easy to assume that at 80+ years that Bolger will pass on
                                                first. If that comes to pass, it will be interesting to see what
                                                Susan does with the legacy designs and the commissioned work.

                                                IMO it would be nice to see the body of work in the hands of a firm
                                                already in the industry and effective at marketing.

                                                I kinda think throwing money at an incomplete Bolger design is a bad
                                                idea.
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Mar 1, 2006
                                                  >.. it will be interesting to see what
                                                  > Susan does with the legacy designs and the commissioned work.

                                                  I hope and predict that PCB will live to see 100.
                                                  FWIW, SA is a talented boat designer too, and I imagine that she could
                                                  do lots of interesting things building upon the PB&F catalogue, indeed
                                                  she already has done so.
                                                • mednak2000
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Jan 5, 2009
                                                    Are there any plans out there for the superbrick or similar boat?
                                                  • Paul
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Jan 5, 2009
                                                      I got the plans for mine from PB&F but others have reported problems
                                                      getting plans from them lately.

                                                      Paul H
                                                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "mednak2000" <dccrc@...> wrote:

                                                      > Are there any plans out there for the superbrick or similar boat?

                                                    • jason nabors
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Jan 5, 2009
                                                        You could always go to pdracer.com and get a variation on the BOLGER BRICK and SUPER BRICK.The fellahs there are very nice and will help you with any tech problems you run into.I have been a member there for some time and have built several bricks.I am currently building larger boats but always keep a puddle duck around to get on the water with in a hurry or to race some folks once in a while.
                                                        Thanks
                                                        Jason Nabors