Info on Bolger Dakota

  • m frank
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 26, 2000
      Looking for info on the Bolger "Dakota". The very few references I have
      found seem to put it in the 37' range, between the Idaho and Wyoming. I
      assume it was in one of the now out of print books (prior to BWAOM)? Has
      anyone out there built, seen, or even have lines for it?

      Thanks for any help
      Marc Frank

      iWon.com www.iwon.com why wouldn't you?
    • Vince Chew
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 27, 2000
        I paid $300 for the plans. The arrangement plan
        shown in detail is a window cruiser style on the order of
        "Champlain". There are self-bailing cockpit wells fore and aft. There
        are 2 transom berths, a hanging locker, a convertible
        dinette,enclosed head w/sink, bureau w/ drawers, stove w/ oven, sink
        cabinet, double drawer galley cabinet, and very
        large icebox. There is a helm platform forward/starboard and folding
        seat/backrests for helmsperson and passenger on the forward ends of
        the icebox/starboard and the galley cabinet/port. There are swinging
        doors out to the cockpit wells centered in both the fore and aft
        cabin bulkheads.

        The plans show a bilgeboard, but Bolger included a
        note stating that while sometimes useful, the board was probably not
        worth the cost and effort to construct. This version shows foam
        flotation fore and aft.There is flow-through ventilation. Fuel is in
        2 permanent 135 liter tanks under the aft cockpit seats port and
        starboard. There is room for an additional portable fuel tank on the
        floor of the aft cockpit. (It should provide excellent range. Bolger
        recommends the Yamaha T-50 high-thrust 4 cycle outboard. This version
        showed a pair of "Junebug"tenders carried on the cabin roof top. One
        of the alternate arrangement plans shows a diesel inboard engine.

        I believe this plan was shown and discussed in MESSING ABOUT
        IN BOATS August 15, 1995. It was called "Prefabricated River Cruiser"
        in that article.

        The construction expansions and dimensions are for the hull
        only. You build a big open skiff. It can be used as an open boat, you
        can add one of Bolger's cabin suggestions, or, as he states, you can
        add one of your own creation. I plan to use the accomodation plan he
        detailed with only minor changes.