Re: Applecross - Micro Junk first sail unreefed

  • Martin Roberts
    Message 1 of 70 , Jun 3, 2005
      Bruce I have put some pictures in Bolger5 under Applecross.

      Difficult to get far enough back from the sail when you are on
      board. Yesterday I had the most exhilarating sail alongside a
      friend from the church in his Hillyard gaff rigged boat. Normally I
      have been unable to match her performance.
      Without her topsail my new rig outperformed and out pointed her for
      the first time. The wind was light and even against the strong tide
      I was able to make good progress.
      I will add some more phots of her sailing when I get someone else to
      take them.

      I have also include a pre-junk rig photo.
      As I have already said the main change is a new mast set at the rear
      of the well.
      I have also included a photo of my sail overlaid on the building
      plans. I hope this does not violate Phil's copyright as I have no
      wish to offend him.

      Martin
    • John B. Trussell
      Message 70 of 70 , Jun 29, 2005
        Howard--New factory built boats are extremely expensive. However, used
        fiberglass boats are amizingly inexpensive, particularly since the price of
        a used boat generally includes a trailer and sails (and sometimes a motor,
        anchor, compass, and other gear). It may be possible to build a hull for
        less than the price of a used boat, but by the time you factor in the cost
        of all the stuff that comes with a used boat, the economics favor the used
        boat over the owner built boat.

        The logic of buying a used boat only works if you can find a used boat of
        the type you want. If you want a different boat, you pretty much have to
        have it built by someone or build it yourself. PCB has made a career out of
        designing different boats and selling plans for them. I've built some of
        his designs (Thomaston Galley, Scooner, and Sweet Pea) and I am unaware of
        any commercially available boat, new or used, which is comparable to these
        designs.

        As for the reward, I find that taking a pile of wood and turning it into a
        boat which meets my wants is a pretty good reward. Sailing in a boat and
        saying to yourself, "This is my boat, built the way I want it, and it is
        good!" is a reward. And when people ask where you got the boat, it is a
        reward to say "I built it."

        The only problem with building boats is that it becomes addictive. I
        started nearly 40 years ago and project number 10 is currently in the fill
        and sand stage in the garage.

        John T